Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  56
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SITE OUTAGE - REPORT ISSUES HERE

Ausphotography Regular Floribunda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad you have it sorted. What a bother. Felt like one of the family had gone missing there for a while, but all good now.
    Thanks for all your hard work Kym and team.
    Cheers Lyn.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and various lenses.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can access "New Posts" from the web on my mobile but not on here yet, logged off & on it cleared the new post count to 0, then nothing.

34 Nov. 07.jpg
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filter View Post
    I can access "New Posts" from the web on my mobile but not on here yet, logged off & on it cleared the new post count to 0, then nothing.

34 Nov. 07.jpg
    We have been taking the site offline a bit the last couple of days as we fix things, this message may appear if you try to look at new posts while we have the site offline. Sometimes it is offline for less than a minute, other times it is a bit longer. We do this as we adjust site settings, make changes to the databases etc to get the site fully operational. There are still a few things that are not working fully, behind the scenes, that need action.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Kym, Rick and everyone else involved in the recovery.

We tend to take the smooth operation of this forum for granted until a glitch like this occurs.

A belated thanks also for all the work the team has been doing behind the scenes over the years

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filter View Post

34 Nov. 07.jpg
    If this is still happening, do a hard re-fresh of the new posts when it gets the error. On windows this is Ctrl + F5. It forces your browser to not use any cached versions of the page, and will force the browser to go back to our server and re-load everything.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big thanks and appreciation to all concerned in getting things back to normal. That sort of stuff is way beyond my understanding and I trust it was not overly enjoyable, so thanks for the efforts. Good to be back online.

One thing I have noticed, and it's not actually an issue for me - it actually fixes something I've been too lazy to update in the past. But I used to get quite a few email notifications from the site for post replies and thanks, PMs etc. I haven't got any PMs yet to test that, but I've noticed I no longer get the email notifications for posts/thanks etc. Again, it's not something I personally want fixed and maybe it's as simple as the specifics on my personal account being reset or something? Not sure... but just thought I'd mention it in case it's something worth looking into.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Big thanks and appreciation to all concerned in getting things back to normal. That sort of stuff is way beyond my understanding and I trust it was not overly enjoyable, so thanks for the efforts. Good to be back online.

One thing I have noticed, and it's not actually an issue for me - it actually fixes something I've been too lazy to update in the past. But I used to get quite a few email notifications from the site for post replies and thanks, PMs etc. I haven't got any PMs yet to test that, but I've noticed I no longer get the email notifications for posts/thanks etc. Again, it's not something I personally want fixed and maybe it's as simple as the specifics on my personal account being reset or something? Not sure... but just thought I'd mention it in case it's something worth looking into.
    I think the email system on the server needs some tweaking. I have had to go into the server itself and move a few emails from spam to get them to download to my AP email address. We are running newer versions of the server software and it appears they have stricter default settings. I will send you a PM now to see what happens re email notification

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post

Also, in here : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...do=editoptions : under Default thread subscription mode, you can change if you get PM notifications for events. If that is set to do not subscribe, you will only get notifications for things you specifically subscribe to.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Also, in here : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...do=editoptions : under Default thread subscription mode, you can change if you get PM notifications for events. If that is set to do not subscribe, you will only get notifications for things you specifically subscribe to.
    Thanks Rick. I did get your test PM notification... in my junk mail, which is a first. I should have mentioned previously that I'd received no other notifications, in Junk or otherwise. So that PM test was the first notification I got since the crash.

As per your post above, I checked my settings, and it is on 'do not subscribe' for standard notifications, so that explains why I'm not getting them for normal thread replies. I assume it was reset in the crash, and I'll leave it that way now.

But yeah, I un-junked your PM notification so I assume that'll be ok now.

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A strange thing I've found since the crash when viewing the forum from Tapatalk. When I select the top message in the "You" tab, it takes me to this thread about the site outage and not the post in the caption this thread. Everything else I've selected so far has been correct. It is just that 1st link that is wrong

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tandeejay; 07-11-2019 at 11:35pm.
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Former Username : Wetpixels Dazz1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I think the email system on the server needs some tweaking. I have had to go into the server itself and move a few emails from spam to get them to download to my AP email address. We are running newer versions of the server software and it appears they have stricter default settings. I will send you a PM now to see what happens re email notification

Well done getting it all back up.

Just wanted to say, I noticed email notifications aren't working for me either. I just monitor the subscribed threads view for now, but the emails are nice to have.
    80D, 600D, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: DPP4, Gimp, UFRaw, Rawtherapee, DigiKam, Hugin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz1 View Post
    Just wanted to say, I noticed email notifications aren't working for me either. I just monitor the subscribed threads view for now, but the emails are nice to have.
    I haven't always received notification of new posts in a thread I'm subscribed to, so I have also just kept a tab open with that thread and refreshed it from time to time.

Another thing I notice (which isn't new but confuses me) is that when I post a new thread it's obviously up and running because people respond to it - but when I click on "new posts" it doesn't seem to exist. Odd.

None of the above are greatly concerning .... just mild annoyances.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have done some tweaking of the email system. The new server has much more powerful spam filtering and the mail server is certainly killing off a lot of the spam I previously received via the site. However this also affects what the site is sending out to members. I hope my tweaks have helped. I may have to do more, in need.

Certainly, testing the email system works now, so hopefully your subscribed threads will start to work as well. If not, reply in this thread and I will investigate further.

*************************************************************************************************************************

You are receiving this email because your email address was entered as an email test at AusPhotography:: Australia's Premier Photography Forum::.

The first step of this email test script has been completed. However, a formatting test is still necessary:

A paragraph break.
    A single line break.

Another paragraph break.
    Another single line break.
    Another single line break.

If the above lines look correct, you are finished. The email features on your server are setup correctly.
    If this email is run together on one line, there is possibly a configuration error with your mail server. Please ensure it is configured correctly.
    Last edited by ricktas; 09-11-2019 at 3:17pm.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I haven't always received notification of new posts in a thread I'm subscribed to, so I have also just kept a tab open with that thread and refreshed it from time to time.

Another thing I notice (which isn't new but confuses me) is that when I post a new thread it's obviously up and running because people respond to it - but when I click on "new posts" it doesn't seem to exist. Odd.

None of the above are greatly concerning .... just mild annoyances.
    Threads will only show in new posts to you, if they have replies that you have not looked at. New Posts is a member based feature and uses your AP cookie, in your browser, to determine what you have seen and what you haven't. If it is playing up, do you logout of AP or close the screen down, and then come back logged in already? If you do not logout, but are seeing odd things, it could be a corruption of your AP cookie. Log out of the site, then log back in, that should fix it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty unacceptable. I've been visiting here for maybe 15 years and during that time I can remember only one other occasion when the site was down for more than a few hours. This latest catastrophe where the site was down for days and days and days (seemed like weeks!) was totally outrageous! Not what I paid for. Not acceptable!

Just kidding. I'm glad everything is sorted out and many thanks to Kym and Ricktas for their time and effort getting things back up and running.

On a side note, "new posts" was not working for me for several weeks before the site crashed. It started working again about 2 days before the crash (which I've termed the big site crash of 2019 and called it that in my diary). Since the site has been back up again "new posts" is still working. Related? Coincidence? Who knows?
    Craig

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig, when you click "new posts" & it goes to the nothing page Ctrl f5 does a reset, it worked for me. (Thanks Ricktas)

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having to log in every day at present. That has never been a problem before. The "Remember Me" check box is ticked. Do I just need to be patient and hope it is just tweeking after the crash? Glad you are there working behind the scenes.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fmax. Though it may well be a site issue, has anything changed on your browser recently?
    Check what happens to your browsing history when you close the browser. Is it set to delete?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    I'm having to log in every day at present. That has never been a problem before. The "Remember Me" check box is ticked. Do I just need to be patient and hope it is just tweeking after the crash? Glad you are there working behind the scenes.
    if the above is not working, then logout of the site, clear your cookies in your browser, restart the browser and log back into AP. All the stuff like remembering your username, passsword, what threads/posts you have viewed is stored in your cookie, not on the AP server. It sounds like there is something really wrong with your current cookie. So logging out, deleting cookies and logging back in should create you a brand new cookie. Once done, it will take a while to start populating it with what threads you have read etc (new cookie knows nothing), but within a day or so, it should resolve your issues.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, nothing has changed with my browser. Everything is OK with other sites which I'm logged into. AP is the only problem. I'll give clearing my cookies a go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12