User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: PC Spec for high quality digital art in Photoshop?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC Spec for high quality digital art in Photoshop?

A bloke I know needs a new PC, he says.
    (Let's assume for the moment he wants a PC not Apple.)

He does graphic design - very detailed drawings with MANY layers in photoshop.

(He also does some video editing, livestreaming via discord and stuff like that),

Obviously I'll clarify resolution, number of layers, file sizes etc with him but meanwhile I am tryin to work out what might be the key things to look at.

I've only really been following team AMD recently but am absolutely open to suggestions from team green too.

CPU - I was thinking something like an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X but if there is a worthwhile benefit to another 2 cores then consider a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X.

Mobo - (assume for now DDR4) I'm not sure if there are certain mobos better than others for this sort of work? A B550 of some sort I presume. (I don't know if there is any benefit in this use case for an x570, especially given the price difference).

GPU - am pretty sure that the graphics card makes little difference as long as it meets recommended spec and over-spending there is a waste of $. Certainly I gather CPU performance is much more important. It's pretty likely he can continue to use his existing GPU

RAM - probably 64GB.

Storage - at least one 2TB M2 NVME SSD, ideally 2.
    (Likely reuse any existing HDDs he has for storage)

Future 'proofing'. He's not the kind of guy that wants to upgrade regularly for the sake of it. Productivity is the focus for him. So he'll want something that will keep him going for say another 5 years without needing a major upgrade.

I'm thinking that there is no real need for him to spec a new DDR5 system and that a DDR4 system will be more than adequate, and much better value for money.

Input / thoughts / advice / experience welcome.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A preliminary question: What does he have now and what does he feel is wanting?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ascertaining that, of course. Just wondering what the must haves / nice to have / and largely irrelevant things are.