Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Strap for Big Lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strap for Big Lens

Hi All,

So - now have my Sigma 150-600C. Great lens. But heavy.

How do you all carry these bad boys around, in terms of tethering/straps? I don't mind the strap that came with it, which attaches to the metal bracket that I assume mounts to a tripod but it's not padded at all and I wonder if there are better more ergonomic options.

Edit - Additional note. It feels "wrong" to now have a strap that attaches to the camera, with the big lens dangling off the camera and hence putting a heap of stress on the mount...feel like it's safer and kinder on my kit to tether to the actual lens... am I being overly cautious?

Cheers.
    Last edited by GorgeWalker; 26-05-2020 at 10:47am.
    - Brendan

Nikon D3500
    NIKKOR AF-P DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    NIKKOR AF-P DX 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR
    SIGMA 150-600mm C

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Q: Is it a "shoulder" strap, or do you think it's only long enough to reach around your neck?

If the first, then why don't you just make up a bit of [what you find to be] suitable padding yourself?
    Else, there are a brand of such accessories called BlackRapid.

(My usual approach to carrying a long zoom (Σ50-50...) is to lug it about in the camera bag until I need it,
    then just support it by hand. I only have a camera neck-strap attached, so I certainly don't let it all hang
    off that. Otherwise it's on a tripod or other mount. - But all this is just to suit my particular usage.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    A Q: Is it a "shoulder" strap, or do you think it's only long enough to reach around your neck?

If the first, then why don't you just make up a bit of [what you find to be] suitable padding yourself?
    Else, there are a brand of such accessories called BlackRapid.

(My usual approach to carrying a long zoom (Σ50-50...) is to lug it about in the camera bag until I need it,
    then just support it by hand. I only have a camera neck-strap attached, so I certainly don't let it all hang
    off that. Otherwise it's on a tripod or other mount. - But all this is just to suit my particular usage.)
    It just makes it over one shoulder. Can possibly pad it myself.

I actually have a cheap ebay camera backpack coming (Not sure I'll like that style of carry so thought I'd give something cheap a try first), but would prefer to have the camera on hand.

I'll have a look at BlackRapid.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they should go diagonally from one side of your neck to under the other shoulder.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I think they should go diagonally from one side of your neck to under the other shoulder.
    Yeah, just tried it. That's actually quite comfortable, if only it had a bit more padding. Wonder I can get one of those slide on pad things, like the ones you put on kids seat belts etc.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one of these "across the back" web harnesses.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...on_camera.html

I modified it by adding as set of custom fitted Peak Design Anchor Links (e.g. in the link below) on a Stainless Steel ring that slides up and down the strap so I can easily lift the camera to me eye or let it slide down to a rest position.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...era_wrist.html

I can carry a 5D and 100-400 all day with little fatigue as the weight is distributed across your back. Also, when I lean forward to tie a boot lace, the camera does not swing out.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a suitable baby carrier which I wear on my front. Carries camera plus 100-400 canon very comfortably and totally leaves my hands free. Makes life easier traversing rocks etc. I've lined inside the carrier with a waterproof bag just in case I end up somewhere wet.

Downside is clucky ladies coming over to check out the "baby". Some don't even ask, they flip the head support to peep in and admire the "baby". They get a shock when they see my "baby"

For people not wanting to be seen dead wearing a baby carrier, there are now camera harnesses built on similar lines, but some are very expensive. Trouble is the camera just hangs down your front, and there is no bag to protect it. Something along these lines https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tag=ezvid02-20

Maybe looking further would turn up something similar with a padded bag to hold the camera. I never looked any further after being offered the baby carrier for free. Tons of no longer used baby carriers around

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an extra long Arca plate and an aftermarket strap with dog leash mounts on it to support the lens, can carry it all day.

20151006-Lens strap-2.jpg
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps take a look at the Black Rapid series straps?

This one is a similar style to the one I have for my Sigma.

Perhaps check out eBay, you can normally find knock offs for cheaper..... searching for camera sling, or similar....
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food for thought here, thanks guys. Will definitely have a look at some of the suggestions above.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once used to use a strap(for my 300/2.8) but found it more annoying than helpful. I really don't like them!
    For resting, the lens hood is always on, so camera is set lens face down on something hard(eg rocks or pavement, or whatever) and then any obstacle is negotiated.

Otherwise a good tripod(carbon fibre) was the better option, clamped properly to the lens foot, front of lens down, over the shoulder legs retracted.
    For bushwalking with a large lens, I found best way, and when scrambling over stuff, also use the closed down tripod like a pseudo hiking pole.

A few years later, having met Tony(Tannin) and seeing how he chose to move around, I learned that the pain on the shoulder is minimised with some good padding!
    Doh! I knew it, just never thought to do something about it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N