User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: Olympus confirms production has ceased in China and to continue in Vietnam

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olympus confirms production has ceased in China and to continue in Vietnam

Interesting official Olympus announcement with a budget provided seems the camera operation is barely viable in China and has ceased though the factory in Vietnam will continue to operate.
    Gather robots are being used more in new factories with wages rising and sort of makes sense with Olympus reducing the number of camera options available now.
    I notice any Pen F cameras for sale seem to go very quickly some feel this camera may be a future collectors item with production of the Pen F ceasing.
    Not sure how long the electrics would last going on older Nikon cameras light meters eventually needing repair for instance.

Link to announcement
    https://www.olympus-global.com/ir/da...ts/ir00003.pdf
    cheers Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this transfer to Vietnam happened last year and was touted as the reason for delay in announcing new cameras such as 5iii.
    The past week has seen a whole new set of rumours and denials regarding the imminent demise of Oly's camera division. I hope they're not true
    Last edited by Burma; 19-11-2019 at 11:09am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ross I concur, possibly some white anting by the opposition companies, lets hope Olympus can keep making cameras profitably.
    Perhaps the cameras may be more of a marketing tool presumably for their high earning scientific side of the business in future by creating a worldwide loyal customer base.

cheers Nick
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 19-11-2019 at 5:52pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There does seem to be some that like to paint the Olympus Imaging Division as doomed but they seem to have an agenda to do so though, however time will tell what does happen there. I think my spending on anything more is going to be on hold for sometime regardless of any business happenings at Olympus anyhow (although I would still love the 300 f4 lens), but glad to have added the MC20 & 7-14 f2.8 lens to my kit this year.
    I forgot, I got the 45mm f1.8 lens at a bargain price this year too.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 20-11-2019 at 11:45pm.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems you have a great set of Olympus lenses there Ross and imagine they are fully compatible with the Panasonic system.
    Let's hope with Sony as a major shareholder in Olympus the company can survive and grow.
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 21-11-2019 at 10:57am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    Seems you have a great set of Olympus lenses there Ross and imagine they are fully compatible with the Panasonic system.
    Let's hope with Sony as a major shareholder in Olympus the company can survive and grow.
    Yeah, I think I've done pretty good thanks, but as in human nature, I can't hide that small desire of 'wanting more'.
    I hate doing this (putting out more discussion on the subject), but photofocus by Bryan Esler has this blog(?) entry. "Olympus addresses rumors of sale". I take comfort in it.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 21-11-2019 at 11:17am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting that is good to know Ross and hope you get to have and to hold that dream 300mm lens one day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    Thanks for posting that is good to know Ross and hope you get to have and to hold that dream 300mm lens one day
    I have had a chance to play with one a couple of times, which just gave me GAS (gear acquisition syndrome),
    The first was a 'hands on' with the E-M1X in at Olympus in Macquarie Park (NSW) & later in Penrith Camera House with the Olympus rep for another 'hands on' where I put the lens on my E-M1 II. It would be even better now with the last FW update. Ho hum. Maybe in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly have a problem with GAS! I just picked up a 25 1.8 and a 45 1.8 for so little I couldn't refuse. Makes me realise the importance of Olympus virtually alone in this segment of the camera market — so much camera, so little bulk and weight. I really wouldn't want to go back to big DSLRs.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand the sentiment, have you seen the Nikon 200-500mm lens it looks like an anti tank weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://petapixel.com/2019/11/23/oly...mera-business/

olympus seem very keen to scotch any future rumours about their future - latest release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The doom & gloom speculation & rumours gets a little tiring after awhile. Panasonic is selling their share in the sensor manufacturing (TowerJazz) to cut down on losses, but Olympus's lens road map has my interest with the 100-400mm f5.0-6.3 IS lens. https://www.olympus.com.au/Learn-Exp...ture-Is-Bright

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burma interesting announcement does look like Olympus is in for the long haul with their camera division.

- - - Updated - - -

Ross the Olympus 100-400mm lens does look very appealing lens especially if it can match the Panasonic lens at a reasonable price point.

cheers Nick

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting report for camera sales looking like Nikon may have entered the mirror less camera market later than would have been ideal with Sony #2 now in camera sales in 2019.
    Sony have a large share holding in Olympus cameras too I understand.
    https://petapixel.com/2019/11/30/son...on-falls-to-3/
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 26-12-2019 at 2:31pm.