Thread: Coronavirus (COVID 19)

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    #7 of these is definitely the hardest to remember not to do.
    I have one of those dog things you put over the dogs head when they have had ear surgery etc to stop them scratching at their ears... would you like to hire my cone of shame?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking they should bring back the hula hoop. Imagine how easy it would be to
    keep your distance as people gyrate their way down the street with them

This youngster shows how
    CC, Image editing OK.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    #7 of these is definitely the hardest to remember not to do.
    On a serious note. Number 7 is the MOST important of all of the above. Covid-19 is a respiratory virus. It cannot be caught through your skin. The only path it has to infect you is through your eyes, nose, mouth. All of these being on your face. Even if you managed to get the virus on your hands, it cannot do anything to you, until you then put your hands on your face, giving it a path to enter your body.

There are two ways it can enter your body.

1. You touch a surface and then transfer it to your face. Transferring it from yourself or someone else.
    2. You inhale it from another person.

The Covid-19 virus has a sheath around it that is protecting it. This sheath is made up of lipids (fats). Washing your hands with soap and water, the soap breaches the lipid sheath, and kills the virus. Soap and water is a brilliant way to kill the virus. Hand sanitiser works too as it is usually at least 70% ethanol. Alcohol penetrates the sheath also.

Keeping your hands clean is imperative as you have found, it is hard not to touch your face. So if your hands are cleaned, you cannot transfer the virus from your hands to your face.

The second way (2) is why we have social distancing. Think about a winter night, you go for a walk and your breath can be seen as a 'fog' as you walk along. That 'fog' is there everytime you breathe, its just that we cannot see it when the air is warmer. Now if you breathe out, and someone else walks through your 'fog' they can breathe in the droplets and along with it, the virus. Same thing with coughing and sneezing. Hence the social distancing.

Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, use hand sanitiser when you can if soap and water is not available. Refrain from touching your face and keeping social distance, and if you do this well, you should not catch this virus.

I work in healthcare and I reckon I am washing my hands about 30-50 times each day at present. Especially seeing as I work in dental : https://www.dentistry.co.uk/2020/03/...skiest-dental/
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-03-2020 at 6:45pm.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, are you still working?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Rick, are you still working?
    Yes. Because I am in Tasmania, and we have no community transmission at this time, only people coming into the state (off cruise ships mostly) who when in isolation, are getting sick. So we can continue to treat patients, with added precautions. We have to ask each patient a series of questions before they can even come anywhere near our reception counter. Everything has to be cleaned between each patient (floors, counter tops, pens, eftpos machine, door handles) we also ask patients to use hand sanitiser before and after touching anything. So if they need to sign something. hand sanitiser, pen, hand sanitiser and then the pen is cleaned by us.

If it goes to community transmission, we then move to a level where we do not do check-ups etc, and only treat people who have decay/tooth ache etc.

We have a five level response system. Level 0 being no concerns and business/people can go on as usual. Like we all did a month ago. Through to level 4 where we only treat severe toothaches, and where we only do things like provide antibiotics etc to reduce infection rather than actually treating the patient.

However, the government could decide we are not an essential service at any time and shut us down.
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-03-2020 at 6:48am.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also learned yesterday that shaking hands is something guys find difficult not to do. Some house behind us has a leak which our back yard seems to be copping the run off from so we reported it to the Council. A Council employee came to inspect the problem and he was apparently an ex student of my husband's. Both immediately put out their hands to shake before I reminded them NO.

I am consciously trying not to touch my face - maybe plastic gloves as per Tannin's suggestions would help. I'm more conscious of not doing so when grocery shopping but I still find myself at home with my hand to my face on occasions.
    Glenda

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I was thinking they should bring back the hula hoop. Imagine how easy it would be to
    keep your distance as people gyrate their way down the street with them

This youngster shows how
    We could all wear hoop skirts

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    ...a level where we do not do check-ups etc, and only treat people who have decay/tooth ache etc...
    As here, apparently. Yesterday the dentist's rang and (effectively) cancelled my appointment for today - a twice-yearly check/clean - citing that
    it was not an urgent procedure and that they were on hold indefinitely.

So, I was rather dis-appointed (by them). - Fangs for nothing

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As here, apparently. Yesterday the dentist's rang and (effectively) cancelled my appointment for today - a twice-yearly check/clean - citing that
    it was not an urgent procedure and that they were on hold indefinitely.

So, I was rather dis-appointed (by them). - Fangs for nothing
    Yes, NSW and VIC are one level above Tasmania. Not sure about other States because I have not really looked at where their escalation levels presently are.

The escalation plan is publicly available : https://www.ada.org.au/Campaign/COVI...-Publishe.aspx
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-03-2020 at 7:14am.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    the government could decide we are not an essential service at any time and shut us down.
    And fair enough too. It's not as if toothaches and dental health are important things like haircuts and blowwaves.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems Councils Elections are more important that health here in QLD and you will get fined for not voting by tomorrow Saturday the 28th March.
    After waiting for our Postal Votes that never came, they forgot to send many out a big mistake as some people cannot drive or walk.
    One consolation for us that we could vote during the week so did so on Tuesday, one voter ahead of us and none is sight anywhere else.
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 27-03-2020 at 10:17am.

I shoot with Canon and Olympus Cameras.. And My iPhone SE
    And sometimes a Little Old Panasonic DMC-TZ7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a site to show you the spread of the virus within Victoria - most sites are concentrating globally, so this is of more direct use to us down here.

https://tinyurl.com/tw8ehpy

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Seems Councils Elections are more important that health here in QLD and you will get fined for not voting by tomorrow Saturday the 28th March.
    Here is the "rationale" in all its glory: https://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/elections...ction-measures

The first mistake is in the 1st paragraph, partly cited as:
    "...This includes the declaration of COVID-19 as a global pandemic ..."

What pandemics are NOT global??

Next, where is it said to take your OWN pencils? (Like I heard somewhere.)
    ---Oh, here it is, tucked away in an obscure PDF link: cited in part:
    "...Voters are encouraged to bring their own pen or pencil with them to vote, although pencils will still be available to all voters..."

Well, now there's no excuse not to go and vote

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read all that and many other links Am it took a while to find things it was only when our postal votes did not arrive that I started looking.
    And Yes very confusing for some.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What pandemics are NOT global??
    Almost as good as one of the former US Presidents declaring "a lot of our Imports come from Overseas"
    Last edited by I Like to Watch; 27-03-2020 at 1:23pm.
    < Photography is just a hobby for me. Take any of my opinions and/or criticisms with a grain of salt >

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Read all that and many other links Am it took a while to find things it was only when our postal votes did not arrive that I started looking.
    And Yes very confusing for some.
    I kept waiting for the election to be cancelled - crazy that it hasn't been. We too voted early and it was quite busy but everyone was keeping their 1.5m apart. I was surprised not to see hand sanitizer available though. I'm wondering how people doing their 14 days compulsory self isolation get on and think a large number of people will choose not to vote anyway. I think there will be a lot of valid excuses to avoid the fine.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted
    Last edited by Gazza; 28-03-2020 at 12:35pm.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, Gazza. It was getting to be repetitive - those truncated 6-letter words

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, Gazza. It was getting to be repetitive - those truncated 6-letter words
    I tried to post a youtube vid but the sound didn't work???.

It was rather explicit, so perhaps it worked out for the best

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast