User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Manual Focus?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Craig Miller

Manual Focus?

I've noticed a few of my photos of late have been appaulingly out of focus. Now I know that I'll always have some shots that are complete garbage but I'm sure I spend enough time getting the focus right (or what looks right to me)

I know I have crappy eyes as I wear glases for reading and the computer but I didn't think they were THAT bad! Does anyone else have problems focusing through the tiny view finder?

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find focusing through the viewvinder a bit hit & miss. When shooting action (most of the time), i'll prefocus on the location where I want to take the shot, and get a focus lock on that (keeping the shutter button part depressed). Once the focus is locked (beep, AF points in focus flash red), I track the moving object into the "shooting zome" and take a burst of 3 or 4 as they pass through. One's usually in focus

How scientific is that!

I also find using only the single central AF point better as it avoids confusion. You then have a definite point of focus (hopefully) and can work the DOF around that.

edit: oops just realised you're talking manual focus Oops heheh.
    Canon EOS 20D -/- EF 200 f2.8L USM -/- EF 50 f1.8 -/- EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM -/- EF-S 18-55 f3.5-4.5 -/- Speedlight 580EX
    Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 DC EX HSM -/- 24 f1.8 DG EX HSM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    smooth knopey, mabye your vision is extra bad becuase of maintaining this forum

Craig Miller
    Ohh. I found this on the Canon site: Eyepiece Extender EP-EX15

For the bargin price of $35 from EBAY I think I might give one a try.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Canon have a viewfinder dioptic adjustment.

kinda like a bifocal adjustment on the viewfinder to help with Craigus's issues.

My eyes are generally OK (20/20... 21/20, I dunno? ), but I have struggled with focus on the D70s, it was so much easier to focus on the EM (or any other film Nikon I've tried) because of the split prism viewfinder!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Craig Miller
    Yes it has the viewfinder adjustment.

I just find it difficult get get right. All other SLR's I have used in the past have the same split prism focus system and I never had any problems. (though I didn't wear glasses then)

I have bought the extender so I'll see how things go when it turnes up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigus View Post
    Ohh. I found this on the Canon site: Eyepiece Extender EP-EX15

For the bargin price of $35 from EBAY I think I might give one a try.
    Hi there everyone.

The extender according to what I was told will make no difference it is the optic or dioptric that wont focus down for enough on the Canon I have the same problem, Brian let me know if it does make any difference if it does I will buy one right away.

Pat.
    A photograph is only as good as the eyes that look at it

Camera.s fuji S7000
    Canon 350d
    Kit len's
    Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro.
    Canon 28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS

If my pic isn't in the comments & crit section, please don't edit.

Craig Miller
    It makes the damn viewfinder even SMALLER! I'm an idiot! Didn't read the description properly.

Sanctuary Point - 2 hours south of Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bygum View Post
    Hi there everyone.

The extender according to what I was told will make no difference it is the optic or dioptric that wont focus down for enough on the Canon I have the same problem, Brian let me know if it does make any difference if it does I will buy one right away.

Pat.
    I don't have the extender. My suggestion was in realtion to the dioptic adjustment to see if it would be better without wearing glasses. The extender keeps the camera a bit further away from the face so that you your nose is not pressing against the LCD screen. I wear glasses and as such my nose only just touches the LCD screen. I suppose Bill Lawry would benefit from an extender
    Brian

My two pet hates are male chauvanists and women who won't do as they are told

Canon 60D - Canon 17-40mm f4 L USM - Canon 70 - 200mm F4 L IS USM - CANON 24-105MM f4 IS USM - Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash - Lightroom 4.4 - Photo Elements 11 ****

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    way to bump a 4 year old thread

i am lucky in that my dominant eye wasnt affected when i had shingles at the begining of the year. If i had been right eyed i'd be eyeing off this topic more closely.