Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Eye glasses

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eye glasses

Hi all.

As I move through my late 50s I'm finding it harder to clearly see the rear LCD and camera settings with my reading glasses which are set for arms length reading.

When doing my landscape photography I need (I think) a pair of transition glasses to see from say 300-400mm (camera setup and adjustment) to say 100-200mm (viewing the rear LCD display). This is outdoor use obviously so robust frames and lens.

I have the viewfinder dioptric set so I can see clearly through it without glasses

Interested to know what other people are doing to deal with this issue.

Cheers,

Mark
    Canon 5Ds, 16-35mm F4 L, 24-105mm F4 L.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wearing reading glasses since before I bought my first DSLR and I've never had a problem reading the pertinent information on the LCD screen with them. I don't however trust my eyes, even with glasses, to evaluate the photo without zooming to 100% to check for sharpness. I can also read the details, with the help of the diopter and without glasses, through the viewfinder.

I used to teach music and I did have a problem, when sitting next to a student, not being able to read notes on the sheet music without leaning closer. My optometrist did prescribe glasses which fixed this problem - not bifocals but, if I remember correctly, a centre point to allow more distant reading, so it's obviously doable.
    Glenda

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
    Hi all.

As I move through my late 50s I'm finding it harder to clearly see the rear LCD and camera settings with my reading glasses which are set for arms length reading.

When doing my landscape photography I need (I think) a pair of transition glasses to see from say 300-400mm (camera setup and adjustment) to say 100-200mm (viewing the rear LCD display). This is outdoor use obviously so robust frames and lens.

I have the viewfinder dioptric set so I can see clearly through it without glasses

Interested to know what other people are doing to deal with this issue.

Cheers,

Mark
    When needed, I take a +2 pair of reading glasses (usual setting for reading) outside to view screen info, etc.
    When I forget to, I "can sort of squint", but usually make an remark about it. I use $5 glasses from
    Reject Shop for reading, the low profile ones that you can look over (as well as overlook to bring ).
    My camera dioptric setting is "0", ie for "infinity".
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply use the viewfinder for almost everything. With a properly designed modern camera (like yours) you can adjust almost any setting without taking your eye from the viewfinder. You do need to use the rear LCD for checking exposure, but you shouldn't need glasses just to glance at the histogram and confirm that it is within sensible limits - a vague shape is sufficient - nor to get a feel for the overall look of the shot - that's about colour tone more than anything else. I find that there are only one or two things I need glasses for. (Stuff you need to do via the menu system - even here, you get to know the regular operations by heart and the shape of the words - "format" for example.)

Many photographers these days, especially the younger selfie generation, use the rear screen for composition. I have no idea why. It's a daft way to operate unless there are particular constraints in operation (e.g., macro work). Viewfinders rule.

I reckon you will very likely find that you can do nearly everything with just your normal glasses. For the odd task that needs more, slip a pair of cheap mags into your pocket.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gents.

To date I've got by with squinting, using the viewfinder whenever possible and a cheap pair of glasses from the chemist that give me a focus point of say 150mm. I was hoping for some new tech option that had escaped me thus far.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^It'd only be some newly-discovered way of holding one's mouth while squinting
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-02-2020 at 9:54am.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long since your last eye check-up? Was there any mention of cataracts forming?

I've recently had cataracts removed and my eyesight is now as good as it ever was, which was excellent.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'