Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Should you use an L plate?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should you use an L plate?

Hi all

I recently wrote a blog post about the advantages and disadvantages of using an L plate
    I use one all the time since I'm shooting landscapes, but if you didn't know about them or are undecided, the article may be useful to you?
    Hopefully it's useful to someone!

https://everlookphotography.wordpres...om8BM4a-bdc8go
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always called them a L Bracket. Is the different names manufacture specific or just one of those nuances?

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always seen them as being used interchangeably - sometimes even called L bracket-plates lol
    I like the sound of L plates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an L-Bracket on the D850 as it's now my main and absolutely love it. Very easy to work with and as some of the lenses are very heavy, it does feel far more stable having the camera/lens "on top" of the tripod and centrally located rather than dropped 90 degrees off the side of the ballhead. You can certainly feel the weight off the side and the rig is far least stable having less weight on 1 leg.
    You also get full adjustment of the ball head with the L bracket and quicker to level.
    Currently using;
    Nikon D850

Lotsa other bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my L-brackets not only for the obvious reasons of being able to switch from landscape to portrait in a jiffy whilst not upsetting the balance differential but also for the fact of protection against falls. Clumsy me tipped my D4s with a 20mm prime mounted to tripod over on a night shoot straight onto asphalt. Luckily for me it landed on the corner of the L Bracket with zero damage to anything, just a couple of scratches to the bracket.

D850
    | D4s | D500 | Nikkor Glass

"and the mountains shall bring peace to the people"...

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's definitely another positive! I have yet to come across someone who has tried one, and then decided it's not for them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Permanently attached - I rarely shoot without a tripod, it makes life so much easier and the protective qualities can't be beaten. Add's to the weight of the kit though and some people seem to be happy with a bit of camera blur!