Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teleconverter stacking?.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say I replied thinking you already had the 2X, but now I see it's a 1.4X.
    OK, that's about 5-5.6mm image. Still worth a try, though, especially with some
    stacked shots. I routinely use 500mm for the moon and sun, and I too might look
    to the idea of stacking. I tried it recently - but for extra depth - on flowers.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two examples

Good day,
    These photos are from a recent series.

1. A JPG converted from a CR3 file, cropped to post on the forum. Otherwise no editing.

2. A TIF taken and converted from a stack of 8 using Registax.
    Run through Topaz Sharpen, then saturated using Photoshop.
    The blue perimeter and lines of latitude have me stumped. Overall it is not a bad photo otherwise. The craters are reasonably clear.

This is what prompted my search for a higher quality shots of the moon. Nardes shots are the gold standard in my search. To reach someway near that would work well. Operating within a framework of equipment that allows for some changes by swapping gear.

There seems 3 options for astro shots:
    Camera and suitable lens structure (+1.4X, 2X etc.?),
    Camera, lens etc. and tracking unit,
    A telescope and attached camera + a tracking unit if possible.
    With respect to Don Quixote perhaps it is an impossible dream and I get on with what I have.

Any hints and help with editing will be much appreciated. Thanks for the time photographers have given. I would like to think that in the future I am able to reciprocate to the forum.

Kind regards,
    Journeyman

AP moon 1.jpgAP moon 2.JPG

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it's the process you're doing with these.

Allow me to be frank, and say that I think your goal of achieving Nardes-like images is
    causing you to stumble on the basics, the important one of these being your stated
    inexperience with PP. However, from memory, you did produce a couple of fairly good
    moon shots in earlier posts.

I would suggest that you do some more practice* on single shots with the max FL that
    you can get - with the 400mm and 1.4X, a quite ample setup for the task - and then do
    some practice in getting the focus, tones, and sharpness right. After that, try the stacking
    and also the saturation.

CC for the shots above:
    A good bit of tonal work could be done in the raw conversion stage, rather than just going
    to jpeg. Also at the raw stage do some sharpening.

For the stack and saturation exercise, [there appear to be] too many sharpening artifacts
    (as bright spots) as well as coloration artifacts, the main one being the blue limb. I think
    your meridians are actual features on the surface, such as the ejecta rays emanating from
    Tycho crater and that trail across the Sea of Serenity.

Anyway, a longer post to tease out some thoughts

* Noun spelling used, in spite of Google's inane insistence that the verb should also be thus
    spelt
    Last edited by ameerat42; 14-08-2021 at 6:03pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day, I came across a secondhand Canon 25mm extension tube at fair rice. It made possible a chance to check the options of teleconverter linking.
    I hooked up:
    lens - 1.4x - 25mm extender - 1.4x - camera Canon 90D
    The test photos were spot on over 10 metres, the setup worked very well as a long lens with very tight focus on plant leaves and stalks.
    The test on the moon shot was dismal at best. No focus available with infinity settings, on either my Canon 400 prime or Tamron 100 - 400.
    The outcome has been to give me a good macro effect on my 18 - 400 Tamron. Not a completely wasted effort, it was something I had thought of doing.
    Time to follow Ameerat’s advice and take time to develop available shots. I have a series to process, I will post them in due course. Regards JM

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day, is there any engineering or electronic reason not to connect a Canon teleconverter to a Tamron lens? I found (in error) that my Canon 1.4x fitted my Tamron 100-400 cleanly. Today I tried the combination and it seemed to work correctly.

A check with a vernier indicated all of the matching end dimensions were compatible.

It offered a surprisingly full spread of AF functions, the photos were good. I did notice that the whites were lacking detail, though this affected the photos taken with my prime lens also, I suspect an operator malfunction here.

Thanks and regards Journeyman

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No..., because both items are made for Canon mount.

Sometimes not all functions are supported, but then even with same brands.
    - And it varies from lens to lens, so that for eg only, you might not get some
    function with a UWA that you get with a telephoto, or v-v.

So, that everything seems to transfer through the TC is a

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only odd thing I found is the image data shows 800mm length rather than 560. Thanks for the info.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    The only odd thing I found is the image data shows 800mm length rather than 560. Thanks for the info.
    That would make sense.

400 x 1.4 = 560 x 1.4 = 784 (close enough to 800mm)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    That would make sense.

400 x 1.4 = 560 x 1.4 = 784 (close enough to 800mm)
    Some cheap-on-chip rounding algorithm
    Mine shows exactly dbl the FL setting with the 2X converter on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12