Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Caon R5 Users

Ausphotography Regular rexboggs5's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caon R5 Users

I pre-ordered the Canon R5 and received it a bit over a week ago. I haven't had much time to take photos with it yet, but as a stills camera (with occasional wee videos), it looks great.

Has anyone else ordered and/or received the R5? It would be good to share experiences.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After my bad experience with the R, I'm steering well clear of its relatives. 5D V for me.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know how things go with it!
    I'm most interested in the IBIS as taking 0.3 to 0.5 second exposures for water is something I frequently do - if I can do it without a tripod it would free up so much in terms of ease of composition
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the specifications and features are certainly attractive, congratulations on the new camera.

The animal/bird eye tracking looks really useful if it works as expected, and the 46MP frame would lend itself to cropping for small birds.

The IBIS would also be useful in certain situations depending on how might might work with existing EF lenses (as opposed to the newer RF lenses).

The price of the RF x1.4 and x2 Extenders is quite frightening though.

The 800mm F11 and 600mm F11 RF lenses also look quite useful for bright light situations, their lightweight design looks to be quite hand holdable.

I find the flip our LCD on my EOS R very useful and really am beginning to miss this on my 5D Mk IV with its fixed rear LCD.

Enjoy your new toy.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    After my bad experience with the R, I'm steering well clear of its relatives. 5D V for me.

Hi Tony, are you able to share your bad experiences with the EOS R?
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, filter. It's the thread next door to this one. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-R-one-year-on

It reads like a bit of a bad-tempered rant, but on looking it over, I can't find a single point to disagree with. Simply, the R makes me grumpy every time I use the damn thing. I could have written more about the stuff the R does well, but then all the relevant points (apart from one thing that I did mention) apply equally to other Canon cameras, notably the 5D IV, and the irrelevant points (about video & etc.) are just that - irrelevant: I don't use them. Refer to some other member for info about those uses.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be of interest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry i don't get on here very much but i thought this thread would have been quite active.
    I've got an R5 on order and can't wait. Everyone who has this camera and all the reviews i can find are raving about this camera for stills. Looks like there are some heating issues in 8k but as i don't shot video i'm not to worried.
    From the ISO performance, AF tracking, IBIS, Elect shutter and IQ all look exceptional.

Anyone else out there waiting or have one?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else out there waiting or have one?
    I went with the EOSR not long after it was released so can't warrent the upgrade. I would luv the R5 though, good luck with the new bit of kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Filter.

I thought this thread would of been going off after the release but maybe just not to many Canon shooters on here

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of Canon users here, Mybluedog. But most AP members spend most of their time over in the show and tell section. Pictures are their focus, with discussion of equipment an afterthought, if that. (Compare with a site like DPR, where equipment comes a long way first and using it tends to be forgotten.)

Added to that, the R5 is so expensive that a lot of people simply aren't interested, and many of those that are prepared to spend that sort of cash aren't so very interested in mirrorless cameras. So we wind up with a subset (mirrorless fans) of a subset (people with deep pockets) of a subset (those interested in discussing equipment) of a subset (Canon users) - which adds up to maybe half a dozen people.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with camera bodies today is there are so many different brands and models. I am a loyal canon user and have been since 1981 when I bought my first Canon A1. Today I buy a body only if the body I am currently using lacks some function I desperately need, that or for some reason the body is faulty and is beyond repair.

I currently have in my arsenal a Canon 1Dx, Canon EosR and a Canon 6D. Horses for courses and being my interest is in wildlife photography I would always grab my 1Dx first. In my last trip to Africa I specifically wanted a second body as a back up, but mostly to carry when I was trekking. If the R5 was available I would have jumped all over it but it wasn't so I picked up a EOS R. For portrait work this camera is a gun and I would not think I could take better photos with any other body (love the eye focus).

Without a doubt when I do plan my next trip I will purchase a EOS R5. I tend to spend a bit of money when I travel so I want equipment that is reliable and quality, plus the 1Dx is getting a bit long in the tooth for a digital body. I also think the future is in mirrorless, and the bodies will only become more refined as the years pass.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Plenty of Canon users here, Mybluedog. But most AP members spend most of their time over in the show and tell section. Pictures are their focus, with discussion of equipment an afterthought, if that. (Compare with a site like DPR, where equipment comes a long way first and using it tends to be forgotten.)

Added to that, the R5 is so expensive that a lot of people simply aren't interested, and many of those that are prepared to spend that sort of cash aren't so very interested in mirrorless cameras. So we wind up with a subset (mirrorless fans) of a subset (people with deep pockets) of a subset (those interested in discussing equipment) of a subset (Canon users) - which adds up to maybe half a dozen people.
    Yeah ok. That's interesting. I did check back here a few times around the launch date and didn't see much activity but was surprised when i had the chance to check a few days ago and still basically nothing.

There would be at least 6 Aussie's on the POTN site either with the R5 already or waiting on it's arrival like me.

I did notice on some of the other gear threads that there hadn't been any activity for quite a while so that backs up what your saying about the "show & tell".

Anyway, all good we'll keep plugging away. Might be able to generate a bit of interest as more people get these in there hands and others see the results

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    The problem with camera bodies today is there are so many different brands and models. I am a loyal canon user and have been since 1981 when I bought my first Canon A1. Today I buy a body only if the body I am currently using lacks some function I desperately need, that or for some reason the body is faulty and is beyond repair.

I currently have in my arsenal a Canon 1Dx, Canon EosR and a Canon 6D. Horses for courses and being my interest is in wildlife photography I would always grab my 1Dx first. In my last trip to Africa I specifically wanted a second body as a back up, but mostly to carry when I was trekking. If the R5 was available I would have jumped all over it but it wasn't so I picked up a EOS R. For portrait work this camera is a gun and I would not think I could take better photos with any other body (love the eye focus).

Without a doubt when I do plan my next trip I will purchase a EOS R5. I tend to spend a bit of money when I travel so I want equipment that is reliable and quality, plus the 1Dx is getting a bit long in the tooth for a digital body. I also think the future is in mirrorless, and the bodies will only become more refined as the years pass.
    I agree with what your saying about the body's Brian and now with the different systems, mirrorless, MFT etc there are plenty of choices for someone coming in fresh.
    I'm like you and have always had Canon, because that's what Dad had, and couldn't see the sense in changing brands just because Nikon, Sony etc come up with something new.

I just sold my 5Diii and i'll sell the 80D when the R5 arrives and probable keep my 5Div but then i need to be careful with my lens.
    I'm in 2 minds really do i keep the 5Div and just try and manages the lens or ditch it and get a second R body?

Decisions, decisions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swap you an EOS R for your 5D IV?

(Not sure I'm supposed to say such things outside the trade and swap forum, and I know for sure that you (as a new member) can't, but maybe something to think about down the track when we can travel again. I have a silly superstition about having two cameras of the exact same model - every time I have ever done that (Coolpix 4500, 20D, 40D) one of the two has blown up on me. But I know it's a ridiculous superstition and I ought to get over it. I like and dislike the R - mostly dislike - and I love, love, love the 5D IV.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha.... sorry don't think i'll swap for the R. I'll wait till the 5 arrives and give it a workout before making a call. If i do anything i think it'd be an R6 or another 5. I'll wait an see.

I do know of a couple of people on the POTN site that are selling 1DXii's after using the R5 so that has to say something!!

My 5Div has been a great camera (still is) but the AEF 12/20 fps of the R5 just looks to good. It looks like the R5 is even outperforming the 5Div in ISO as well from what some are showing not to mention the 45mp. I shoot mainly wildlife so i'm really looking forward to it.

As i said before my biggest problem is how to manage the glass. I always carry 2 body's and if they're a mix of RF & EF i can just see it being a pain in the a@#$

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rexboggs5 View Post
    I pre-ordered the Canon R5 and received it a bit over a week ago. I haven't had much time to take photos with it yet, but as a stills camera (with occasional wee videos), it looks great.

Has anyone else ordered and/or received the R5? It would be good to share experiences.
    Any updates mate on how it's performing so far?

Are you using EF or RF glass?

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had both RF and EF glass I would move over solely to R bodies. EF glass fits R bodies but RF glass does not fit DLSR bodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Brian that's pretty much we're im at.

At present i've got all EF lens.... 400 2.8iii, 16-35 2.8iii, 70-200 2.8ii and 100 2.8 Macro.

I've just ordered a RF 100-500 which should be here in the next week or so. Once i get sorted i'll look at swapping the 70-200 to an RF and then the only other i'll look at is the RF 24-70 or the 28-70 and i recon that'll see me out .

Anyway, gotta get the camera first and they're telling me today still sometime in Oct so i'll just have to twiddle my thumbs till then.