User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Dratted Message about Messaging...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dratted Message about Messaging...

Now, each time I open the Message app (for SMS) I get this message pane that invites me to
    upgrade the original messaging app to "Messages by Google". It also gives some guff about how
    it will generally make life better for everyone..., etc, etc.

I always decline, and I rather thought I had switched off such push messages .

So, does anyone use this app for messaging? The unexpected thing about the message is that
    it starts "Xiaomi recommends..." Should I continue to ignore it? From reading online I don't get a
    decisive answer

Ta.

Phone: Xiaomi RedMi Note 4
    OS: Android V6 (updated from original but apparently can go to V7).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Messages by google is an RCS client (Rich Communications Service).

it add features to your SMS client. For example it lets an Android phone receive iMessages from IPhone etc that include all the additional content, emoticons etc, that a non RCS messaging client cannot. RCS is basically the next generation messaging system. It lets you add things like a chat feature etc.

Whether you need it, or not, depends on your SMS use. However, eventually all SMS clients wil be RCS enabled as it moves forward. Google's implementation of RCS also gets around carrier restrictions. T$ in particular have not turned on RCS features for their network (for Android), or they had not last time I checked several months ago, but Google RCS messaging works outside the network providers settings.

I have it on my phone but to be honest, I just text...text, I am not really into sending heaps of emoji or emoticons in messages so I don't really notice any difference.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, Rick. I was somewhat puzzled because after all, Android is by Google, and I just
    thought "the ordinary" Messaging app was already - by extension - a Google app.

Same her for messaging, with some MMSs, but I have noticed that the MMS video
    size limit is something extremely sub-atomic. The idle thought crossed my mind that
    this new messaging app might (hopefully greatly) increase that. Of course, that's
    only because my recipients - through every fault of their own - eschew using WhatsApp.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Ta, Rick. I was somewhat puzzled because after all, Android is by Google, and I just
    thought "the ordinary" Messaging app was already - by extension - a Google app.

Same her for messaging, with some MMSs, but I have noticed that the MMS video
    size limit is something extremely sub-atomic. The idle thought crossed my mind that
    this new messaging app might (hopefully greatly) increase that. Of course, that's
    only because my recipients - through every fault of their own - eschew using WhatsApp.
    hahaha.

I don't use whatsapp either. I dont get the need to have another messaging app on my phone.