User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: Camera for Safari trip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera for Safari trip

So I will be travelling to South Africa (and surrounds) for Safari and looking for a good travel camera that will do the job. Portability is a big thing for us.

We looked at the z50 and the EM10 today, both with 14-150mm lenses I believe. These were about as big as we want to go.

I know we will give up some zoom but we are OK with that.

We will be doing private reserves so should be able to get closer to the animals than in public Kruger for example.

Keen to hear people's thoughts.

Budget is 1.5-2k max

Cheers

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both the Nikon and Olympus should serve you well.

Choosing the brand for you is a bit like choose Android vs Apple, Mac vs PC, or even car brands. Everyone has their own views on which is best, usually based on what they use themselves.

One thing to consider is that you are buying into a system. Don't just think about this current trip, but consider what you might do with the camera in the future as well. Then look at what other lenses etc you may want to obtain, along with other accessories. Because once you buy into a brand, it is easier to add more lenses and equipment, than it is to swap to another brand.

So whilst your current needs are for safari photography in Africa, also think about future uses.

And as a beginner, between now and when you go, learn as much as you can about photography. The knowledge and skill of the person taking the photos is paramount to getting great photos. You could budget 10K for camera gear, but without you having the knowledge, your photos will still look like 'snaps'.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice from Rick. I have both a Nikon full frame and an Olympus em10 mark ii and weight wise would go with the Olympus every time. 150 on an Olympus is like 300 on a full frame which would definitely be close enough. On the Nikon z50 it would be approx 225 again would be close enough for most animals in a safari park. I find the little Olympus a great little camera but would advise whichever you buy make sure you get out there and practise, practise, practise. It's important you become familiar with your camera and how to use it.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I'd lean towards the Olympus, the first question would be, do you currently have Nikon DSLR gear?

If you currently have some Nikon lenses, if you get the Z50, you could always purchase the Z mount adapter to use your current glass on the new Nikon.

Otherwise, definitely the Olympus system, fantastic weight (or lack thereof) and good quality.

With your budget, perhaps;

Olympus E-M10 MkIII
    Olympus M.Zuiko 14-150
    Olympus M.Zuiko 75-300 (AF is a little on the slower side in dull light, but shouldn't be too much of a problem on Safari)

Looking around $1,900 for everything, leaving enough to get a spare battery
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi sounds like a good plan though remember its not the camera its the person pressing that shutter button that makes that picture.
    And as mentioned above get out there and practise as often as you can before going especially fast shutter speeds as you may need them.
    Does not matter if it is the bottom of the range camera or the top one, mind you I feel the better quality lenses are a great help too.
    I have been shooting Olympus for 5-6 years now and have the cheaper 40-150mm lens not the pro, so cannot comment on that if its the Pro lens you are after.
    Also got the cheaper 70-300mm bought both to try out the system before getting into the Pro lenses, though I did buy the 12-40mm pro lens first off.

I do not have the EM 10 I use the EM-1 and the E-M1 MK11 though Members here do and will be able to Help with that.
    Also look at Olympus 12-200mm lens you would only need one lens then. I know nothing about that lens so cannot give you any help there.
    Panasonic m4/3 Lenses they can be used on Olympus m4/3 cameras and some Sigma lenses

Always check out the Reviews and have a good read of the lenses you may wish to buy.
    And if you do want to buy New Gear look at every camera store and on line find the cheapest then phone Teds Camera Store and ask if they PRICE MATCH.
    They do, on all the DSLR Gear I have bought there as I have saved quite a bit on that last big Sigma lens I bought and the Canon 80D, Hope this Helps

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weighed my gear for my upcoming trip to Sri Lanka in March, so thought I'd share here in case it was useful.

P1010278_resized.jpg

Total weight including the Tenba bag is 3.2kg.

Olympus E-M1 (original) with grip
    Olympus 12-40 Pro
    Panasonic Leica 100-400
    4 spare batteries and USB charger
    SDs
    Meike Speedlight and spare batteries

Mary Anne has some great advice on price matching, surprising how much a simple phone call (or email) can save.

Another suggestion is to check out Ted's used gear section.

I recently purchased my Olympus 12-40 Pro via their second-hand page and saved around $250 compared to new.

Standard Disclaimer, not affiliated with Ted's Cameras, etc.
    Last edited by Bensch; 03-02-2020 at 10:56pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post

Standard Disclaimer, not affiliated with Ted's Cameras, etc.
    No need to put a disclaimer. Members who are active and have over 30 days membership and 50 posts are free to post about stores/sites etc when it is relevant to the discussion.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been recommended the Sony RX10 as a good beginners camera. Any thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters88 View Post
    I have been recommended the Sony RX10 as a good beginners camera. Any thoughts on this?
    Again it is simply about brand choice. Every camera from $100.00 to $50,000.00 can be used by a beginner - with training -

I would be interested to know who thought it was a 'beginner' camera, and recommended it? Because no matter what camera you get, without you learning the basics of photography (which apply to all cameras) you will likely be disappointed in the results. Photography is at least 80% the photographer and 20% the gear.

Whether you choose Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus or another brand, the camera works very similarly across all the brands. You need a camera body, lens, and understanding of composition, ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture and more to take great photos of anything. Safari's included.

There is nothing about the Sony RX10 that makes it a beginner camera (there is not such thing).

If you get bogged down in 'what gear' for weeks, you are losing valuable time learning how to take photos with the camera you choose. You need to make up your mind fast, get the camera and start learning as much as you can about how cameras (all cameras) work and how to get great photos.

Honesty, you cannot got wrong with a camera from any of the major brands. Choose an appropriate lens and you have the kit you need. What you really need between now and when the Safari happens, is practice...lots of it, if you want to get photos that look like those you admire when you look at safari brochures etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice from Rick. I would also recommend taking a basic photography course. I learned more from a one evening "Dusk Photography" course than I had in a year of fooling around with the camera. Best $100 I ever spent.
    Andrew

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About that camera, I also would not bother worrying about descriptions like "beginner's camera".
    It may well suit a beginner but that's irrelevant. Read up about it, and if it seems to suit your
    needs, then get it. Learn to use it, and in the process, learn about photography (a wide field).
    You may eventually find that it no longer suits your needs, and by then you'll have a better
    grasp on things.

Meanwhile, read some reviews about it. I usually check out DPR, as they run a fairly standard
    set of tests on cameras, and they give a pretty full listing of the specifications. Some people
    find that their reviews aren't all that good, but they are a starting point. Here's the DPR link for
    that camera...
    https://www.dpreview.com/products/so...sony_dscrx10iv

but even do a search on "Sony RX10 reviews" and read a few others.

I'm generally of the view that you would not be making a huge mistake by getting it.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-02-2020 at 8:28pm. Reason: The usual typos...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question before answering your question. Do you actually have an interest in photography or do you simply want to be able to grab some holiday snaps and record some memories?