User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: When rumours become damaging - It is time to hold the photo industry media accountable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation When rumours become damaging - It is time to hold the photo industry media accountable!

A live chat by Joe Edelman - It is time to hold the photo industry media accountable! Joe is an Olympus Visionary but his comments cover all brands that can be affected.

This was in response to some rumours going around about Olympus & their Imaging Division & the wanton spread of potentially damaging rumours on some youtube channels & blogs & the spread into forums etc..

This isn't just about one brand but how it affects all brands & all buyers & users of photographic gear.

It is well worth watching & considering. The first 25 minutes is covering the subject while the rest is Q&A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1R9...rUfjGc1iLDbHGM

As seen on facebook.
    Joe Edelman.JPG
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 23-11-2019 at 1:17am.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am SOOooo DISAPPOINTED at his spelling
    ---And WHOOooo wouldn't be? (Just practising alternative orthography)

Apart from that, he takes AGES to say what he's feeling so sorry about.
    It was a sure case of TL;DWorL for me, but skipped through it. One thing
    I got out of the 10 or so minutes of his diatribe is that he thinks that there
    are a lot of [names] in the world (including "cyber"-world), but that's not new.

Anyway, so what about Olympus? - They're not gunna*, so that's it

But, ta for posting.

* Which I got from reading his posted text comment.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree with his statement that there is a problem about the lack of fact checking, and this is true for all types of news media, probably more so on social media.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gossip seems to make the world go round as far as the media are concerned.

Look at Rebel Wilson and Geoffrey Rush's court cases, along with the Wagner family from Toowoomba. 'Mainstream' media thrive on this..sadly.

I would guess they include in their budgets an amount each year to cover if they get sued. They look at income generated and if they can make more money off a story, than they estimate it will cost them if it went to court, they go ahead anyway.

Advertisers also notice that these 'drama filled' reports around gossip are the ones that people talk about, and thus they advertise where it gets the most notice. Watch or read any 'developing' story and see how the ads change that surround it, after its initial outing to the public.

I am loathe to believe much these days. I always ask myself 'what are the omitting?'.

Take the elderly vietnamese-australian man recently convicted in vietnam, who's family have been imploring our government to act to get him home. Back in January when this was first reported, it included that he had flown to Cambodia under his Australian passport. He then entered Vietnam with a fake passport and papers, was caught donating money to an organisation registered as a 'terrorist organisation' and was found in company of members of this organisation. However, within about 2 weeks all this was scrubbed from media reports. And now there is zero mention of any of this in the media who are interviewing his family here in Sydney and reporting on their requests to our PM, etc. The media is portraying him as an older gentleman who has never done anything wrong, with photos of sad faced family members. Manipulation at its finest.

It is not just manufactures like Olympus etc that are dealing with this, it has become part of our every-day, and that is sad, frustrating and dangerous.
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-11-2019 at 8:55am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    . . . there is a problem about the lack of fact checking, and this is true for all types of news media, probably more so on social media.
    One big issue is, that people generally do not understand, or are simply not aware, and think that the Rules of Publishing and the Laws associated with same, don't apply to what they Publish on Social Media; secondly when taken to task (and it has happened) rarely does that story ever get a run in the main stream Media, hence the masses remain cocooned, feeling safe in their ignorance, publishing all sorts of stuff, on Social Media.

One day someone with knowledge, attitude and the wherewithal, will take very serious action, and it will be reported in the main stream: (sadly) though, the offender who is hung out to dry, likely will not deserve the consequences of their action.

WW

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, William, your missive contains the hidden truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    One big issue is... people ... publishing all sorts of stuff, on Social Media....
    Agreed! - Like what they had for breakfast, or worse: what their dog had

There's just no accounting for this sort of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    One day someone with knowledge, attitude and the wherewithal, will take very serious action, and ... the offender ... will ... deserve the consequences of their action...
    Like, made to do the washing up!

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We remember bad news for our survival and for many people that have read these stories about Olympus it will take 2-3 years now for this memory to fade.
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 23-11-2019 at 12:32pm.