User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Camera RAW 7.0 - all my camera profiles have been wiped

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera RAW 7.0 - all my camera profiles have been wiped

Bit baffled about this but I logged onto my laptop this evening, as usual, and noticed all my passwords on every site I frequent, including this one, had all be wiped and I have to re-enter them all. None of them are remembered or anything. Gotta start from scratch everywhere. Hopefully there's not too many I need to reset. Anyway, I mention this because I wonder if the two events are somehow linked.

I then went to process some photos (I might finally have finished PP on my Vietnam ones!) and when I went to my first step in ACR after opening photos, I noticed that in the Lens Corrections tab, all my Camera Profiles have been wiped out. When I go to select the camera profile to use in order to perform the basic corrections on my shots, there is no list. It just says "none" and all the lenses I had in ACR are all gone. And famously, there are similar questions on the interweb about this, but no answers from Adobe or anyone else.

Anyone have any idea in the world how I can restore all the Lens Profiles I had in ACR, just as recently as this morning, or a few days ago (been a few days since I've used that feature).

Thanks in advance!

And for the record, I haven't cleared out any caches at all recently (I do moderately frequently, careful to avoid anything to do with passwords or ACR). This is all completely out of the blue in this instance.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a nasty and unwelcome surprise.

At face value, it looks like some "update" process has cleaned out your Cookies for website log-ons which seems strange as normally, I have to run a clean up in each Browser or run CCleaner to clear all Cookies. Check that your Browser hasn't somehow been set to clean cookies on exit.

I don't use ACR but if I remember, I used to check a tick box to use Profile Corrections but I thought these were for lenses rather than Cameras?

Looks like something may have been through your PC and cleaned out various Caches?

Hopefully it is easy to download the Profiles, or are they customised by you?

Good luck.

Dennis
    Dennis

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Just some oblique info...

Geoff. I have no specific knowledge of "A"CR, but Adobe's Photoshop has some settings and configuration files
    in its arsenal where lots of settings are kept. But then, how much of ACR is cloud-based and how much is on
    your computer?

Occasionally, all my Pshop settings go west and the defaults are restored. I then simply copy a couple of the
    settings files back from another location into the appropriate folder for Pshop to find and all is restored.

I suspect that if you have not saved those equivalent files out then you'll have to re-do everything first.

The files for my version of Photoshop are called Adobe "Photoshop CS2 Prefs.psp" and "Color Settings.csf".

Now for some hypocrisy about passwords. (That is a separate but related issue, isn't it?)
    Do you use a password manager, or do you let your browser "remember" your passwords? Search on how
    you can find the key file. - But I don't know what you can do there just because of my hypocrisy, which is:
    I never use password managers nor do I let the browsers store them
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Wow, what a nasty and unwelcome surprise.

At face value, it looks like some "update" process has cleaned out your Cookies for website log-ons which seems strange as normally, I have to run a clean up in each Browser or run CCleaner to clear all Cookies. Check that your Browser hasn't somehow been set to clean cookies on exit.

I don't use ACR but if I remember, I used to check a tick box to use Profile Corrections but I thought these were for lenses rather than Cameras?

Looks like something may have been through your PC and cleaned out various Caches?

Hopefully it is easy to download the Profiles, or are they customised by you?

Good luck.

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis. Yeah, sorry, I poorly worded some of that. It is the lens I do that is missing and yes it was all auto. Nothing customised by me. I’ll have to look into somehow restoring the profiles... just have no idea how to.

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    - Just some oblique info...

Geoff. I have no specific knowledge of "A"CR, but Adobe's Photoshop has some settings and configuration files
    in its arsenal where lots of settings are kept. But then, how much of ACR is cloud-based and how much is on
    your computer?

Occasionally, all my Pshop settings go west and the defaults are restored. I then simply copy a couple of the
    settings files back from another location into the appropriate folder for Pshop to find and all is restored.

I suspect that if you have not saved those equivalent files out then you'll have to re-do everything first.

The files for my version of Photoshop are called Adobe "Photoshop CS2 Prefs.psp" and "Color Settings.csf".

Now for some hypocrisy about passwords. (That is a separate but related issue, isn't it?)
    Do you use a password manager, or do you let your browser "remember" your passwords? Search on how
    you can find the key file. - But I don't know what you can do there just because of my hypocrisy, which is:
    I never use password managers nor do I let the browsers store them
    Thanks Am. I’ll check those files out. I don’t have anything on the cloud, so assume it’s all on my laptop. I’ve never saved any files though so that could be an issue. I’m not very confident at all in playing around with program files and stuff, so I’ll see how I go.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff, at least for PS, even deleting those files from their usual locations will cause PS to
    regenerate them with default settings. For Win 10 (and CS2) the location of both files is:
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings\

Here "User" is whatever username you have set on the computer, which I've left default.

---Oh, PS!!! They are updated on each closure of PS, so the same
    may hold for other Adobe products. I have noted that when I shut down the computer and
    get to the stage of closing PS first, there is a brief black bar at the top of the PS screen.
    You have to wait (half a second or so) for this to disappear, it seems, before writing of
    these files is finished. Sometimes after my hasty previous closes of PS, I have found the
    nuisance default settings applied on reopening PS.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 24-01-2020 at 11:07am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Geoff

I don't use ACR but when I launched it and selected the Lens Corrections Tab and ticked the Enable Profile Corrections Box, the lens profile for my 100-400 appeared.

I'm not sure if it was read in from another Adobe Product (PS CC, LR, Bridge) so I don't know where it came from.

I could not find a Function in ACR to download a list of e.g. Canon Lenses to then select those that I use?

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Geoff, at least for PS, even deleting those files from their usual locations will cause PS to
    regenerate them with default settings. For Win 10 (and CS2) the location of both files is:
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings\

Here "User" is whatever username you have set on the computer, which I've left default.

---Oh, PS!!! They are updated on each closure of PS, so the same
    may hold for other Adobe products. I have noted that when I shut down the computer and
    get to the stage of closing PS first, there is a brief black bar at the top of the PS screen.
    You have to wait (half a second or so) for this to disappear, it seems, before writing of
    these files is finished. Sometimes after my hasty previous closes of PS, I have found the
    nuisance default settings applied on reopening PS.
    On my computer (windows 10) Photoshop settings and ACR settings are in different places. ACR settings are in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw

Personally I'd be checking the system drive for errors (google CHKDSK) and also the S.M.A.R.T details for drive health (https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ works well, I find, for that bit... free as well)
    Last edited by gcflora; 24-01-2020 at 1:52pm.
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to try reinstalling Photoshop (assuming you have Photoshop CC). I lost some settings but they reappeared after I reinstalled the program.

That, or try turning your computer off and on again.
    Last edited by Hawthy; 24-01-2020 at 6:14pm.
    Andrew

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions chaps, but I pulled the pin on this. Frustrating as it is, I think from here on in it's life without lens correction. I don't know where all the original stuff is and if I'm being honest, I don't really want to re-install anything due to the plug-in thingy's I currently have and risk losing some or all of them. I'm just not that good at keeping everything orderly and kept all in a nice single spot... like I should have done.

But outside this thread, I've searched for any other possible options, and can't find anything. The action that seems to get most success is a re-install, but I'm not game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i didn't have to reinstall any of the plug-ins. They are in separate files to Photoshop. Maybe try just updating it via Creative Cloud Desktop as a first step.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    i didn't have to reinstall any of the plug-ins. They are in separate files to Photoshop. Maybe try just updating it via Creative Cloud Desktop as a first step.
    Haha, I'm such a gump I don't even know what that is. I assume that's something extra I might have had to do further than just a basic set up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using Adobe CC? The subscription to photoshop? If so, you should have a red desktop icon called Adobe Creative Cloud and you can update from there. If you're using an old version of photoshop I don't think that I can help.

On the upside, a subscription to Photoshop CC is only something like $14.99 a month (I think that's it but I may be incorrect). You do need to commit to at least a 12-month contract so about $180 per year.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    Are you using Adobe CC? The subscription to photoshop? If so, you should have a red desktop icon called Adobe Creative Cloud and you can update from there. If you're using an old version of photoshop I don't think that I can help.

On the upside, a subscription to Photoshop CC is only something like $14.99 a month (I think that's it but I may be incorrect). You do need to commit to at least a 12-month contract so about $180 per year.
    Nah, still on CS6. I keep hoping the profiles will randomly re-appear, but they don't and it makes me sad.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^After you reinstall them, look for their files and copy them elsewhere so you can reinstate them in any future such furore