Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COVID message to NSW & Victorians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL

Just like Sydney giving Melbourne crap last time, they're getting screwed over now

Just you wait, it'll be your turn next

XD

We had to let people back into Melbourne didn't we? Only cause of that, we're in the situation we're in now.
    Should have shut the borders earlier, bloody political crap that let this happen >_<
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are sites where you can check for C19 infections:
    https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infect...nd-alerts.aspx
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...57359ec5199f2c

That's the one I use on the phone, but you have to make a shortcut icon for it.
    It's mentioned here: https://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news...ross-australia

David. In your analysis above, you forgot to mention the contribution of the media
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post

David. In your analysis above, you forgot to mention the contribution of the media
    YES !!!!! The biggest spreader of disease.

Al

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post

Just you wait, it'll be your turn next
    Shoosh your mouth David….

Al

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone up there is smiling on me. I ordered toilet paper in the online shopping that I always do, the day before lockdown. I ordered 9 rolls, they couldn't supply a pack of 9 so upgraded the order (at no extra cost) to 24 rolls!

I estimate I can "go" for 6 months lockdown now even if mad shoppers strip the shelves bare!

Have to chuckle at the folk from NSW though ..... they are not coping well with their first lockdown - even though it's "Lockdown Lite".

We here in Victoria know how to do lockdowns!

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Actually, it's the 2nd Sydney-wide lockdown. - And it's no longer "lite".

As for toot-paper, there's heaps on the shelves in the 2 local supermarkets I go to.
    This time I haven't seen any SFB* buying. I think that the media beat up the odd
    story of panic buying into a pulp-fiction

And, I for one did not think poorly of the Melbournites in their recent plights

* You know what that means

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones I feel sorry for are the poor girls whose name actually *is* Karen !! Not sure if the Karen phenomena reached NSW but they certainly were alive and well down here.

All good fun though .... I haven't really minded the lockdowns at all. Of course, I'm retired and not having to worry about an income, but it's a different matter for those who need to earn an income - pretty bad for them. I also have enough stuff to do here without needing to leave home for a very long time!

I do a lot of remote judging so plenty of photographs to keep me entertained.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re groceries(not just loo paper) .. a slight media beatup but it could be that certain areas were more affected than others.
    Maybe some shops have it under control.
    Maybe they just order up big when they hear of a potential lockdown, or extension too an existing one.
    My local is only 10% stocked of paper.
    It's not just paper, you'd think it's the end of the world going by some of the shelves that have been ravaged by the hoardes!

Flour! .. hardly a pack left where there is usually a 20m shelf usually full of the stuff .. unless it's bread making week or something.
    And sugar .. normally thousands of packs of the stuff, it looked like sugar armageddon with a few grains remaining on the shelf.

Maybe they're all making cookies to make a dollar or two during the lockdown ...

Fruit and veg were all stripped out on Friday night, topped up Sat, stripped bare again by Sunday midday!

It's strange how they all react in the same way tho, when the shelves start to get stripped out.
    I recall last time last year at the start of one of our lockdowns, it was pasta-geddon(just after looroll-geddon).

Pasta seemed to become the go to currency at that time. I'm wondering how this happens?
    What makes folks all sync up and decide it's time to hoard pasta for a few years.. or this time around flour and sugar.
    It must be some idiotic social media psychosis ... I can't fathom why some products seem unaffected, but others are.

ps. I didn't need flour, and I don't use sugar .. it's just strange to see those shelves stripped bare.

I used to work in the grocery delivery industry, so I know a bit about replenishing stocks. It's not that hard, so it's not a matter of stuff sells and it's hard to restock it.
    Very easy to restock .. it must be fools thinking that the end of the world is nigh(AGAIN!!! ) and they need to have a years supply of this or that.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I live in Qld also and more particularly regional Qld. I hope the lockdowns get the latest outbreak under control quickly for you southerners.

I've never understood the panic buying of toilet paper. Where I live has only experienced one case and that was in March 2020 with a returning OS traveller. Yet, when the Sydney stay at home orders first came into place toilet paper started to race of the shelves here - absolutely crazy.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post

I've never understood the panic buying of toilet paper.
    - absolutely crazy.
    You've said it all!

It is my contention that if kapok were to be made more readily available than it is, then it too
    would "race off the shelves". - Or brown paper, or red buttons...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    I've never understood the panic buying of toilet paper.
    It used to be the same with petrol in the old days . Then they introduced the odds and evens system and a little sanity returned. In America they were shooting each other dead at the petrol pumps when there was a petrol shortage, and they probably still do. Fortunately, we're not that bad but there are still plenty of stupid people around.

Out of interest, I started counting how many toilet rolls we actually used, and i figured i had enough for a couple of months or more even without buying more. The actual usage isn't as much as people seemed to think. I have a feeling that there are people out there who won't need another roll until 2024 !!

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do agree dealing with this pandemic is a concern and agree some of the media and politicians at times have handled some aspects in an unfortunate manner. The internet discussions with the anti vaccine lot with their right to free speech have the potential to slowly destroy free trade, travel and our economies with mounting debt if we are not able to get adequate levels of herd immunity. I understand up to a third of the Australian and US population will possibly not get the vaccine at this stage and unfortunately Doctors and nurses are starting to leave the healthcare profession in hospitals in many countries as they burn out or sadly are dying or now have long Covid. This virus can help unite us and be a force for good if cool heads can prevail on the world stage and am hoping we can enter into a spirit of cooperation in the future with the obvious emerging threats that we are going to have to deal with as the free world managed to do after World War 2. On a less serious note agree the immediate concern of the world having perceived ongoing toilet paper shortages doesn't bear thinking about

Cheers Nick

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has a reasonable description of "herd immunity"*:
    https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/artic...h-covid19.html

I remember one "world leader's" initial huffing that his country [would meet C-19 head on
    and thereby develop herd immunity without the need for drastic measures] like lockdown.
    At the time vaccines had not been available.

* Which, when I hear it, makes me want to and resist the urge liken the populace to a
    collective noun for grazing animals.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    herd immunity

Learn to pronounce

noun

• resistance to the spread of an infectious disease within a population that is based on pre-existing immunity of a high proportion of individuals as a result of previous infection or vaccination.
      "the level of vaccination needed to achieve herd immunity varies by disease"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    herd immunity
    [*]resistance to the spread of an infectious disease within a population that is based on pre-existing immunity of a high proportion of individuals as a result of previous infection or vaccination.
    "the level of vaccination needed to achieve herd immunity varies by disease"
    Don't think it works, was it Sweden or Switzland, or something, that tried it?

Failed miserably

In theory, great idea
    In practice, well, too impractical

You might be lucky then, heard there's a case in QLD now
    Being regional, you might be spared.

As for QLD... *grabs some popcorn and just enjoying the pre trailers*
    XD

But yeah, panic buying is just stupid
    Like media plays it up, screws everything up, then they start talking about shopping as per usual amd we'd have no issues.
    Should have started with that first.

It's not like we were ever banned from shopping, and even so, they still provided delivery services, so yeah, lockdown doesn't affect life, just lifestyle and business.

Business wise, government is doing what they can, I know for some, it isn't enough, and I feel for others, absolute BS.
    There's a restaurant near me, owner isn't worried about lockdown. Says she's given 5k a month as support when that happens, and as she's the only employee, she's got no issues, compared to others who have to split that money with employees, so absolute BS how the government is spreading their support, a blanket payout without actual assessment of needs - or maybe they do, and she's pulled a shifty, I mean, who's checking?
    But yeah, at least our governments are trying to supoort the people, vs countries where the government has put in lockdowns and then left the people to fend for themselves.

And lifestyle, just whining moaning wailing whinging sobbing whining whimpering crying squeling whining brats who can't suck it up, can't live without needless things just for a little bit; no patience, no care, no regard for others, really annoying listening them conplain about how hard life is

*image removed by admin - copyright breach*

I tried lol
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-07-2021 at 8:31pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    I tried lol
    Can you please advise if the photo posted with your post, is yours...that you own copyright to it?

If not, we will have to remove it as site rules state

[20] Any photograph a member presents on Ausphotography, whether by uploading to the site or displayed directly within the site using the IMG tags must be taken by and copyright owned by the member.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found it from Google Images

Feel free to remove if necessary

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope that everyone in Australia is doing all right. Hang in there!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin301 View Post
    Hope that everyone in Australia is doing all right. Hang in there!
    Don't know about Australia, but down here in 'Tasmania' we are doing ok. Just gotta keep the infected from the north getting in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were lucky Rick. We were far too slow to close the border to NSW. (Political reasons - we were very fast closing it to Victoria where the other party is in government.) Anyway, we seem to have got away with it, but doing the wrong thing over and over and trusting to luck only works until it blows up in your face. (Ask Gladys.)

But the part I don't get is why we (the "we" is an "any state we" now) why we tolerate the airlines' habit of letting absolutely anyone travel regardless of whether they have the appropriate permits. Time and time again we see the airlines deliver people to Perth or Launceston or Adelaide or Melbourne despite those people having no permission to enter the state, and quite often having Covid. If you take an overseas flight (back in pre-pandemic days when overseas travel was a thing), the airline will not even let you get as far as the customs and immigration desk without demonstrating that you have a ticket, a valid passport, and a visa. No visa and they don't let you anywhere near the plane. But those same airlines are perfectly happy to let any Tom Dick or Harry fly into Perth or Brisbane from New South Wales. The state police forces can't do anything about it because the South Australian police (for example) have no jurisdiction in Sydney.

Now the Spirit of Tasmania people check your pass while you are still on Victorian soil. No pass, no travel. What's wrong with the airlines?

It makes no sense. Consider the airline that flew those two Covid-infected women from Sydney into Melbourne the other day: not only do 46 other passengers have to do 14 days isolation, so does the flight crew. And they have to deep clean the aeroplane. And they have to fly the pair straight back again the next day and contaminate another aircraft.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast