Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: EXIF DATA for JPG Photos

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EXIF DATA for JPG Photos

I am trying to find out if the Photo Style is included anywhere in the data recorded for a JPG photo using Panasonic cameras (G9 and GX9 in my case).
    I have looked at the Properties of the JPGs but it isn't there as far as I can see.
    Maybe there is a way of choosing it to be added to the recorded data?
    It seems important to me to know what Photo Style was set in the camera for any photo.
    Can anyone help with that please?
    Also, how do I access the EXIF data please?

Ok, so on further inspection of the Properties function under the Details tab it says under Advanced photo section for several of the pics, "Exposure program" - "Landscape Mode".
    But for several others it says for Exposure program : "Normal".
    Neither of these match with the options available in Photo Style - Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L Monochrome, L Monochrome D, Scenery, Portrait, Custom.
    Last edited by Phil777; 07-05-2021 at 3:54pm.
    Phil.
    Equipment: Panasonic Lumix G9, GX9, Panasonic Leica 100-400 f/4.0-6.3, Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6, Panasonic 7-14mm f4, Weifeng WF-717A tripod, Manfrotto 560B-1 Monopod, Huawei P30 Pro.
    Software: Corel PaintShop Pro 2020 + Corel Painter Essentials 4
    - Beauty and Design in Nature - do you see it?

flickr

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil.
    You might have to expand a bit on PHOTO STYLE. It may be something unique to Panasonic cameras.

Where have you looked in the "properties"? Could that be in Photoshop? If so, then see the image below
    for how to find this - at least for my old CS2 version

- And generally, if you want to check the camera data recorded in EXIF (because EXIF contains more than
    camera data) for images that you see online, then you need some sort of an "exif viewer".

The two I find most useful are Exify (for a summary while hovering mouse over image), and wXIF.
    A lot of people also like Exif Viewer, which I also have, but find to obtrusive on the screen

The last two products should reveal the photo style you used, but I am not 100% on that.

HTH.

"the image below..."
    EXIF.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

PS: wXIF and Exif Viewer are Right-click context menu selection jobs while mouse is over the
    online image.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and thanks for your help.

On my Panasonic cameras the Photo Style is on the 1st page of the Menu and the 4th item on the page and as I listed above there are 9 options - Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L Monochrome, L Monochrome D, Scenery, Portrait, Custom.
    Each one can be adjusted for Contrast, Sharpness etc etc.
    So one of these Photo Styles has to be chosen.
    It seems to me that that specific Photo Style should be shown somewhere on the EXIF data or when you right click on the photo and go to Details.
    After all you can't remember which Photo Style you used even yesterday never mind about the many thousands of photos on your PC.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all exif viewers will show every single item of camera data.
    Photoshop certainly does not.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through this a few years ago, trying to find the photo style (Picture Style) I had set on the Canon 50D. I was looking for it in raw files, not jpg's. For raw files they show up in Canon's own software, and they can be altered in there for each raw file. After hunting through photoshop, I found they were also available in ACR . Adobe Camera Raw comes up automatically when opening a raw file into photoshop, so there was a chance to see what Picture Style was applied to the photo, BUT, ACR did not apply the Picture Style settings so the photos open into Photoshop looking rather dull. If I bring a photo into Photoshop via Canons own software, then the Picture Style is applied as it comes into photoshop.

As you can open jpg files into ACR, it would be interesting to see if the camera style is picked up like it is for the raw file. If I get some time in the next few days, I'll give it a go. I'll take some jpg photos and try them in both Canons DPP and ACR and see if the Photo Style is listed.

Is there Panasonic software provided for viewing and editing your images? If so, have you looked in there to see if the Photo Style is listed. It will not be in the exif information, but listed separately.

I just used ExifToolGUI to check if my Picture Style is listed in a raw file. It is in the Metadata, under Maker, not Exif. Maker is all the details of the Canon camera, including all the details of every picture style in my camera and the setting for each style. I use a custom Picture Style, and that is all listed there as well.