Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Canon 7D II a/f help please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 7D II a/f help please?

Good day,
    I have recently purchased a second hand 7D II. I used a 750D prior to that.
    I understand the a/f system however I am having trouble focusing the subject at times.
    Is the basis of the plan to set the camera’s desired area of use then frame the subject within that area?
    Like many I spend my time trying to take clear bird photos.
    With birds in flight as a novice 7D user am I better off using the whole area as a starting point i.e the 65 point option.
    Thank you for help.
    Kind regards, Journeyman (Dennis)

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For birds, generally, use centre spot focus and focus on the bird's eye.
    Have optical/image stabilisation on. There are refinements, but others
    can fill you in.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dennis

There are birds in flight and then there are birds in fast unpredictable flight. Add to that BIF against clean backgrounds (the sky) or cluttered backgrounds (trees).

For BIF moving across the frame in a reasonably smooth manner against a clear sky, I try to centre the bird in the View Finder and use all the AF Points, letting the 7D Mk II pick up the bird. I then try to follow it smoothly and hang onto it as it flies by.

If the bird is against a cluttered background, I usually use Single Spot AF and try to place it on the bird's head/eye and then pray that I can keep it placed there as the bird moves within the VF.

If the bird is a Swallow, I just point, shoot and pray and hope that I get one in the frame and in focus.

I always shoot in AI Servo so the 7D Mk II is continuously updating the AF as you track the bird.

I also shoot at 10 fps to give me the best chance of getting a good shot.

I pick up the bird in the VF as it approaches, and follow it by twisting my torso and then press the shutter as it gets close and then follow through as it passes by and release the shutter.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flight shots are different. For everything else, as a general rule decide roughly where you want the bird's eye (or other selected focus point) in the composition, and move the point there. When the bird moves (or you decide to reframe for other reasons), move the point. You want the smallest, most precise focus area possible so that you can control what the camera focuses on. you do not want the camera switching unpredictably between points. You decide what it's going to focus on. The way to achieve that is to give it no other choice but to use the point you selected. The 7D II will give you excellent service, it's a great camera.

For flight shots ... well, first get a handle on everything else. Flight shots are hard and everyone seems to have a different method. Master your new tool first.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry that I forgot you mentioned in flight

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice. I feel a bit more study and use coming on. The a/f system has received many good reviews.
    Kind regards, Dennis

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow up a/f info request

Good day,
    I was lucky enough to come across a pair of entertaining pelicans on Sunday.
    My aim was to check the auto focus system without any other considerations or rush. When I walked home there where a couple of Ospreys soaring above where we live. Too high for really clear shots however the focus was as clear as could be expected. It is included with the other pics, and has been cleared up as much as possible. 1/2000 sec, F7.1, 800 iso. Quick bit of trig shows about 120 metres from me to the bird.
    Thanks and regards, Journeyman (Dennis) p.s. The photos look quite big, I seem to be meeting the guidelines ok??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Journeyman; 29-09-2020 at 5:23pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Dennis. There is something NQR with the pelican shots. On first sight they look out of focus; a closer look suggests that you are getting consistent back focus. (Look at the rocks behind the birds, which seem sharpest a couple of metres back.) I think you will need to sacrifice some shutter speed to increase your depth of field and thus have more chance of getting the subject sharp. Try f/11. This will also help sharpen up the lens, which at 400mm is operating outside its comfort zone.

I like your Whistling Kite, especially the way the light shines through the wing panels.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tannin (Tony?), you are quite right they are beautifully photographed rocks. That explains the odd something about the pics.
    I will check the data, I have a feeling they were 1/2000 also. Back there in a day or so. I will need to book the pelicans of course.
    Once again, many thanks, Journeyman
    Last edited by Journeyman; 30-09-2020 at 9:02pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Dennis. One more thing to adjust while you are at it: white balance. My eye is telling me the pelican pictures are too blue. One easy and very effective way to get correct white balance for wildlife work is to set the camera to DAYLIGHT and leave it there. 100% correct white balance every time - but note, it ONLY works outdoors, in natural light (or with a properly balanced flash). Just a little more warmth in the reproduction would improve those shots noticeably.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day Tannin,
    The pelican photos were taken using a Tamron 18-400 lens at 400mm, the GPS app that I use shows the distance to the birds was 51 metres.
    Meta data - 1/2000 f7.1 and 800iso. Maybe I should back the zoom off to 300 or so. There is plenty of info in the RAW files to allow for cropping and I will use the single precision focus point rather than the 9 point mode.
    I will be there again tomorrow use a Canon 400 lens, drop the shutter speed to 1/1000 and lower iso.
    Thanks for the white balance info, it is a topic that I have not come to grips with. That will change this arvo.
    I like the Canon lenses they certainly provide clear photos, $$s though, I am running out of kidneys to sell. My ticker has had a hard life, no value there either.
    My use of the name Journeyman becomes more accurate daily.
    Kind regards, Dennis
    Last edited by Journeyman; 01-10-2020 at 3:41pm.