Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: New bird lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why buy an awkward heavy, slow 600 when, for only a few hundred dollars more, you can get better picture quality even after cropping from the superb-in-all-respects Canon 100-400 II? It is vastly easier to handle, much lighter, has better balance, superior IS (IS Mode 3 is a revelation!), significantly faster (yes, one-third of a stop is a significant difference), and has better image quality. In short, it is a no-brainer.

See for yourself: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=7&APIComp=2

If you really want to go beyond what a 100-400 can offer you, then you need to look at fair-dinkum big lenses, such as 500/4, 600/4, and 400/2.8. Both Canon and Sigma make lenses in this class ... for a price. However you should be able to pick up something like a second-hand Canon 500/4 IS Mark 1 for around about the price of a new 100-400 (or Sigma 150-600). It takes you into a whole different world.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I knew that thread was around here somewhere: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...aithful-friend Some (I think) useful observations on lenses there.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Why buy an awkward heavy, slow 600 when, for only a few hundred dollars more, you can get better picture quality even after cropping from the superb-in-all-respects Canon 100-400 II? It is vastly easier to handle, much lighter, has better balance, superior IS (IS Mode 3 is a revelation!), significantly faster (yes, one-third of a stop is a significant difference), and has better image quality. In short, it is a no-brainer.

See for yourself: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=7&APIComp=2

If you really want to go beyond what a 100-400 can offer you, then you need to look at fair-dinkum big lenses, such as 500/4, 600/4, and 400/2.8. Both Canon and Sigma make lenses in this class ... for a price. However you should be able to pick up something like a second-hand Canon 500/4 IS Mark 1 for around about the price of a new 100-400 (or Sigma 150-600). It takes you into a whole different world.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I knew that thread was around here somewhere: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...aithful-friend Some (I think) useful observations on lenses there.
    Interesting......I already have a 70-300mm canon lens, was looking for a bit more then a 100mm upgrade
    www.jamessmartin.net
    Canon 5DsR & 5Ds - Zeiss Milvus 21mm - Canon 70-300mm L - Canon 100mm macro - Sigma 150-600mm contemporary. Aquatech sport shield rain cover. Phantom DJI 4 pro drone. Gitzo traveller tripod. Tascam DR-70D sound recorder

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently using my canon 5dsr with the canon 70-300mm so maybe after doing a bit more reading I should be looking at the canon 100-400mm with a canon 7d mark II

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I used the contemporary model though it had got to heavy for me a couple of years ago as I have a problem with my right shoulder.
    And there it sits on a shelf with its mate the 7D MK11 I take it out every so often and shoot the Birds from our back decking
    It was my favourite Birding Combo and always hand held, My best Moon Images were shot with that combo.

I Read all the reviews beforehand and did a lot of researching to find that the C model was just as good as the S model if not better because of less weight.
    Not many here use the S model there's only one I know of apart from Mark L though I have an idea he carts around a monopod or a tripod.
    Though many here use that C model. It has a lovely blurred BG when shooting Flowers from a distance
    As mentioned it is not as expensive as the S model and if you don’t want to shoot Birds in the rain why buy that expensive heavy model.
    Buy it a Raincoat. I have shot in the rain though not heavy rain, I have never used it in the Snow or Dust Storms

I have no dust in or on my combo, keeping the lens on the 7D MK11 helps with that. My Macro Lens lives on my 80D.
    These days I use my Olympus m4/3 gear more as it is lighter in weight.

Canon 100-400mm IS USM 11 at Teds Camera Stores is $3299. The way I look at that $900 difference is Not Only a few Hundred more?
    The Sigma 150-600mm S is $2399 and the C Model is $1399, There seems to be a few second hand ones on line if your are interested.
    Thanks for the info mary Anne, always good to hear peoples experience. Yes if I go for a 150-600mm I'm definitely thinking the contemporary rather then the sport