Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: confusion on R series

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confusion on R series

Hi ,
    trying to work out what is going on with Canon in relationship to their mirrorless range
    Their seems to be 2 in the full frame R series and I am trying to work out what way to go
    I have a 5Dmkiii with L series lenses so want to keep things compatible in regards to lenses and batteries.I know that i will need an adapter to use the Lenses that I have and that is not an issue (yet)
    If I am going to upgrade or add to my kit which way do you go?
    Thanks in advance

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 5D Mk IV and the EOS-R (Not the EOS-RP) and they both take (newish) Canon LP-E6N battery, which is fully backward compatible with the LP-E6. Capacity has been increased to 1865Mah, but the battery still charges in regular LC-E6E Chargers.

I believe that the EOS-RP uses a different, smaller battery.

You will need the Canon EF-EOS R Mount adapter to allow you to use your EF and EF-S lenses on the EOS R mirrorless. I have the one with the Control Ring which I use for Expsoure Compensation.

There is some talk of the imminent release of a Canon EOS-R5 which appears to have higher specs that the EOS-R.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    I have a 5D Mk IV and the EOS-R (Not the EOS-RP) and they both take (newish) Canon LP-E6N battery, which is fully backward compatible with the LP-E6. Capacity has been increased to 1865Mah, but the battery still charges in regular LC-E6E Chargers.

I believe that the EOS-RP uses a different, smaller battery.

You will need the Canon EF-EOS R Mount adapter to allow you to use your EF and EF-S lenses on the EOS R mirrorless. I have the one with the Control Ring which I use for Expsoure Compensation.

There is some talk of the imminent release of a Canon EOS-R5 which appears to have higher specs that the EOS-R.

Cheers

Dennis
    Thanks for your reply, yes I did know that the current R mount specs but , what I was trying to find out is will the new release be same battery etc (card slots) and perhaps when available .
    Would like to get before trip beginning of June

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, the current players:

1: The EOS R. This sits, overall, about equal with the 6D series. It has the 30MP sensor from the 5D IV, but other features more akin to a 6D (only a single card slot, for example). The body and handling, however, is similar to the cheap little 200D crop camera - it's a small, cramped body, with no joystick and no rear thumbwheel. So, on average, think of the R as being around about 6D level.

2: The EOS RP. This is an even smaller camera with a 20MP full frame sensor and a very small battery. It has no SLR equivalent.

3: The new one. This could be anything at all. Whichever feature you dream about, it is rumoured to have it. And rumoured not to have it. And so on. No-one can say when it will be released or what it might be. Anyone who does "know" and says so is a liar. Simple as that. Canon are very, very good at keeping their new models secret until release day. My guess - and it's just that, a guess - is that there will be a mirrorless 5D equivalent with dual card slots, full control set (including back thumb wheel, joystick, and touch screen) and a new 35-45MP sensor which will be shared with the 5D V. I doubt that either one will be available at retail as early as June - after all, they are not shipping the 1DX III in volume yet, and that was announced some time back.

Once the dust settles, I'll certainly get a 5D V, and I may well replace my unloved R with an "R5", if Canon have fixed some of the major current R Series problems by then. As always, it is a case of wait and see.

If you need a new camera now, get a 5D IV. It is simply the best all-round performer Canon makes. It's not cheap, but it is worth every penny.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.