Thread: Nature Photography Dilemma - Raise ISO or Drop Shutter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I guess, in short, I'm not really sure.

I'm in the IT business so tend to prefer to admit to user error before equipement issue (if you've ever worked in IT you would understand why ). So I'm trying to refine how I go about obtaining focus. I do attempt and try to remember to "feather" rather than "tap" the back button for focus. Practice makes perfect.

I think the other half of the problem is a lot of the time I'm trying to focus on a small bird, with a medium range lens at a fair distance away. So missing focus isn't the hardrest thing to do - if I'm off the slightest, well focus is off. Gray Fantail is a good example. When I've had the opportunity to capture a shot of a small bird that is close, I've had much better success.

I may try this test I Like to watch has recomended. At a minimum it will give me reassurance that my gear is spot on as I'm about 90% sure it's me, not the camera. As I do have some good shots that I would consider sharp.

As a quick test just 15 minutes ago I saw a spotted dove on the neighbours roof, and as I was comforable (slippers, board shorts and from the comfort of my garage door) I was able to fire off some what I think were some pretty sharp shots. I think this adds to my belief it's likely my own technique and ability.

Spotted Dove
    Last edited by GorgeWalker; 17-05-2020 at 4:20pm.