User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Anyone use a curved monitor for PP?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone use a curved monitor for PP?

I am intending to buy a new monitor for all the uses I generally put my computer to.
    This will include gaming, wordpress and forum maintenance, internet page stuff, MS office, etc.

It will also involve occasional video editing and photoshop editing (the latter for this forum mainly not professionally)

I have been seriously considering a 32-24 inch 'Ultra-wide' curved screen but I'm wondering if anyone else uses (or hws tried to use) a curved monitor for photo / video editing?

I get conflicting information on general computer forums, but figured this would be a better place to ask.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 32 inch Curved monitor. It's a good monitor but I honestly don't think it has any great advantage over a flat monitor but it looks cool.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And no issues using it for PP?

What would people see as the essential pre-requisites for a computer monitor that is to be used partly for video and photo pp ?

IPS or VA ?
    Resolution? 4K ?

(Framerate and refresh rate don't really come into it here other than for gaming,)
    Last edited by landyvlad; 12-11-2019 at 1:06pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @enseth

Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    And no issues using it for PP?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get too hung up on the tech terminology.
    I'd suggest have a quick peek at tftcentral, check their reviews and just choose based on their findings.
    Alternatively, find monitors you think you like, google the hell out of them for reviews, not user based ratings! .. proper reviews(like tftcentral).

If you check out tftcentral, they have a couple of important sections of the reviews to watch for.
    They do the gaming tests(that you'd probably be interested in .. I'm not), but also have their calibration testing results, first is the native calibration report, then a test done after a calibration.
    Note tho, that if you purchase based solely on calibration(ie. mainly colour/tone accuracy for PPing), their results may be different to yours if you get the same model, but use a different calibration device.

Dunno what budget you have in mind, but just having looked at their review of the ASUS PG35VQ model , it don't look too bad(it SHOULD be too, considering the staggering price tho! ).
    I was searching a few months back for son's new desktop build. In the end budget only allows for a smaller screen for him anyhow.
    More sanely priced alternative would be the LG 34GK950F. Calibrates really well too.

but in terms of IPS/VA/PLS .. each manufacturer makes their own due to their own reasoning .. don't get hung up on it .. in the end it's meaningless.

Note, I haven't used a curved screen myself .... only seen them as display models at stores. So can't help with a long term user opinion of them. I'd suggest they work well.
    I mainly use my PC for multiple applications at any given time(editing/mapping/office stuff) ... not gaming.
    I have two screen, configured in a curved manner. Main 32" in front of me, and a smaller(very old) 24" just to my right angled so it's almost curved like. They're both set up on a single post dual screen stand.

Have used other single screen PCs and having this 'surround view' can be such an advantage. I can't see why a single large curved screen wouldn't equate to the same thing.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry landy. I only just saw your follow-up question. No, I have no problems at all PP with a curved screen. The curve isn't actually on these screens so I can'r see why it should create a huge issue but I'm no Tech head.