Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Damned Nikon!!!!!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damned Nikon!!!!!

So I got curious, and found that the D800's need a firmware update to work with AF-P lenses.
    No problem, always good to load up the latest software(firmware) .. 'ya never know what other goodies may come with it.

WRONG!!!!
    (damned stupid Nikon!)

So I loaded up fw v1.11(up from v1.10) .. quickly tested it out on the lowly consumer level 70-300VR AF-P lens .. lens works as they said.
    A few anomalies(pre warned of them) .. but no worries, can be ignored as insignificant on the whole.

BUT! .. what can't be ignored was that this new firmware subsequently wouldn't allow the Sigma 12-24(old model f/4.5-5.6) to AF.
    I thought I'd stuffed something up when it stopped AF-ing.
    Popped a few other lenses on and they worked, but not my (most used) 12-24 Siggy!

So I loaded up good old firmware v1.10 back onto the card .. prayed that it'd take(sometimes it's not possible to retrograde firmwares) .. but it installed.

Siggy AF-ing once again

Damned stoopid Nikon!!!!!(did I say that already? .. probably not enough )
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur, my sympathies.

Olympus did something similar, but not quite so obvious, with f/w v2.0 and v3.0 for my E-M1 MkII. Swiftly followed by v2.1 and 3.1 within about 7-10 days, fortunately.

There is a way to load previous f/w with Olympus cameras using Snowdev and a card, but it's not officially supported.

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post

There is a way to load previous f/w with Olympus cameras using Snowdev and a card, but it's not officially supported.
    Yeah, there's enough smart folks out there in the real world(as opposed to Nikon's self centred, closed little loop) that give you the tools to do so.
    The Nikonhacker group have a similar bit of software to do same, where the camera won't allow it.

But lucky in this case that the D800E allowed it natively.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the site for Olympus, it's actually called LightSnowDev:

https://www.lightsnowdev.com/Olympus/

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder Y??? - The AF-P programming shouldn't clash with the AF-S type.
    If enough people kick up [an unpleasant smell] Nikon might issue yet another update
    to support both - double

- - - Updated - - -

^^Presumably the Σiggy is AF-S-equivalent.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 29-09-2019 at 12:40pm. Reason: Misspelt sommiink...
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I wonder Y??? - The AF-P programming shouldn't clash with the AF-S type.

^^Presumably the Σiggy is AF-S-equivalent.
    The wonders of proprietary gobbeldygookiness .. I guess!
    That was the first thing I thought too .. why would additional instructions on focusing with AF-P break the already coded instructions on how to focus with AF-S.

Siggy is HSM = AF-S equivalent.

I do know that there are size limits on how firmware code has to be written .. as an example; if the fw size allocation is say 4Mb, and the current firmware is already at 4Mb, then some code has to be re written to account for both types of instructions.
    This is different to simply adding new code to operate the new feature.
    Not sure on the specifics of the D800's, but I remember it was an issue on the D300.

Oh! I forgot to say too. I had a quick peek online to see if others had similar issues, and I found some info on some cameras and lens combos(but not the D800 and my model 12-24.
    I read that a power cycle may re sort it out .. but not in my case.
    Will try to see if Sigma has any more info on the situation .. old 12-24 isn't Sigma dock compatible either, so would have to go back to Sigma to update it.
    But long term isn't going to be an issue(for me), I do have plans to get me the Siggy 12-24/4 as an update to my older model. f/4 version is dock compatible.

strange side story: I'd been stuffing around with a filter holder for my model 12-24 some time back and got a system working, but not happy with the limited filter range I could get for it.
    So I decided to bit some bullets, and get a properly made filter holder for my 12-24.
    Hit the buy button, and then it came and wouldn't fit. No way to get the holder to sit on my 12-24. Was going to raise a racket with the company I bought from, only to realise closely at what I DID buy and I bought the holder for the f/4 model!(idiot! )

So, I have to buy the 12-24/4 model now .. I have a filter holder and filters for it that have sat unused for a couple of years or so now!