User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: What Canon-branded RF lenses do you want to see in 2023?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Canon-branded RF lenses do you want to see in 2023?

According to this Canon rumour the CEO of Canon JP promised to release 8 new lenses annually for the next 4 years.

If this is true what are the top 8 RF lenses do you want to see by this time next year?
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No interest in RF lenses at all. I tried an R Series camera. What a dog, I sold it. No interest in getting another one.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest - where does it stop. If you look over the EF and RF lenses available now I would guess only very speciality lenses need to be developed. The only good side to all this is the used EF lenses coming on to market.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    To be honest - where does it stop. If you look over the EF and RF lenses available now I would guess only very speciality lenses need to be developed. The only good side to all this is the used EF lenses coming on to market.
    Totally agree with you. A lot of photogs are selling their EF lenses at a discount because everyone wants the latest and greatest.

Months prior to the RF mount announcement in Sep 2018 I was approached by a friend to buy out my EF L lenses as he was putting up a studio.

Opportunity loss not to unload gear that I would want to transition to RF L mount for.

I hear the 2020 EOS R5 & 2021 EOS R3 are doing better than any previous RF mount body.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to buy some good cheap EF lenses. But the reality is that the only EF lens I particularly fancy that I haven't already got is the 400/4 DO II. Last time I looked, no-one with one of those beauties was selling it cheaply.

(I doubt that I'll ever change to the RF mount. If one day I am unsatisfied with the superb EF gear I have already, I might as well make a clean break and go to a different brand. I'm not happy with Canon. Where is the 5D V? Don't they care at all about their customers? Is my money not good enough for them? They can stick it where the sun don't shine.)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: 5D Mark V... I doubt Canon can recoup their investment into it.

I was talking to some 5D Mark IV owners that migrated to the R5.

They're happier with it than with the previous model.

What I dislike about the R5 is that I have to rebuy memory cards.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon would easily recoup their investment. No-brainer. Cost of development - very low. They have already spent the money on developing the sensor and most of the image processing chain, all they need to do is graft that into the existing 5D IV body - which is very nearly as perfect as a camera body can be. I used to spend serious money on cameras, year in and year out. 20D, 400D, another 20D, two 40Ds, 1D III, 50D, 7D, two 5D IIs, 7D II, 1D IV, 5D IV, 5DS R, not mention more lenses than I can remember ... then I tried their awful R series. Never again. How much do Canon get from me now? Nothing at all. And I am far from alone.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Canon would easily recoup their investment. No-brainer. Cost of development - very low. They have already spent the money on developing the sensor and most of the image processing chain, all they need to do is graft that into the existing 5D IV body - which is very nearly as perfect as a camera body can be. I used to spend serious money on cameras, year in and year out. 20D, 400D, another 20D, two 40Ds, 1D III, 50D, 7D, two 5D IIs, 7D II, 1D IV, 5D IV, 5DS R, not mention more lenses than I can remember ... then I tried their awful R series. Never again. How much do Canon get from me now? Nothing at all. And I am far from alone.
    Which RF body have you tried? R5 or R3?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EOS R. The worst camera I have ever owned. Yes, worse than the El-cheapo 400D; worse than the 5D II with its glorious state-of-the-art sensor and awful stone age autofocus system. Yes, worse than the little Nikon Coolpix 4500 which was, all things considered, a pretty good little unit in its day.

I have heard that the newer ones are better. Well, sure. They could hardly be worse. Maybe they have fixed the dreadfully unreliable, unpredictable autofocus. Maybe they have an electronic level that is actually usable. Maybe they have half-decent battery life. And maybe they have sorted out the terrible sidelight viewfinder problem. And maybe the lag is not as bad now. But whatever miracles they create, they will never manage to make a proper viewfinder in an R Series, one that you can look through for hours waiting for the magic moment. I might but another mirrorless camera for landscapes one day or might not, but why would I buy one from Canon when they have shafted me so badly? If I do buy one, I'll look for another maker, one with more respect for their loyal customers.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    EOS R. The worst camera I have ever owned. Yes, worse than the El-cheapo 400D; worse than the 5D II with its glorious state-of-the-art sensor and awful stone age autofocus system. Yes, worse than the little Nikon Coolpix 4500 which was, all things considered, a pretty good little unit in its day.

I have heard that the newer ones are better. Well, sure. They could hardly be worse. Maybe they have fixed the dreadfully unreliable, unpredictable autofocus. Maybe they have an electronic level that is actually usable. Maybe they have half-decent battery life. And maybe they have sorted out the terrible sidelight viewfinder problem. And maybe the lag is not as bad now. But whatever miracles they create, they will never manage to make a proper viewfinder in an R Series, one that you can look through for hours waiting for the magic moment. I might but another mirrorless camera for landscapes one day or might not, but why would I buy one from Canon when they have shafted me so badly? If I do buy one, I'll look for another maker, one with more respect for their loyal customers.
    I'd talk to Canon directly and express your disappointment. They may act correctly and make things right by providing you a free loaner for your critical evaluation.

I was watching the R5's performance with adapted EF L & Sigma lenses and was impressed with the keeper rate.

If I was still shooting 3x/week for 52 weeks/year I'd have picked one up before Putin invaded Ukraine.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pancake lens like a 2012 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM or a body-cap lens.

It would make the R5 "pocket-able"