User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Olympus OmD EM5 mkiii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olympus OmD EM5 mkiii

I will be in the market for a new camera fairly soon — my EM 1 — has taken a bit of a bashing over the years. Olympus have announced the EM 5 mk iii. It has the same sensor as the EM1 mk ii and many are calling it a mini version of that camera in terms of pic quality. Given the high price of the new 5 mk iii — probably around $1500 for the body — I suspect there will be deals to be had shortly on the EM1ii which might turn out to be a better proposition.
    Last edited by Burma; 22-10-2019 at 5:11pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what your post is about. Are you asking us if the MkII would be a better buy for you, or are you promoting the release of the MkIII?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no interest in promoting or spruiking anything. I was simply thinking aloud about what my next camera will be, and I suspect quite a few Olympus users will be thinking the same thing.
    Obviously I should have made it into a direct question rather than floating what I thought was a conversation starter for Olympus users.
    Apologies. Delete the post if you think it’s not appropriate.
    Last edited by Burma; 22-10-2019 at 8:10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is going for a 'pretty price' at $1999, but there are stores (& online) that are advertising it at $1899 with a bonus SD card. There was one chain of stores that had a recent 20% discount with some Olympus items over the weekend of Olympus's 100 Year Anniversary (12th Oct) & the E-M1 II went as low as $1689 (or there abouts). I didn't get another but I did get the 7-14 f2.8 lens with a lot off though.

Decisions, decisions. I would say the E-M5 III is something to consider if you like that smaller form & need USB charging but otherwise the E-M1 II is more capable with a couple more programmable Function buttons, a head phone jack, two SD card slots etc, plus it can take a battery grip. That is not being offered this time with the E-M5 III, only the grip with a shutter button which has to be removed each time a battery is to be changed.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, The new 5 is expensive. I saw that deal on the em1 ii last week and should have jumped on it. I also have a 5 ii with a 17 mm permanently attached but find the pro zooms are uncomfortable on a small body.
    it. I think I’ll squeeze a few more shots out of my old em1 and wait for the next round of discounting on 1ii, if there is one.
    Last edited by Burma; 23-10-2019 at 8:48am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burma View Post
    Yes, The new 5 is expensive. I saw that deal on the em1 ii last week and should have jumped on it. I also have a 5 ii with a 17 mm permanently attached but find the pro zooms are uncomfortable on a small body.
    it. I think I’ll squeeze a few more shots out of my old em1 and wait for the next round of discounting on 1ii, if there is one.
    There is a digi 10% discount at the moment on the E-M1 II.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it all depends what you are after in a body
    The EM5 is a smaller form factor, and for me that pushed me to the EM1-ii, I also love having a battery grip

It will be very interesting where they push the Em1 Mk III to when they get around to it
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I waited and waited for the EM5 MK111 then Hubby bought me the EM -1 MK11 for my Birthday this year at Camera House.
    It came with a free Battery Grip plus $200 off the price at the time, the camera was cheaper than what some of the stores are charging now.
    Having the EM-1 and the EM-1 MK11 is enough for me so I have lost interest now in that other one.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I waited and waited for the EM5 MK111 then Hubby bought me the EM -1 MK11 for my Birthday this year at Camera House.
    It came with a free Battery Grip plus $200 off the price at the time, the camera was cheaper than what some of the stores are charging now.
    Having the EM-1 and the EM-1 MK11 is enough for me so I have lost interest now in that other one.
    I think you're better off with that anyhow. Sounds like it was a good deal then.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe someone like me has switched to full frame & is off loading their OMD EM1ii & lenses. You might just get lucky.
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no interest in promoting or spruiking anything. I was simply thinking aloud about what my next camera will be, and I suspect quite a few Olympus users will be thinking the same thing.
    Obviously I should have made it into a direct question rather than floating what I thought was a conversation starter for Olympus users.
    Apologies. Delete the post if you think it’s not appropriate.
    No, the post doesn't need to be deleted. i was just unsure of what you were seeking and the direction you were hoping the discussion would go. You have clarified that with this post.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aren't Sony offering some good cameras in this range lately?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Aren't Sony offering some good cameras in this range lately?
    But Sony cameras don't take Olympus lenses.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love to have a full frame mirrorless like the Sony or the new Nikon but weight and size determined Olympus - not so much of the body but the lenses. I know lots of people say M4/3 is a dying format but it’s a great travel format and, for me, more fun to use - that is more important to me than absolute image quality.
    Last edited by Burma; 26-10-2019 at 11:36am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needs & wants......The Olympus was suggested to me & I don't deny the OMD EM1ii is a great camera but at the time I was more interested in landscapes. I quickly got frustrated only getting half the value out of the expensive Pro lenses. Shooting next to a mate with a full frame system & seeing half what he was. Now I have moved to the full frame EOS R I have found the reach of my longer lenses is lacking, can be an expensive game catering for all situations....haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love to have a full frame mirrorless like the Sony or the new Nikon but weight and size determined Olympus - not so much of the body but the lenses. I know lots of people say M4/3 is a dying format but it’s a great travel format and, for me, more fun to use - that is more important to me than absolute image quality.
    You don't need to worry about M4/3's dying. It's a useful & well established format as not everybody wants or needs the larger formats to carry around. Even Ken Duncan likes his G9, although he is now playing with the Lumix S1 (when he's not using his Phase One). It's only fanboy biases that will say a system is dying or 'that Tony'.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 26-10-2019 at 1:46pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    You don't need to worry about M4/3's dying. It's a useful format as not everybody wants or needs the larger formats to carry around. Even Ken Duncan likes his G9, although he is now playing with the Lumix S1 (when he's not using his Phase One). It's only fanboy biases that will say a system is dying or 'that Tony'.
    Quite right.