Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom for free - and Darktable

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom for free - and Darktable

Apparently Adobe is offering an abridged version of Lightroom free at present.
    https://www.adobe.com/au/products/ph...oom.html?red=a
    Glenda

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, Glenda. I'm installing the free version now. It's a de-featured version of the paid one, and you can see below
    what you get/don't get. What a tremendous adjunct to my FREE CS2 Photoshop (I mean, I want to just be
    able to convert various raw formats w/o getting the prop s/w.)

Free "Features"
    https://www.adobe.com/au/products/ph...oom.html?red=a
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you
    I need more of this free stuff lol
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find you miss the things the free version of Lightroom leaves out, you might want to try Darktable. It started as a Linux program but there is a Windows version now. Being a bit newer, it might have, as they say, some "rough edges" but it is VERY capable.

http://www.darktable.org/
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz1 View Post
    If you find you miss the things the free version of Lightroom leaves out, you might want to try Darktable. It started as a Linux program but there is a Windows version now. Being a bit newer, it might have, as they say, some "rough edges" but it is VERY capable.

http://www.darktable.org/

Must confess I've entered this thread to reactivate my suspended account but, being a pretty regular user of Linux Ubuntu and other open source products, I've found your post very interesting. Are you still using it? Some pros and cons to be warned of?
    Last edited by Renzo; 30-01-2021 at 5:45am.
    Renzo (Ren)

There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.

D600, 28-300, 24-70, 35mm (Nikon) 90mm macro (Tamron)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Renzo.

I must say that when I tried it to convert some raw files (Canon/Nikon/Can't remember)
    I could do NOthing but open them (via import I think). So now my much-lauded Free LR
    is much lacking from my computer.

Mm-mm-maybe I'll give it another try

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Hi Renzo.

I must say that when I tried it to convert some raw files (Canon/Nikon/Can't remember)
    I could do NOthing but open them (via import I think). So now my much-lauded Free LR
    is much lacking from my computer.

Mm-mm-maybe I'll give it another try

Ave Ham, I've tried, instead, to give Darktable a try ; in effect, I've found it pretty tricky to use but I'm sure I got to spend more time to understand it... anyway, to convert my Nikon raw files, I'm still using, with my great satisfaction, Capture NX2 from Nikon, which I bought years ago...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Yep, that's the way to go for Nikon, which makes me think now I do recall I tried
    Canon because they were .CR2 files.

I might give this another go, and see what all their touting is about... - as if we
    don't know

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with returning to Canon; time ago I discovered that certain data in .nef files were lost not using a Nikon converter, so...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for some sample files NEFs, CRx to try again...

Will report...
    Last edited by ameerat42; 30-01-2021 at 9:17am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the proper link seems to be disappeared...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still had my version "installed" - ie, I could log in and use it.

To my surprise I managed to edit and save (export) an edited sample NEF.

Next time - you get sick of driving a truck whilst underneath it and doing repairs - I will
    will try to open the edited file in Photoshop, as the save options were patently UNclear
    in LR.

- - - Updated - - -

Renzo, if you did install this free version before, you need to run it and log in using
    your (registered) email address and password. If you use WIN 10, type in "lightroom"
    in the search box/Cortana pane to find and launch it.

(Bit of luck for me because I REALLY THOUGHT I had uninstalled it )
    Last edited by ameerat42; 30-01-2021 at 9:41am. Reason: So many edits...! - So many typos...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
    Ave Ham, I've tried, instead, to give Darktable a try ; in effect, I've found it pretty tricky to use but I'm sure I got to spend more time to understand it...

To answer your earlier question, I am using it every day. Many complicated programs for photography are confronting at first, and yes, you have to invest some time to get to know them. I set up Darktable with the default minimum tweaks that I find myself doing to every photo, then PP on the average new photo is almost automatic. Just have to tweak up the odd thing, crop and frame it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldnt go back to lightroom after useing darktable its so mutch more powerfull yes it different to use than lightroom but dosent take long to work out , youtube for tutiols to get you going ,cheers bazz

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I might have to give this DARKTABLE a whirl. What raw files do you convert with it, Bazz?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazz View Post
    wouldnt go back to lightroom after useing darktable its so mutch more powerfull yes it different to use than lightroom but dosent take long to work out , youtube for tutiols to get you going ,cheers bazz
    That's interesting to know. Have not used Lightroom for so long, and never was a big user. Made it hard to compare for me. I love Darkroom though

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    ^ I might have to give this DARKTABLE a whirl. What raw files do you convert with it, Bazz?
    Mine converts my Canon .CR2 files of course. i think most linux software all uses the same libraries.
    Last edited by Dazz1; 30-01-2021 at 5:19pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if a few people are trying it, we could start a help thread about it and share tips.

Like this one on how to use a highpass filter blended with the original for sharpening

highpass by Wide Pixels, on Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz1 View Post
    To answer your earlier question, I am using it every day. Many complicated programs for photography are confronting at first, and yes, you have to invest some time to get to know them. I set up Darktable with the default minimum tweaks that I find myself doing to every photo, then PP on the average new photo is almost automatic. Just have to tweak up the odd thing, crop and frame it.

Thanks, Dazz1, I've just tried to open a raw file of mine, a Nikon .nef, and figure the whole tool's design at first glance; obviously, as you wrote to Ameerat42, it's pretty hard to learn to exploit this tool's functionalities in few minutes; the idea of producing a user's guide based on different experiences looks good, and I'll try to contribute with my practice too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
    Thanks, Dazz1, I've just tried to open a raw file of mine, a Nikon .nef, and figure the whole tool's design at first glance; obviously, as you wrote to Ameerat42, it's pretty hard to learn to exploit this tool's functionalities in few minutes; the idea of producing a user's guide based on different experiences looks good, and I'll try to contribute with my practice too.

Basic workflow for me

1. In lightable mode, import the folder where the new photos are. This gives you a "film role" on the table for viewing and culling.
    2. Use ctrl-scrollwheel to zoom in and inspect each photo. They all start at one star. Promote the good ones.
    3. Set the view filter to one star - thus showing all the rejects, and delete them using the Selected images group on the right.
    4. Double click on an image I want to edit (or select it and choose 'darkroom' at the top right menu), and adjust it as desired.
    5. Exit darkroom back to lighttable, select image and export it using 'export selected' group on right.

Each time you do this, it builds up a "collection" like in a digital photo manager that you can go back to and find this or other folders from other sessions.

- - - Updated - - -

Learn to use the custom presets, especially those you want automatically applied

In darkroom mode, every module has a little 3-line edit icon on the far right. This lets you save a new preset, or edit and old one, or choose one to apply.

This is the edit dialog (from my custom denoise). Notice the 'Auto apply' option at the top, and how flexible the filters are.

Last edited by Dazz1; 31-01-2021 at 11:07am.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread is tending a fair bit towards Darktable now, WHICH ISN'T a bad thing.
    I'll change the title to include that name, and move the thread to Gear Talk - Software,
    to keep Dazz1's last thread on Darktable company

Hints and tips on usage are always handy to share.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so after a lot of arm-twisting and other enticements, I have
    downloaded the 64-bit installer for Windows, which is available,
    inter alia, from here:
    https://www.darktable.org/install/#windows

If you have a 32-bit OS, you might have to look somewhere else
    Last edited by ameerat42; 31-01-2021 at 11:40am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast