User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: Do you think there's too much packaging ?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think there's too much packaging ?

Every year I get sent a pair of free batteries for my glucometer, which is very nice and excellent after sales service.

I do have to ponder whether their dispatch department could do with a lesson on "Envelopes ... very economical for small items."

It happens every year ....... here's the batteries, and beside them the box they mail them in. Maybe they got a bulk deal on boxes or something.

small_IMG_5119.jpg

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope they put some bubble-wrap in as well...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Hope they put some bubble-wrap in as well...
    Oh yeah ... plenty of padding to stop it rattling around. Of course an envelope might have required less padding!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, just about right. Like everything else nowadays/in this weather, it's just another lot of hot air!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's about the right size as well. You have to remember that these things are often sent by aeroplane and as Einstein stated an increase in speed results in an increase in mass. I don't think he said anything about increase in size as well, but these days you have to be very careful; if there's the remotest chance that the tiny batteries can increase in size when flying on a plane then a bigger box is a sensible precaution. If things do increase in size you'd think that the box would increase in size the faster it travels as well but better safe than sorry. Maybe cardboard behaves differently. I normally wear size 10 shoes but when I fly I wear size 58 shoes just in case my feet get larger and I begin to resemble a hobbit. Same principle.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realised that there may be another reason for the size of the box. Perhaps when they initially package the batteries in the box they are very large but over time, as they lose power, they shrink.
    Last edited by gcflora; 24-01-2020 at 7:36pm.
    Craig

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    I think it's about the right size as well. You have to remember that these things are often sent by aeroplane and as Einstein stated an increase in speed results in an increase in mass. I don't think he said anything about increase in size as well, but these days you have to be very careful; if there's the remotest chance that the tiny batteries can increase in size when flying on a plane then a bigger box is a sensible precaution. If things do increase in size you'd think that the box would increase in size the faster it travels as well but better safe than sorry. Maybe cardboard behaves differently. I normally wear size 10 shoes but when I fly I wear size 58 shoes just in case my feet get larger and I begin to resemble a hobbit. Same principle.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realised that there may be another reason for the size of the box. Perhaps when they initially package the batteries in the box they are very large but over time, as they lose power, they shrink.
    Some excellent theories there I must admit ...... I'm going to have to take these into consideration when next I fly! It's a worry because I weigh too much already!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that someone can see the logic in that
    Gear: Canon EOS R with a mix of Canon & Tamron lenses.
    I don't take photos because I am good at it, I take photos because I like to.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the way I received a large box from B&H in the USA had 2 memory cards in it. Plenty of room for Hot Air.
    Good on them pity more companies don't do the same thing.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief. Some of the over packaging nowadays is mind boggling but kudos for the after sales service of this particular company. My future daughter-in-law recently put me onto shampoo and conditioner which comes in a soap like bar. Weighs so much less than bottles of liquid product making it ideal for travelling. It comes from one of those green sites espousing natural ingredients etc. I was amazed when it arrived from such a site, how much IMO over packaging was involved.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big box isn't the problem. Not in itself. Yes, it could have been smaller, but the cardboard is readily recyclable. However, there are three other issues here:

1: The battery package itself uses non-recyclable plastic shrink wrap.
    2: The shrink wrap is attached to a (theoretically) recyclable cardboard backing in such a way that it is difficult to remove. Most people won't bother. This makes the cardboard just as non-recyclable as the plastic. (Also, the damn things are often very difficult to open if you don't have scissors or something handy.)
    3: The big box is sealed (so far as I can see) using plastic tape. Packing tape for paper-based boxes should also be paper based. Plastic tape on cardboard boxes pollutes the recycling stream and often results in the whole lot being sent to landfill. It is dreadfully wasteful. There are perfectly good, strong paper-based tapes available; manufacturers and warehouses should be required to use them.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Good grief. Some of the over packaging nowadays is mind boggling but kudos for the after sales service of this particular company. My future daughter-in-law recently put me onto shampoo and conditioner which comes in a soap like bar. Weighs so much less than bottles of liquid product making it ideal for travelling. It comes from one of those green sites espousing natural ingredients etc. I was amazed when it arrived from such a site, how much IMO over packaging was involved.
    Yes we've been using locally sourced hair soap and other things for a while. I'd suggest you won't find better produce for the price so I spread the word,..... https://feirmlee.com.au/
    Last edited by Mark L; 26-01-2020 at 10:02pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I can't get my head around is that it would cost $1 or so to send the batteries in a little envelope. Assuming these came from within Australia, these days it'd probably cost over $10 to send a box that large.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    The thing I can't get my head around is that it would cost $1 or so to send the batteries in a little envelope. Assuming these came from within Australia, these days it'd probably cost over $10 to send a box that large.
    Exactly. It's not as if they just ran out of envelopes - they did the same last time too. I really can't fathom the logic.

Ausphotography Regular John Humpo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh just a tiny bit over the top you would think, really I think are they thinking at all you would think not, I know I have a lot of thinks in here but gee I don't get it either!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fer years back, a tech company sent us a licence key...

... Printed on a sheet of A4 paper...
    ... In an a4 sized cardboard box about an inch deep...
    ... Inside a much larger cardboard box with those large bags full of air to take up the excess space...

... And a uni student working for us as an intern had answered a questionnaire regarding some of our hardware and our license keys in such a way that the tech company sent us this package combo for each of the 6 servers that needed the license key.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."