User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Remote release for Nikon Z6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remote release for Nikon Z6

What are people using for a remote release on the Z6. Yes snapbrigde works but is a bit of a pain as it resets when camera goes into idle. I am thinking a wired one with a DC-2 plug.. Thoughts?
    Cheers
    Andrew

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBay brings up a few wired options.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John there are lots of options out there i was just after a heads up on which is better

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 'no name' brand off eBay for my D750, works well.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try an 'unleashed', from Foolography.

While it operates on a similar principle to what Nikon has hopelessly implemented by way of Snapbridge .. I suspect that a company that is focused on a product that addresses a specific issue will do so in a much more userfriendly way!

Foolography Unleashed

It also allows camera control if needed, as well as the ability to geotag too.

I have no experience with Foolography's products, but they do have a good reputation.

FWIW: I'm researching for any limitations I may come across if I end up getting a Z camera myself one day, and this is the only reason I know of this particular Foolography product.

I have a bluetooth dongle that slots into the 10 pin port on a Nikon DSLR that I use for GPS(only) connection to get geotag data in the images.

While I recommend that you look into the product, I really don't like the design of the Z cameras in having all accessory ports located on the side of the camera. Makes handholding a total pain when needing some very simple connectivity.

One of these 'limitations' I referred to previously.

If I had a Z camera, and I had to choose a remote shutter solution, I would always choose the least intrusive option.
    I went through this with my DSLRs with the GPS, having rid myself of the very annoying cabled setup, and finally settled on the least intrusive wireless solution.

The Foolography is expensive, but from what I've seen so far, is the least intrusive of any remote control device for the Z cameras, considering that Nikon have designed it with only side facing ports.

One other (maybe cheaper) option could be the use of a wireless flash(speedlight) controller. These slot into the flash hotshoe and control the operation of off camera flashes.
    But in doing so, they also offer remote wireless control of the camera shutter too.
    This way it moves the controller(or cable) off the side of the camera and onto the top and makes handholding a normal affair.

Reasoning for all this is not that I want to handhold the camera and use (say) a wireless remote. any remote sort of assumes you are on a tripod.
    What the issue could be.. at a future date .. is wear and tear on the port that you plug the remote into. Set up camera on tripod open rubber port hatch, plug in remote .. remove remote, replug cover and ... repeat ... how many times in a day?

What I ended up with on my DSLRs was a tiny module that plugs out of the way andn that module stays there all day while I'm out photographing .. whether I use it or not. This way the number of fitments and removal of the accessory into the port is only two per day. If I'm out and about for a few days, it basically never comes out.
    Miminising the plugging and unplugging of any cable reduces the risk of damage to any part of the cable system, and the most likely part to damage will be the most expensive part! .. ie. the cameras plug port .. and just when the camera goes out of warranty!

if that sounds a bit sarcastic, it's not .. call it ... 'experience' !
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really disappointed there isn't a wireless remote option for the Z series - well I haven't been able to find one.
    Glenda

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only Nikon device I have that uses snapbridge is my Keymission360 product.
    It is a terrible system with it's dropouts and very laggy interface.
    Snapbridge is required to make detailed changes of the video settings, but the KM360 has 3 methods for shutter control.
    Snapbridge, on camera and a wireless remote!

Even this low end device has a remote!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by J.davis; 08-06-2021 at 9:03pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    @Glenda

Yep thats what i am after.... thanks

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100m-Wir...-/401460530700