User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Nikon lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon lenses

Has anyone else had problems with their Nikon lenses? Recently, there was a little problem with my Nikkor 16-35. The top section became a little loose, then it actually came off in my hand!!! This was the second time I had had this problem. A couple of years ago, the top section of my Nikkor 28-300 became loose, then came off in my hand. The first time, I paid to have it fixed. The second time, I thought, this is ridiculous, so I took a shot of the lens and sent it to Nikon HO in Japan. I await their response with baited breath.
    Has anyone else had problems like this? Looks like a design flaw to me.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures?
    What do you mean by the 'top of the lens'.

Assuming this = the front of the lens, what part fell off in your hands?

Technically the top of the lens would be the area around the distance scale.

You'd describe a lens in the following way (when fitted to the camera and used in the normal landscape orientation).

Front = front lens element/hood bayonet.
    Rear = camera mount flange
    top = distance scale, and usually lens naming area
    bottom .. pretty much blank.
    Left side = left hand
    Right side = right hand

I wouldn't be holding breath waiting for a reply from Nikon re broken things on their devices!(maybe except if you have NPS membership).

I had a minor issue with my camera, that for me was a major issue as I used this part all the time.
    Anyhow, there was zero evidence of misuse and or incorrect use of the little connector, but it fell into the camera body.
    Without even seeing it, Nikon (Aus) was already 'claiming'(in a roundabout way) no fault, not a design fault.
    I had a lot of 'evidence' to prove otherwise, in many posts on the internet, and even an admission by Nikon Germany, that this little connector can be an issue with early D800's.

Nikon's response was take it to a dealer to get assessed .. at my cost!
    Not even a chance to get it looked at, at no cost 'just in case' it was a manufacturing fault.
    I know it was a manufacturing fault .. I never misused this connector, and had a lot more uses(and years of) out of my previous camera with the same connector .. no trouble.

In the end, I declined the estimated $400-800 price to repair it, took it to an independent, paid my $800 THERE .. knowing that someone worthy got my money .. not #@$%! wits Nikon Aus!

To be sure: I am a bit of a Nikon fanboy .. I make no secret of this .. a semi fan boy. Good gear when made good .. Worst company making cameras out there!

.. been hoping that they go bust locally, and a more competent administrative group can take over Nikon locally.(like in the old days when Maxwells had the rights).

Anyhow, one can still dream and hope.

Oh! .. sorry .. I ranted.

Ummm .. post a pic if you can.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N