Reading the paper this morning, I saw a "review" of a new full-frame "travel" camera. I say "review" but, of course, it is the usual regurgitation of the manufacturer's press release, complete with lots of attention paid to this particular camera's point of marketing difference.

It is, we are told, a travel camera which can deliver wonderfully narrow depth of field, the very thing you need to make your Instragram posts stand out from the crowd and attract more followers. With its flip-out swivel screen, you can even turn it around backwards and use it to take blurry-background selfies! Wow! Miles better than those APS-C and Micro 4/3rds things, yes? Yay! And it fits in your pocket. (Sort of.)

Right at the bottom of the review, we are told the price, which is nearly four grand, and that it comes with ... wait for it ... a 28-60mm f/4-f/5.6 zoom lens.

Yes, you read that correctly. They are talking yummy full-frame depth of field at 60mm and f/5.6!

As if.

Of course - though they don't bother to tell you this - being an interchangeable lens mirrorless thing, you can add any Sony-fit lens you like, such as (for example) an 85/1.2 or a 50/1.4. That would give you the shallow depth of field the article raves about .... and of course, aside from costing you another two or three thousand, it would be vastly too big to fit in a handbag, never mind a pocket, and weigh about the same as a house brick. (Fast lenses are large. They have to be to let all that light in. And fast full-frame lenses are larger still. It's called "physics".)

Source: https://www.afr.com/technology/sony-...0201008-p563ck

(Paywallled, subscription required.)

(Not worth reading anyway.)

(Trust me on this.)