User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: New EOS R5 announced

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New EOS R5 announced

Canon announced a new mirrorless body today, the R5. Details are very sparse, but it looks as though it's going to have a proper body and real controls (as opposed to the awful EOS R, which has neither), have a 40MP sensor, and in-body IS. Most of their announcement waffles on about video resolution (who cares?), so there is not much else to go on at this stage. But at least we are going to have a mirrorless Canon camera which looks and acts like a Canon camera (as opposed to the EOR R, which might as well have been a Sony) and that has to be a good thing.

They have also announced 7 new RF lenses - a 100-500 f/7.1 and the rest unknown so far - and two teleconverters. The fact that they are making TCs suggests that they will make at least one super-tele in R format.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right. It could be a waffle iron for all they say, if you're talking about this:
    https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon...-of-the-eos-r5

Other references contain lots of talk and little detail - well, none - as well.

But, BOY! Capable of 8K video!!? - That's interesting.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    You're right. It could be a waffle iron for all they say, if you're talking about this:
    https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon...-of-the-eos-r5

Other references contain lots of talk and little detail - well, none - as well.

But, BOY! Capable of 8K video!!? - That's interesting.
    Is 8K any actual use for anything?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Yes, soaking up bandwidth

I'm sure it would have its uses, even if I can't think of any "consumer" ones right now.

BTW, speaking of "latest things", the Samsung S20 "phone" also sports 8K vide
    - Gosh, I remember when "trunk calls" were something esoteric, and then came STD!

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t discount the video capabilities, there are a lot of professionals out there using DSLR’s for video production. Canon have long been criticised for lagging in video capabilities since it introduced the then ground breaking video capabilities of the 5DII.

From what I’ve read higher resolution gives more scope for cropping and stabilisation in post production, plus they’ve also introduced in body image stabilisation. Hopefully it will be as good as the hype, but I doubt it will be affordable.
    Last edited by phild; 15-02-2020 at 10:52am.