Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Replacing tripod thread on camera

Ausphotography Veteran jamesmartin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing tripod thread on camera

Is it easy to replace the tripod thread on the camera yourself or is it something that should be sent to someone to do it?
    The screw on the tripod looks fine it's just the thread on the camera that's buggered. It's on the canon 5DSr
    www.jamessmartin.net
    Canon 5DsR & 5Ds - Zeiss Milvus 21mm - Canon 70-300mm L - Canon 100mm macro - Sigma 150-600mm contemporary. Aquatech sport shield rain cover. Phantom DJI 4 pro drone. Gitzo traveller tripod. Tascam DR-70D sound recorder

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An intriguing Q, James. I "fixed" a couple of 35mm cams decades ago, and I wondered how different it'd
    be now. I found this link about a near relative of your camera...
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...-5ds-teardown/

using "dismantling canon 5dsr"
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    An intriguing Q, James. I "fixed" a couple of 35mm cams decades ago, and I wondered how different it'd
    be now. I found this link about a near relative of your camera...
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...-5ds-teardown/

using "dismantling canon 5dsr"
    Cheers Ameerat, hopefully I can buy a new thread & just screw it back in

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks 'slightly' involved, but not hard.

Have a look at Lensrental's teardown.

Had a quick peek on ebay and found the thread socket mount .. about $80 or so(from Europe).
    The thread is a separate item to the bottom plate, see the screws.
    Note sure if Canon will sell to non certified repairers tho(Nikon don't!).

Doesn't look too hard to do, just a lot of disassembly. Bottom plate looks like it needs to come out as the tripod thread bush looks like it's fixed from the inward facing side.

If you do give it a shot, just be sure to have the correct screwdrivers(which most people don't!). Don't use philips screwdrivers as they WILL slip out of the screws and damage the head. The screws will be JIS types.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    It looks 'slightly' involved, but not hard.

Have a look at Lensrental's teardown.

Had a quick peek on ebay and found the thread socket mount .. about $80 or so(from Europe).
    The thread is a separate item to the bottom plate, see the screws.
    Note sure if Canon will sell to non certified repairers tho(Nikon don't!).

Doesn't look too hard to do, just a lot of disassembly. Bottom plate looks like it needs to come out as the tripod thread bush looks like it's fixed from the inward facing side.

If you do give it a shot, just be sure to have the correct screwdrivers(which most people don't!). Don't use philips screwdrivers as they WILL slip out of the screws and damage the head. The screws will be JIS types.
    Thanks for the reply & tips Arthur

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered the tripod plate from canon ($13), they said it's not too difficult to do yourself & attached a small diagram

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cngratulations. Show us a pic when you finish it...
    Last edited by ameerat42; 21-11-2020 at 11:29am.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmartin View Post
    Ordered the tripod plate from canon ($13), they said it's not too difficult to do yourself & attached a small diagram
    Wow - that was great of them.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plate arrived today. Now just gotta find myself a jis screwdriver....

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmartin View Post
    The plate arrived today. Now just gotta find myself a jis screwdriver....
    Try here:
    https://rhinotools.com.au/brand/vessel-screwdrivers/

They look expensive though...especially for a one-off use, unless you ride a Japanese motorbike.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Try here:
    https://rhinotools.com.au/brand/vessel-screwdrivers/

They look expensive though...especially for a one-off use, unless you ride a Japanese motorbike.

Cheers

Dennis
    Cheers Dennis. Yeah I'm starting to think may of been easier to of just send it to canon. Hoping the old man will have some, if not then might try the local camera shop

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main difference that could cause damage to the equipment is the length of the tip - ie, the point.
    I wonder if you can file this down on an ordinary philips screwdriver for a start. If it fits more snugly,
    then (attempt to) refine the tip by filing between the "wings" of the blades. Even as a (desperate)
    measure, try to adapt a flat screwdriver.

ONE Q: What size are these screws? All the refs I've seen talk about motorcycles, with rather larger
    looking screws than I'd expect on a camera If they are of the mini-screwdriver sizes, then at
    least they're cheap enough to try x 2

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, of the two sets of mini "precision screwdrivers" I had to hand, both look "decidedly more"
    JIS-like than philips-like, the one on the left even more so. You can compare the image below with
    these images from the web, and maybe you can get the smaller bits also seen there.

From my sets of mini precision screwdrivers...
    IMG_20201124_044620aclr.jpg

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main difference that could cause damage to the equipment is the length of the tip - ie, the point.
    I wonder if you can file this down on an ordinary philips screwdriver for a start. If it fits more snugly,
    then (attempt to) refine the tip by filing between the "wings" of the blades. Even as a (desperate)
    measure, try to adapt a flat screwdriver.

ONE Q: What size are these screws? All the refs I've seen talk about motorcycles, with rather larger
    looking screws than I'd expect on a camera If they are of the mini-screwdriver sizes, then at
    least they're cheap enough to try x 2

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, of the two sets of mini "precision screwdrivers" I had to hand, both look "decidedly more"
    JIS-like than philips-like, the one on the left even more so. You can compare the image below with
    these images from the web, and maybe you can get the smaller bits also seen there.

From my sets of mini precision screwdrivers...
    IMG_20201124_044620aclr.jpg
    Thanks Ameerat. There pretty small screws, the old man has some pretty small screwdrivers so will test them out. I asked canon if I'd need a special type of screwdriver & they said I didnt. But from what I've googled & as Arthur says it seems normal phillips aren't the best. Nothing was meant to be simple lol

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JIS-like than philips-like, the one on the left even more so. .....
    Nope! not JIS.
    JIS is 'very pointy' at the end .. no flattened point.

I'll get some pics of mine.

Most commonly used JIS sizes on cameras will be JIS000 to JIS0(that's JIS triple zero to JIS zero) .. I doubt that you would need JIS1 or larger(but dunno what Canon uses).

Give me a short while and I'll post the difference between JIS and Philips bits .. and why philips drivers will damage JIS screws!

D800E_DSD_3628_cr.jpg
    Apologies for the terrible quality, but it's not important. More important is that you can see that the JIS is more 'pointy' shaped than the Philips(PH). The wings on the JIS are more tapered than the PH, and almost end up at nothing at the pointy end compared to PH bits(and screws).
    The issue with PH bits is that they don't drive in deep enough into the screwhead, so only mate onto the top few miliimeters of the head, and slip when force is required .. damaged screwhead.
    It's a common mistake, as they do look the same(ish) .. same with PH compared to Posidrive bits and screws. People don't notice the differences.

Don't get the slim full metal handle driver sets, they can be useless on some camera screws(like lenses). Some camera screws can be 'loctitied' in to prevent unscrewing, and can be nigh on impossible to remove(you just never know) .. and if you can't get enough twist force into it, it can be a waste of time or you can damage the screw head and then completely impossible to unscrew.

I have a few sets, but THESE drivers are my preferred versions tho.
    My actual kit is a bit different in that the handle isn't as chunky. Mine is slimmer. Sometimes doesn't allow enough twist force to remove a screw, but the handle has a small hole through it that allows one section to be inserted as a cross bar, and this crossbar then allows more force applied to turn. What this offers is that you easily unscrew the screw but need to maintain downward pressure on the screwhead so it doesn't slip at all.
    My actual kit JAKEMI JM-8126 no longer seems to be sold, if you google that kit you will notice the difference in the handle. The one I linked too is just an example, I have no dealings with that seller.
    The flexi-shaft is pretty much a useless part, would be better off with a solid extension instead, so keep that in mind.

Note: JIS is western countries is very rare .. they are a Japanese type fixture. I can't say how many tool shops I've been too to try to find them locally, but zero luck here in Melb. (ps. I'm a bit of a tool geek too!)

Note #2: .. don't cheapo either!. Not to say that price isn't important, but I'd guess that the cheapest stuff may snap .. even (supposed) "quality" tools can break .. I have a Duratech branded set and one the bits snapped inside the screwhead. Admittedly this screw is close to impossible to remove(on my 105/1.8 lens).

Note #3: if you find a screw that is very hard to undo, it's most likely 'loctited' on. (loctite is a screw glue, on the threads). Don't continue to try to drive it out, and risk damage. If you have a solder iron, place it on the screwhead for a minute or two. Heat will soften loctite. If you don't have a solder iron, alcohol can help. Not as good as solder iron, but anything is better than trying to fight a glue with a small almost fragile fixture. A few drops on the head and wait a bit.

Note #4: don't worry about magnetic bits on camera screws .. don't work. so be careful as you remove they won't magnetise onto the bit, and you don't want to lose the screws!!!! ... keep screw heads somewhere safe. I know nothing about Canon cameras, but sometimes you may find that some screws are different depending on where they are fitted. Photos help to remember where they all go back, but a small piece of cardboard or paper or something with a template of the camera drawn on it and place all screws through the template. Helps to retain them and remember where they go back. Hopefully they are all the same type .. but don't count on it.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 27-11-2020 at 11:14am.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! - I get the JISt: Be confused!!!

I suppose you saw the link above - and this one too - that pointed me to the very opposite idea

From now on I'm going back to flathead screws - No, wait...!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose you saw the link above - .....
    Those pics appear to be larger JIS heads .. maybe JIS2's or 3's or larger.
    Doesn't apply in camera land.

Also note that the actual profiles on the heads are different, even tho they look similar(this is where people trip up). There are specs available to see the physical size differences between the two + type fixings. And millimeters of difference is the difference between successful removal and slip ups.

Another issue with screw heads(other than the common use of Philips on Posidrive screws) is the use of Philips on Japanese motorbikes fixtures, which most likely are JIS screws too.
    I don't recall in my motorbike days if I ever had that issue, maybe I did.

But in micro screw sizes like these on cameras, they are so fragile(and stickied on with retaining compound like loctite) .. a slip up can mean buckleys change of removal henceforth.

On my old Nikkor 105/1.8 someone had tried to remove the mount, and almost certainly with a small Philips, so one screw was damaged beyond use. Nigh on impossible to find screws too. Can be had, just very hard.
    I tried to remove using a slightly oversize bit(the JIS0, as opposed to the JIS00, but it won't budge. AND the head is damaged.
    This is where my not very Durable Duratech bit snapped too.

In terms of durability(so far) my Jakemy kit has been very good.

I've searched Jakemy's website for whatever products they have in JIS000-JIS1 bit range, and only one current product comes up as an option.
    That is the JM-8166 kit .. has JIS000 - JIS1 .. so will be sufficient to do the job, and minimal superfluous other bits in the kit.

My advice with that kit tho is that the handle don't look as 'useful' as it should be. It has no cross-shaft option, so that if the screw is still too tight, it allows the extension shaft to be used for more leverage. It also has no solid extension shaft either!
    So I would recommend not to get that kit.

The only option that I can see so far, for a semi decent price for James, at the moment, is that JM-8125 kit I linked too via Ebay. ~ $30 is a fair price, and even tho many of the bits in it will never be used, you have them just in case .... one day.

Further info from the people that do this for fun and work can be found at Richardhaw's website
    Geeky read for those times when you have plenty to spare.

**** OH!! and I stuffed up my link to ebay, and linked to the Chinese sourced kit instead of THIS one from WA
    I assume that postage from WA will be quicker than from China. Couldn't locate any other kits in Aus.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta. Interesting links. I will look out for a set. JIS is now a fundaMENTAL, like the earth is round...
    Last edited by ameerat42; 27-11-2020 at 12:16pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earth is round? .... damned I thought it was an oblique spheroid!

Ta. Interesting links. I will look out for a set. JIS is now a fundaMENTAL, ....
    high quality tools are always nice to have(and remember I'm a bit of a tool geek) .. but I recommend have a good range of various tools.
    Anti tamper bits can be nicer to have.
    Some annoying toy breaking kids come up to you and complain that their toys no longer work after throwing them across the room ... anti tamper bits come in very handy .. otherwise make sure the bin is empty!