Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens Review - Sigma 120-400

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I've just spent the last three days , 5 hrs a day using the Sigma 120-400, Shooting Surf photos at the Quiksilver pro on the Gold Coast, One of my photos won a comp yesterday !! I did'nt use IS because i was shooting at 1250-1600/sec , I was quite surprised with the quality of the images it produced , I like it !!
    It is a great lens. I have its big brother, the 150-500 and this pair of lenses would have to be the best value long zooms on the market.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigma lenses are often inconsistency, I have a concern in purchasing a Sigma lens over the net ?

Sue

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creativepro View Post
    Sigma lenses are often inconsistency, I have a concern in purchasing a Sigma lens over the net ?

Sue
    Any lens, no matter what brand can have inconsistencies. It is called fault tolerance. Basically lenses are designed fit within a specific quality control level. That level may be say 98% accuracy, and then any lens that is tested at the manufacturing stage and fits in that 4% bracket (2% over and 2% under specification) is sent to market. There is no such thing as a perfect lens, and two lenses made after one another will display differences, no matter what the brand.

Sigma make some truly great gear, as do the other brands. Yes you can get an lens that may need calibrating to your camera etc, to be as accurate as possible, but that is not just a Sigma issue.

You do not have to buy Sigma lenses over the net, you can get them at most reputable camera stores as well, so you can take your camera along and test it out first, take some shots using the lens and then zoom in on your LCD screen as much as possible to check sharpness etc.
    Last edited by ricktas; 09-03-2011 at 11:01pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

In Training
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sue
    Just be aware that if you buy from a Grey or Parallel importer you WILL NOT have genuine warranty provided by CR Kennedy

I am unsure about where you hear of this "inconsistency" , Sigma have no more and no less, quality control issues than any other lens maker, I have 3 now and not a single issue. I have sold plenty and not a single one has had any issues
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigma today seem a much different company than even three or four years ago. At that time th definately had qc issues. Not now.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fairy bombs View Post
    I bought this lens,and sent it back to the shop after two days.I would not recommend th is lens to anyone!IMO it was very slow,to focus,images produced extremely poor.The OS did'nt work very well.My canon 70-300 kit lens produced vastly better images!

If your a canon user and want a longer range lens,get the 300 mm F4 prime or 400 mm F5.6 primem or 100 -400 F5,6,yes they are a bit more expensive,but believe me you are defruading yourself if you buy the sigma.I ended up with the canon 400 prime F5.6-worth every cent!

if your a niokon user I am sure they have some wonderful lenses in their longer range lenses.

hope this save someone a headache

Did you give another 120-400 ago, or did you just right the lens off.

Compairing a kit lens to a Sig tele zoom is a big call, I'm sure Sigma (Via CR Kennedy) would love to hear and maybe see some results.

I too, have used the 300mm F4 L and rate this lens as a first rate lens, but being a prime, as to what Tannin has mentioned 500 F4 in the bush, they tend to be limited in their use, not to say they don't have their place, but a 120-400mm lens I feel would be a far better choice 8 out of 10 times.

What where you shooting that put you off the 120-400 and what are you mainly compairing it to? 300mm F4 L or the 100-400mm L ???

Cheers,
    Last edited by Roosta; 14-03-2011 at 1:22am.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate everybody's input.

Any tips where there is a good price for the 120-400 lens.?

Also will it fit easily into a Lowepro Flipside 400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same lens, it will fit as long as you don't want anything else much in there too It comes with it's own rectangular
    carry bag which roughly measures 26 x 15 x 15cm
    Cheers
    Jo

Canon 7D user on P Plates

CC is encouraged: No need to be gentle
    Don't be offended by my CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paid only $810 for mine. Photo Continental, Mt Gravatt. Mine fits in my Mini Trekker with 40D and BG fitted, so should easily fit in your flipside 400.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma Lens 120-400

Hi PH005

I googled Photo Continental - price quoted for Sigma 120-400m is $1,049.00?

Sue

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi PH005

I googled Photo Continental - price quoted for Sigma 120-400m is $1,049.00?

Sue
    $859 with free shipping from Techrific http://www.techrific.com.au/digital-...60.html?page=2

Get a price match on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photo Continental matched the online price that I could get it from DWI for. There supplier will match it for you. Check DWI's price and then tell PC what you can get it for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12