Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Nikon batteries, specifically the EN-EL15/a/b

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon batteries, specifically the EN-EL15/a/b

Looking for a second EN-EL15 type battery for my gripped D810 and D600.

Bought a 'Genuine' Nikon EN-EL15a from overseas (China/Hongkong) and it was a dud. Wouldn't hold a charge, and the activity light on the charger was flashing at a crazy rate.

On checking with the Nikon website it appeared to be a genuine item so maybe it wasn't a forgery, just a bad unit. Anyway the seller, to their credit, issued an immediate refund and didn't require the faulty battery to be returned.

I've tried another offshore seller and will see how that turns out but not overly hopeful.

I've also ordered a HAHNEL EXTREME LI-ION BATTERY EL-EN15HP from DCXPERT (CRK's retail arm) @ $47.40 so fingers crossed that it is good as stated. I'll report back when said items arrive and have been tested.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is only a personal quirk of mine but, as a matter of principle I don't buy from overseas or online shops if I can possibly avoid it. As a former owner of a small manufacturing and retailing business I prefer to support my local shops, mainly because help is close by if anything goes wrong and, with knowledgeable brains to pick, I am less likely to make a bad choice.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin B View Post
    This is only a personal quirk of mine but, as a matter of principle I don't buy from overseas or online shops if I can possibly avoid it. As a former owner of a small manufacturing and retailing business I prefer to support my local shops, mainly because help is close by if anything goes wrong and, with knowledgeable brains to pick, I am less likely to make a bad choice.
    Well good for you ColinB.

Isn't democracy a wonderful thing, with freedom of choice, thought, and speech.

Pal, I take severe umbrage at your post. You have no idea who I am, my circumstances, or my buying habits.

If you wish to make a point about buying habits, start your own thread, and don't blunder into mine like an ill informed ####.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Bought a 'Genuine' Nikon EN-EL15a from overseas (China/Hongkong) and it was a dud. Wouldn't hold a charge, and the activity light on the charger was flashing at a crazy rate.

Not surprised, and would be surprised if a dud battery would be the aftermarket type. Nikon have had issues with these batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin B View Post
    This is only a personal quirk of mine but, as a matter of principle I don't buy from overseas or online shops if I can possibly avoid it. ....
    I often advise that this is both a good attitude but also limited attitude to have.
    I agree that it's a good idea to be mindful of supporting the local shops for many reasons. And be mindful to avoid the 'superpowers' of the retail world(eg. Amazon) .. if their business model works, and they do become the 'BuyNLarge' of the world, then watch out!

But at the same time, this philosophy doesn't preclude being caught out from coming unstuck.
    When I got my D800E, within a few months the battery(that came with it) started playing up. Was showing that it only had 0 life left in it, and wouldn't hold a good charge.
    back to the store(local) .. they worked out my camera came under the service advisory for dud batteries from Nikon. Battery replaced immediately.
    Awesome!
    In a couple of months, this replacement battery then stated to show the same symptoms. Shows 0 life left in it. Holds OK charge, and really can't be bothered to go back to store to get it replaced, mainly for fear of the same pattern occurring again.

Don't know about other manufacturers but Nikon have this battery indicator system shows both charge and how much life left in the battery in terms of how much more charge cycles it will support.
    Seriously, it was just easier to buy a battery off the net for $20 odd bucks and have a spare anyhow.
    This aftermarket battery works perfectly. This was now about 5-6 years ago. Nikon battery has issues, aftermarket battery is flawless!

Note too, this is all Nikon's doing in that they have some electropokery/programming garbage to stop folks from using aftermarket batteries. The battery needs a chip for it to work.
    So it turns out that Nikon themselves can't sort out this 'chip' in their own battery as well as the aftermarket manufacturers do!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an inexpensive copy of the en-el15 at Teds 5 years ago; it lasted 4 years. All my actual Nikon batteries have performed flawlessly as long as I've had them, which is up to 10 years. The en-el15 I got with my D800 in 2012 still seems as good as new, though I probably wouldn't notice a slight reduction in how long it lasts between charges.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kev
    i find the same thing with canon batteries, all a bit hit and miss on the ones i have added to the collection
    cheers macca

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

.......Don't know about other manufacturers but Nikon have this battery indicator system shows both charge and how much life left in the battery in terms of how much more charge cycles it will support.
    Seriously, it was just easier to buy a battery off the net for $20 odd bucks and have a spare anyhow.
    This aftermarket battery works perfectly. This was now about 5-6 years ago. Nikon battery has issues, aftermarket battery is flawless!

Note too, this is all Nikon's doing in that they have some electropokery/programming garbage to stop folks from using aftermarket batteries. The battery needs a chip for it to work.
    So it turns out that Nikon themselves can't sort out this 'chip' in their own battery as well as the aftermarket manufacturers do!
    Artie, as you know Nikon have had ongoing problems with this battery for many years and still don't appear to have sorted it.

The Hahnel batteries arrived overnight from Melbourne today, are charged, installed, and being recognised by the camera. Be interesting to see how they compare with the ones that came with the cameras. Will keep you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I bought an inexpensive copy of the en-el15 at Teds 5 years ago; it lasted 4 years. All my actual Nikon batteries have performed flawlessly as long as I've had them, which is up to 10 years. The en-el15 I got with my D800 in 2012 still seems as good as new, though I probably wouldn't notice a slight reduction in how long it lasts between charges.
    Cheers Jim

I'll be monitoring the performance of the Hahnels and as said above, will post my findings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by macmich View Post
    Kev
    i find the same thing with canon batteries, all a bit hit and miss on the ones i have added to the collection
    cheers macca
    Macca, I have trouble getting my head around how much is being asked for the 'genuine' batteries. It doesn't seem at all reasonable for a tiny little battery. Hope the Hahnels aim up.

Cheers

Kev
    Last edited by Cage; 22-11-2019 at 10:00pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kev
    My miops battery died last week as i accidently charged it on power instead of usb, they wangted thirty five dollars for a miops branded battery and said that no other batteries should be used. i went to jaycar and puchased two for twenty dollars and they were the exact batterie and specs
    cheers macca

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used aftermarket batteries in my cameras, simply because I have a limited budget. All of them have worked as well as or better than the original genuine batteries. The last ones I purchased for the Canon 50D about four years ago have been amazing. Even though rated with the same specifications as the genuine Canon one, the number of photos taken per charge are way, way over the genuine battery. They are still going strong.