User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Ryan Schembri

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ryan Schembri

"It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting philosophical issue here. One of the commentators suggested that he should be stripped of photographic awards due to his recent poor business dealings.

I tend to view the two issues separately. If someone achieves greatness due to their talent, is that talent diminished because they act poorly in other aspects of their lives? I think not. If he won awards they were surely for something worth awarding, and stripping him of those awards suggests that history is being re-written.

I had the same thought with Rolf Harris. If his art was acclaimed prior to his other offending, should that impact upon the value of his artwork ?? To me, the value of an artwork should be inherently independent from subsequent actions by the maker.

Probably not a popular perspective, but that's how I see it.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Interesting philosophical issue here. One of the commentators suggested that he should be stripped of photographic awards due to his recent poor business dealings.

I tend to view the two issues separately. If someone achieves greatness due to their talent, is that talent diminished because they act poorly in other aspects of their lives? I think not. If he won awards they were surely for something worth awarding, and stripping him of those awards suggests that history is being re-written.

I had the same thought with Rolf Harris. If his art was acclaimed prior to his other offending, should that impact upon the value of his artwork ?? To me, the value of an artwork should be inherently independent from subsequent actions by the maker.

Probably not a popular perspective, but that's how I see it.
    It is an interesting discussion and certainly we have seen it play out in the public domain with Margaret Court and Tennis Australia, vs those who think her religious based views should warrant cancelling the arena named after her. The status quo seems to be 'sit on your hands till the media move on and everyone forgets about it'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His mea culpa is an excruciating example of why I avoid social media.
    ‘I’m flawed, I’ve failed and I have many things to make right.
    I fail almost everyday… it’s just on social (media), we don’t often see it. I’m guilty of this – showing you the prettiest, most perfect side of what I do.

We are all flawed. We all fail in some ways. Social media apparently has no mercy for those failings.
    I know nothing about the AIPP but if it educated people in ethics, provided mentors, and guidance in business management, it sounds like a good industry body.
    I hope the young bloke can come back from this.
    Andrew