User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  47
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instagram photographers (slight rant)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instagram photographers (slight rant)

Sorry rant coming here.......

How many here are on Instagram? I am and I share my picture's I've taken with my camera (not phone). I follow many other photographers with some of those Brisbane based.

I see alot of pictures with crooked horizons heavily HEAVILY saturated sunsets and only recently a photographer shared an image somewhere in Brisbane of a light pole .. again heavily saturated and you could clearly see white ghosting around the base of the lamp post.. yet they have a tribe of followers and one of those followers is nikonaustralia?? sorry but I just do not "get it"

You can really see post processing taken way too far.

They all need to join Ausphotography and learn how to shoot.

Rant over

Thanks
    Nikon D7500 Tamron SP AF 90mm 10-20mm Sigma 18-55 VR 55-200 VR 50mm lens Manfrotto tripod 10 Stop ND filter ND Grad filters

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good rant - a lost cause
    Last edited by ameerat42; 29-05-2020 at 9:59am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually just joined instagram to start sharing pictures with friends. Although. Starting to wonder if I was better off sticking with facebook for the purpose... more of my friends (I feel the older demographic are more confident on Facebook than they are Instagram) are on Facebook and then I can just share my photos more widely in the applicable groups I follow. Time will tell.

But on your rant - I have very much seen the same. Massive pages, huge followers, and not that I can be a judge, but looked at a few photos and thought meh!

Instagram feels a lot more like who you know, not what you know...
    - Brendan

Nikon D3500
    NIKKOR AF-P DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    NIKKOR AF-P DX 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR
    SIGMA 150-600mm C

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GorgeWalker View Post
    I actually just joined instagram to start sharing pictures with friends. Although. Starting to wonder if I was better off sticking with facebook for the purpose... more of my friends (I feel the older demographic are more confident on Facebook than they are Instagram) are on Facebook and then I can just share my photos more widely in the applicable groups I follow. Time will tell.

But on your rant - I have very much seen the same. Massive pages, huge followers, and not that I can be a judge, but looked at a few photos and thought meh!

Ha exactly Brendan, I see some pics and think oh wow if they shared that to ausphotography they'd be slaughtered haha

What name do you go under on insta?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty13 View Post
    Ha exactly Brendan, I see some pics and think oh wow if they shared that to ausphotography they'd be slaughtered haha

What name do you go under on insta?
    eyeofthewanderer_photography Yours?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eyeofthewanderer_photography Yours?
    I just started following you, tyronne_anderson_photography is mine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Followed you both.
    Agree 100% with your rant Ty. It's a little bit embarrassing at times to see the gushing praise for images that I wouldn't even post if they were mine. Unfortunately that's the way of the world now.

I saw Ken Duncan talking about photography competitions. Said he used to enter them all the time and never once got a look in and was always confused upon seeing the winning image. Concluded by saying that the public were better judges than many so called art critics.

I think this may have been true before the social media age, but it's not anymore. The public follow whoever the algorithm in the app tells them too.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    A good rant - a lost cause
    Totally agree with ameerat42 comment.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't 'get' instagram. I have an account and I just do not understand the whole 'influencer' rubbish. Like I am going to buy something because, like, some 19 year old in a bikini, like, says it is the best thing ever, and like, she cannot do without it, like. (when did dumb become an asset)?

However, unlike a lot of Aussie's, I quite enjoy twitter. Even if just to see the latest comments from Donald and Elon to give me a laugh.
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-05-2020 at 6:35pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I don't 'get' instagram. ....

However, unlike a lot of Aussie's, I quite enjoy twitter. Even if just to see the latest comments from Donald and Elon to give me a laugh.
    The idiosyncratic, grammatical stupidity that is the "like" chatter is subliminal messaging at it's most vile .. ie. to get folks to 'like'

I want to know which idiot started this form of commentary .. and can we, like, invoke, like, the mob rule principle upon them and, like, delete them, like, from history!

I once relented and joined FB at the request of a friend some years ago. Hadn't used it for about 2 years until a recent friend asked me to catch up with them there too.
    But don't use it much.

Then again, I live in a cave in the middle of Aus, thousands of klms from, like, the nearest grocery store!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular Hunter50's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ty, I am on Instagram and I enjoy using it. Like you, I follow photographers and I also follow people who put photos on Instagram. I also stop following photographers and people who put photos on Instagram, if I don't enjoy what they are posting. There are tonnes of gaudy and noisy photos on Instagram, you have to pick and choose what you look at and who you follow. There is nothing like saturated sunsets and filters, it must make your photos look good, not that I think that.

I actually know a fair number of my followers and who I follow, I have met them and been friends for a long time. I like Instagram, it lets me show my photos, and sometimes people like them. Like everything, you need to be discerning.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter50 View Post
    Hey Ty, I am on Instagram and I enjoy using it. Like you, I follow photographers and I also follow people who put photos on Instagram. I also stop following photographers and people who put photos on Instagram, if I don't enjoy what they are posting. There are tonnes of gaudy and noisy photos on Instagram, you have to pick and choose what you look at and who you follow. There is nothing like saturated sunsets and filters, it must make your photos look good, not that I think that.

I actually know a fair number of my followers and who I follow, I have met them and been friends for a long time. I like Instagram, it lets me show my photos, and sometimes people like them. Like everything, you need to be discerning.
    What is your insta name .. I want to check out your over saturated sunsets

Ausphotography Regular Hunter50's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s hunters.photographs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everything on the net you have to sort the wheat from the chaff. There are definitely some excellent photographers on there - check out everlook_photography by Ausphotography member Dylon Toh as an example. I did join when my son did a 12 month OS climbing trip and it's great to see what he and other young relatives, throughout Aus, are doing. The extra step of having to crop to the preferred size and aspect ratio meant I haven't posted much personally. As for the influencers, well people of my generation just shake their heads in bewilderment.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no correlation between quality and the number of follows one might accrue on instagram
    As for being followed by Nikon, or any other brand for that matter, you only need to tag a few photos with Nikon related tags and they will follow you, again it is not a validation of the quality of images that are posted by the account

Posting to Instagram is not limited to what you deem to be a good photographer, anybody can take or make images, with a camera, with a phone, with a scanner how ever they choose and post them to Instagram

I went and had a look at your feed, you have a feed of good photos, that I am sure if I took the time I could critique the hell out of at least a few, doesn't make me right, doesn't make them bad photos, just my opinion.
    One thing I did notice though is that Nikon Australia don't follow your feed, maybe that is the crux of this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ty13 View Post
    Sorry rant coming here.......

How many here are on Instagram? I am and I share my picture's I've taken with my camera (not phone). I follow many other photographers with some of those Brisbane based.

I see alot of pictures with crooked horizons heavily HEAVILY saturated sunsets and only recently a photographer shared an image somewhere in Brisbane of a light pole .. again heavily saturated and you could clearly see white ghosting around the base of the lamp post.. yet they have a tribe of followers and one of those followers is nikonaustralia?? sorry but I just do not "get it"

You can really see post processing taken way too far.

They all need to join Ausphotography and learn how to shoot.

Rant over

Thanks
    Last edited by MarkChap; 30-05-2020 at 5:31pm.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

“He who thinks little, errs much…” L.DV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy it for what it is, if you don't just leave it be.

- - - Updated - - -

Accept it for what it is or just leave it be.

Wonder what you think of mine? I continually tag Nikon and have never received a follow so mine must be shockers.

See you follow a couple of people I know, perhaps you belong to a FB group that I do.

Have just given you a follow, lovely natural shots you have posted. I'm am_ando
    Last edited by One Click; 30-05-2020 at 4:09pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each of you has a new follower, I mainly joined Instagram because my nephews are on there just as another form of catching up with them and for some of the automotive content. I have expanded since to include some of my other interests. Don't really do Facebook anymore just jump on every now & then to see what is going on. I will eventually use Instagram for my photography but I want to try and improve a bit more first.
    Gear: Canon EOS R with a mix of Canon & Tamron lenses.
    I don't take photos because I am good at it, I take photos because I like to.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    There is no correlation between quality and the number of follows one might accrue on instagram
    As for being followed by Nikon, or any other brand for that matter, you only need to tag a few photos with Nikon related tags and they will follow you, again it is not a validation of the quality of images that are posted by the account

Posting to Instagram is not limited to what you deem to be a good photographer, anybody can take or make images, with a camera, with a phone, with a scanner how ever they choose and post them to Instagram

I went and had a look at your feed, you have a feed of good photos, that I am sure if I took the time I could critique the hell out of at least a few, doesn't make me right, doesn't make them bad photos, just my opinion.
    One thing I did notice though is that Nikon Australia don't follow your feed, maybe that is the crux of this post
    whoa hang on there mark.. I think you've gotten a bit serious there, what are you trying to achieve by that last line?

are you for real?
    Last edited by Ty13; 31-05-2020 at 9:27pm.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't follow any social media. Life is already overfull.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if a lot of people like saturated sunsets, so be it. So long as people are getting enjoyment out of their photos, that is the main thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instragram is a gigantic American tax-avoiding company which goes out of its way to promote anti-democratic actions and bears quite a lot of the responsibility for, among various other public disasters, the Trump Presidency.

Australian Photography isn't there to make money out of you and it doesn't try to influence elections.

I know which one I'm a member of.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast