Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: 430EXii Flash only fires in full auto mode on Canon 7D mk1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

430EXii Flash only fires in full auto mode on Canon 7D mk1

Hi all,

I've recently picked up my 7D again after almost 2 yrs and have now discovered that my 430EXii no longer fires in Program mode. Tried new batteries, checked the little microswitch under the hotshoe, cleaned contacts, it's communicating with the body - the display shows changes in zoom lens adjustments. When I finally did get it to fire on shutter release, it was only when I had it in full auto mode (the green rectangle icon).

Any ideas? ????

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention I have the latest 2018Jul03.7D203 magic lantern installed but disabling it doesn't seem to make a difference...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Electronics dry out over time. Especially capacitors. My guess is that lack of use, the capacitors (which store the charge to allow the flash to fire have dried out and it may never work correctly again.

Just my thoughts here. It could well be something else entirely.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Highon2str. The first thing to do is cycle through the various camera modes, checking as you go. Does it work in manual mode? Aperture priority? When you trigger it directly (with the test button on the flash unit)?

I reckon Ricktas is barking up the wrong tree here. (Hope so!) Chances are that the unit is fine (they are practically bulletproof) and your trouble is actually a camera settings issue. The 7D has a heap of functions and it is easy to overlook one or another. We know that the flash functions in full auto (where you have practically no control over it, everything is automatic) and doesn't fire in P mode (where you have fairly extensive manual override ability) so the first guess has to be that it is disabled in the camera settings for P mode.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response guys, I managed to get it working in the end!! Tannin was the winner this time around - for some reason (must have somehow accidentally done it??) FLASH was set to DISABLED in the menu!

So glad it's back in business. Can't believe I tried everything but that! lol...