Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: Just some feedback, please : competitions

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just some feedback, please : competitions

Hi all,

Now that we are getting into the swing of things for 2020. A couple of questions regarding the Photo of the Week.

Do you like the balance of open/themed?
    Do you like the balance of levels used / not used?

You can see the themes for the year here, and whether your experience level is used or not.

The next bit is related to the competition announcements. We changed the format of both the start of the competition and winners' announcement threads. Whilst most of this was cosmetic (how it looked), we did change the layout slightly as well.

A 2019 competition starting announcement is here
    A 2020 competition starting announcement is here

We relocated the relevant time-frames for the competition higher up in the announcement. Gave each date/time their own separate line and refreshed the colours etc.

Do you like the new formatting, or do you prefer the 2019 formatting? Anything else we could do better in relation to the competition starting announcement?

And lastly, we changed the winners announcement thread. We relocated the links to the voting to under each level winners photo. Along with some cosmetic changes to the formatting of the announcement thread.

A 2019 winners announcement thread is here
    A 2020 winners announcement thread is here

Do you like having the link to the voting polls under each winner's photo, or did you prefer it down the bottom as it used to be?

Any other comments about the announcements or the photo of the week competitions, in general, please feel free to add.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By and large I think you've got the competitions working well. If I had one criticism it would be that dividing one competition into 3 levels can sometimes lead to a contest between very few entries. (Disclaimer: I've never been an enthusiast for the levels anyway.)

As for the slight aesthetic change to the announcements, I'd never have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the very uninteresting reply, but;

Do you like the balance of open/themed?
    - Yep. Looks good to me.

Do you like the balance of levels used / not used?
    - I do. Just wished there were more participants in Beginner/Intermediate.

Do you like the new formatting, or do you prefer the 2019 formatting? Anything else we could do better in relation to the competition starting announcement?
    - Didn't mind the old format, and the new is good too. Always nice to spruce things up a bit, I guess.

Do you like having the link to the voting polls under each winner's photo, or did you prefer it down the bottom as it used to be?
    - Didn't mind the old format, and the new is good too. Always nice to spruce things up a bit, I guess.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they are more equal now.

Like Geoff above, Just want more Intermediate Members to have a go at the comps.

I don't mind either, they both look good to me, though I did notice.

As above.

I shoot with Canon and Olympus Cameras.. And My iPhone SE 2020
    And sometimes a Little Old Panasonic DMC-TZ7

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally, I'm front and centre when it comes to offering my opinions but unfortunately I'm one of those photographers who doesn't really enter competitions. Great idea seeking feedback though, and I can only put the limited responses down to the fact that most people are probably happy. A contented crowd is a good crowd.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Regular Floribunda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All looks OK to me Rick - nice choice of Open and Themed, although I prefer Themed as it makes me think a little more.
    More Intermediate participation would be nice but I cannot offer how to achieve this.
    Minor comment is I wish the banners for the winners appeared a little quicker, but appreciate you are busy people at Head Office.
    Cheers Lyn.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and various lenses.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
    All looks OK to me Rick - nice choice of Open and Themed, although I prefer Themed as it makes me think a little more.
    More Intermediate participation would be nice but I cannot offer how to achieve this.
    Minor comment is I wish the banners for the winners appeared a little quicker, but appreciate you are busy people at Head Office.
    that would be me. Sometimes I am really busy with other commitments. Working full time and studying takes its toll. This year I am doing two advanced diploma's concurrently. So often I end up doing a 'catch-up' every 2-3 months. I will try and be more pro-active with this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    that would be me. Sometimes I am really busy with other commitments. Working full time and studying takes its toll. This year I am doing two advanced diploma's concurrently. So often I end up doing a 'catch-up' every 2-3 months. I will try and be more pro-active with this.
    Not to worry Rick - as I said - Minor Comment. You do a fabulous job, you and your cohorts.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    . Great idea seeking feedback though, and I can only put the limited responses down to the fact that most people are probably happy.
    Or limited response is due to the limited amount of people here that actually enter the comps??
    I think this is a bigger issue than how the comps are presented. And no I don't have a solution to how we get more people entering the comps. That's food for another thread maybe.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Or limited response is due to the limited amount of people here that actually enter the comps??
    I think this is a bigger issue than how the comps are presented. And no I don't have a solution to how we get more people entering the comps. That's food for another thread maybe.
    I think it is the reduction in activity in general on forums. The number of entrants is simply a reflection of the number of people actively using forums these days. The heydey of forums being the go to place to join in and learn from like-minded people, has passed. There was a time we were getting 10-15 new members a day. Now we generally get maybe 3-5 a week. If people are no longer seeking out forums as a source of learning and joining in with people with similar interests, there is naturally a reduction in activity on forums. I don't see the competitions as being exempt from that.

If anyone has ideas of how we can encourage more competition participation, please feel free to add them to this thread.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a really stupid idea that’s kind of even a bit counterproductive, but also I’m sure it’d be no incentive at all. But anyway, why not put it out there.

The prospect of a weekly “prize” might draw a few more entries. And obviously we couldn’t and wouldn’t expect the forum operators to fork out an actual physical prize every week. So what’s one thing I see on the forum on a semi-regular basis? People displeased at their accounts becoming inactive after a certain time. So, the weekly prize could be an additional week/fortnight/month of time “credit” before your account becomes inactive and you need to renew it again?

I know, I know it’s stupid as it could just encourage people to be inactive knowing they’ve got more time to spare... if they win a weekly comp. But that could take a while with more entries? Maybe someone might want to save up for an upcoming holiday?

Like I said... just putting a stupid idea out there. Just struggling to think of any other cashless forum-based incentives that might be able to be offered without putting anyone out too much.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Geoff can proffer a stupid idea I will keep him company and put out another. (Actually this is my hubbies idea — so that covers me.
    This probably won’t fly as there will be reasons in the background that I am unaware of, but for consideration:
    Why not change things around and charge a Membership Fee!
    I can hear the intake of breaths, but I carry on.

I know this would reduce the membership, which is huge, but do we need the lurkers who contribute nothing anyway?
    It would stop the dissenters who complain about becoming inactive - you are either a member or you are not - end up with a core of supporters who do contribute to the site and are keen enough to part with their Membership Fee and with revenue coming in maybe afford a small weekly prize.
    I realise this may infringe on the advertising sponsors,so the bean counters would have to work that out, but in my life experience I have found that people appreciate something a lot more if they pay for it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't think that most amateur photographers are lured by prizes. I think ego is a far bigger incentive - we all like to win and be seen to be a winner!

Maybe if the names at the top of our messages had some sort of indicator which showed how many awards we'd won in addition to the standard "Ausphotography Regular" ? That would be a visual indicator of top competitors, and maybe something to encourage participation?

I gave up entering my local club comps because it all got a bit boring - now I only enter creative comps because that's a challenge with a difference. I like finding something unique and I'm better at compositing than taking straight photos.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have run prize comps in the past and still no one has entered the beginner comps. So I am not sure that is an incentive.

Charging a membership fee is possible (within the software) but it is not something i had ever said I would do. In fact the opposite, in that I have stated several times that the site should be free for everyone. There was even suggestion at one stage that we have a NSFW forum (nudes) that was hidden and only available by invitation, that was based on how each member interacted on the forums, and that this NSFW forum could have a membership fee (again possible within the software), but I did not want to get into an 'us' or 'them' situation on the site where some members could access something that others could not even know existed.

Thanks for the ideas so far though. keep them coming.

There is another option we could consider too. Say once a month we have a competition, where people can enter say up to 5 photos each, but you pay $5.00 per entry. Then whatever money is paid for your experience level, the winner gets the lot.

So say you had

20 advanced entries
    30 intermediate entries
    10 beginner entries

This equates to

$100 for the winner of the advanced comp
    $150 for the intermediate winner
    $50 for the beginner comp winner

I would have to work out a way for payments to occur and then match the payments up the entries, as there is no automated way to do this.

We could also do something like pay $5 per entry, $4 goes to prizes and $1 goes towards site running costs as the site no longer pays for itself. I contribute about $70-$80 a month to the cost of keeping it online. However this is my choice and if members wanted the entire entry pot paid back as prizes, I would do so.

This would take some logistical working out to achieve as the software cannot automatically do this.
    Last edited by ricktas; 04-02-2020 at 6:50pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ Rick I think if you offer the chance to win money via the comps we may see an increased involvement from people who are more interested in winning money than being involved AP members.
    However maybe now and then that $5 charge to enter a comp could be done on the basis that the winner of the comp chooses a charity or cause that the money could be donated to?
    "Enter this comp for a chance to raise money for a cause close to your heart." It would have to be widely advertised on AP to grab non-comps participants attention. (bulk email).
    I have no problem with $1 out of the $5 going to the running of AP.