User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Anyone here got experience of Glanz 160 Di flashes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here got experience of Glanz 160 Di flashes?

I've been toying with getting a bigger lighting set up, and the local website for private sales flagged up a bargain of a studio lit including three Glanz 160 Di heads for $20.

I snapped it up (the woman od the house used to photograph babies but is moving house and wanted rid of the gear) and having checked the heads all work I'm looking at how I can trigger them from the camera. Unfortunately there was no flash trigger in the kit, there are a couple of long sync leads and from what I can gather the flash heads can be triggered if they detect another flash, but apart from that I'm still looking for information.

Does anyone have any experience of these flash heads, and can provide me with any information, feedback or things to watch out for.

Cheers
    Last edited by ameerat42; 11-07-2021 at 10:16am. Reason: Remove black text color...
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right. - Go looking for a manual or even specs...!!!
    Last edited by ameerat42; 11-07-2021 at 11:29am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    You're right. - Go looking for a manual or even specs...!!!
    Why didn't I think of that...... Actually that was what I spent an hour or so last evening doing, but the interweb thingy seems to be devoid of any information. All Ihave to go on is a rather mangled and mutilated piece of photocopied A4 which has been badly translated into English

Hence the request for anyone with previous experience.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ That's exactly what I'm saying, Liney. I spent a while today doing the same.
    There were some specs, but no manual. Also, I could not find a separate flash
    trigger for sale. Does that mangled A4 - or anything else - give any indication of
    whether you could attach some other slave unit?

- - - Updated - - -

There are about 6 historical mentions of that lighting set on AP, but nothing that avails your
    situation. I'm thinking - and you don't need experience in that particular unit for this - that
    might be able to trigger them with a low-power off-camera flash and a different slave unit.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 11-07-2021 at 1:29pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    ^ That's exactly what I'm saying, Liney. I spent a while today doing the same.
    There were some specs, but no manual. Also, I could not find a separate flash
    trigger for sale. Does that mangled A4 - or anything else - give any indication of
    whether you could attach some other slave unit?

- - - Updated - - -

There are about 6 historical mentions of that lighting set on AP, but nothing that avails your
    situation. I'm thinking - and you don't need experience in that particular unit for this - that
    might be able to trigger them with a low-power off-camera flash and a different slave unit.
    Cheers mate, the flash heads themselves have a sync port (basically a 3.5mm audio jack) and something that implies it is a photo detector whcih would trigger the flash. To be honest I haven't had much of a chance to play round with them, I'm in the middle of renovating the kitchen and plasteboarding up holes in the walls.

I've googled the lights and found a couple of shops that were selling the kit I ended up with (no longer in stock!) and the kit mentions a trigger. I assume I could use the long sync lead that was in the kit to connect to a hot shoe adaptor, but that would really only trigger one flash as the master while the others are slaved with the photo detector. The single sheet "specification" lists manual mode (push test button), slave and sync cord.

I did find a wireless trigger with a master and three slave units that will plug into the sync port on each head which is reasonably priced (Neewer is a pretty decent make as resonably cost) which is available from the big river website. Once I get the plasterboard up and I am waiting for the tiler to do his magic I'll have a play