User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  30

Thread: I have just been awarded $850,000...

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just been awarded $850,000...

It seems some philanthropic person, via an unsolicited e-mail, probably a Nigerian Prince, has awarded me a research grant of $850,000 due to my dedication to pursuing a vaccine for COVID-19.

I suppose if I reply, I could then fund a Canon 1DX Mk III, a brace of EOS R5's and a nice big white 600mm F4 L.

Decisions, decisions; what should I do?

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These actions:

Un-solicitor><You
    /Un-solicitor (ie, place him beneath the dancing elephant.)
    Write back an email.
    Increasingly less salubrious options
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    It seems some philanthropic person, via an unsolicited e-mail, probably a Nigerian Prince, has awarded me a research grant of $850,000 due to my dedication to pursuing a vaccine for COVID-19.

I suppose if I reply, I could then fund a Canon 1DX Mk III, a brace of EOS R5's and a nice big white 600mm F4 L.

Huh? Wait for the 5D V, of course.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Huh? Wait for the 5D V, of course.
    Hi Tony

Sadly, I'm not sure that we might ever see a 5D Mk V, with the EOS R5 and R6 due imminently and the drop in demand for DSLRs....

Fingers crossed though.

Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on whether Canon wants the money or not, Denis. Canon can't make a mirrorless camera that works as well as a 5D IV, and who is going to spend money on a downgrade? Certainly not me. I have the money, I'm happy to spend it. All they have to do is make a better 5D IV. Or a better 7D II. Or, of course, both.

Meanwhile, you have to figure out what to do with the rest of your $850,000.

My suggestion is to emulate Georgie Best who, on being asked why he was stony broke after once being the richest man in world soccer, said "Well, I spent three-quarters of my fortune on parties, grog, girls, and horse races, and I wasted the rest."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers

Dennis
    wake up your dreaming
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you would like to invest in real estate, I have some prime land on Mud Island for you. The bridge should be built any day now
    Gear: Canon EOS R with a mix of Canon & Tamron lenses.
    I don't take photos because I am good at it, I take photos because I like to.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just click my link and you will be in the money:
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Just click my link and you will be in the money:
    Hah thanks Rick - whilst the risk of that link being harmful is very, very, very small indeed....it is not zero.

Given that should the risk eventuate the consequences could be major, in keeping with that well worn phrase that "curiosity killed the cat", I will pass.

Cheers

Dennis

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should do a youtube search for James Veitch. He has some funny videos of his responses to scams
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - get the money than hightail it to your lab and get us that vaccine.
    Glenda

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    you should do a youtube search for James Veitch. He has some funny videos of his responses to scams
    Just had a few lol moments watching a couple of those videos.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah thanks Rick - whilst the risk of that link being harmful is very, very, very small indeed....it is not zero.

Given that should the risk eventuate the consequences could be major, in keeping with that well worn phrase that "curiosity killed the cat", I will pass.

Cheers

Dennis
    It goes without saying that I was not questioning the integrity of Rick, just that with today's "man-in-the-middle" attacks, "spoofing" and "social engineering" events, I could not be certain that a powerful state actor had somehow spoofed my thread in an attempt to claim my $850,000 windfall.

Me, paranoid - no way but I'll keep on wearing my Aluminium Foil hat, just in case.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me see if I've got this straight.

• "A powerful state actor" (this is code for "China") is claiming the $850,000
    • The $850,000 is coming from Nigeria.
    • Nigeria, like every other not-so-rich country, is getting the money from China in exchange for ... well, basically in exchange for Nigeria, or at least all the good bits of it, such as the ports and airports and mines and factories and tourist districts. (This is called "belt and road". Nobody knows why, it just is.)

So, essentially, it's the modern circular economy in action. They are just getting their own money back. (Oh, and parts of Nigeria, of course.)

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dennis! .. it seems you were too late in your response to the Nigerian Prince.

They've offered it to me now, and I accepted their generous offer and plan to built a new COVID vaccine production facility .. resplendent with much Nikon glass and latest gen silicon chips in Nikon labelled black boxes.
    It appears there was a sense of urgency to throw away all that money on a worthy cause ... make this donation.

Anyhow, I'll be sure to post some pics of the vaccines, once completed.
    (bad luck mate ... apologies for barging in on your moment of glory, but the offer came prior to me reading this thread, and the check is already in the mail)

Oh! and for scamming scammers, funniest videos on this topic comes from Joe Lycett(comedian) .. do a search for his routine on "Gemma"
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Hey Dennis! .. it seems you were too late in your response to the Nigerian Prince.

They've offered it to me now, and I accepted their generous offer and plan to built a new COVID vaccine production facility .. resplendent with much Nikon glass and latest gen silicon chips in Nikon labelled black boxes.
    It appears there was a sense of urgency to throw away all that money on a worthy cause ... make this donation.

Anyhow, I'll be sure to post some pics of the vaccines, once completed.
    (bad luck mate ... apologies for barging in on your moment of glory, but the offer came prior to me reading this thread, and the check is already in the mail)

Oh! and for scamming scammers, funniest videos on this topic comes from Joe Lycett(comedian) .. do a search for his routine on "Gemma"
    No worries Arthur, go for it.

I'll make do with the "I've been selected for the free...." Bunnings & Woolworth's vouchers instead.

Cheers

Dennis

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hurt i haven't been offered...

I even have an email specifically for replying to scams... :-)
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."