Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Wacom for Photoshop

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wacom for Photoshop

Does anyone use a Wacom (or similar if there's something else) for editing photos in Photoshop?

If you do, what's it like to use?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't be without it. Best thing since sliced bread!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a large one for my wife several years ago. She has never used it!

Wonderful tool. Extremely complex, even for me - a computer geek for about 45+ years.

Very poorly served as regards initial setup and support.

Not even a meaningful setup guide provided!
    Last edited by John King; 27-08-2019 at 6:51pm.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used one for around 10 years. Could not be without one now for editing in photoshop.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they a lot easier on your wrist
    In regards to repetitive strain compared to using a mouse?

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally only use a wacom tablet on my computers and laptop. There is no comparison between a highly sensitive pen in your hand, compared to a mouse. I find it a much more natural position, so don't get tired. Very fine work as in Photoshop, is much, much easier. Can't remember how many years I've been using tablets.

Some people struggle with tablets, so if you are not someone who likes doodling / drawing / writing, it may not appeal.

When I started, someone advised doing tablet drawing exercises to learn the feel of the tablet. That was good advice. The other necessary advice was to run the tablet in "mouse" mode. It is in the Pen properties section of the driver. (mine is a Wacom Intuos )

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the replies and info all, thank you.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Dale View Post
    Are they a lot easier on your wrist
    In regards to repetitive strain compared to using a mouse?
    Agree with, Max...the pen is far more natural to use than a mouse. I do jump back to the mouse for general browsing sometimes though, old habits, but 100% tablet in PS.

I've modified my desk slightly so the Tablet is at the same level as the Slide-out Keyboard and on a slight angle. I rest my elbow on the chairs armrest. It's all very relaxed.

I can turn on 'Touch' so the tablet (Intuos Pro S) acts like any mobile device screen with two finger pinch, two finger scroll etc...it'll even rotate images in PS. You can switch on 'Pen Pressure' in PS which is handy if ya do a bit of drawing. Many many handy uses that I think you'll enjoy?

You may have trouble with 'Windows Ink'...these guys have an easy fix for all that

If you do decide to get one, here's a quick tutorial, a bit dated, but should have some relevance?

Cheers -

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gazza and appreciate the links mate

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I was able to borrow someones Wacom Bamboo it only measures 20cm x 20cm, plugged it in and it was usable instantly.
    Owner said that the Bamboo is the most basic (and this one is supposed to be around 10 years old) but it seems to be working ok, but there looks like a massive 'getting used to it' period is going to be unavoidable.

At least I can muck around with this one and see if I like it.

What does a more expensive Wacom offer over the Bamboo?

P,s do use your wacom as a mouse for clicking when just browsing the net or only for post processing?

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wacom as a mouse for everything. I don't think this PC has ever had a mouse connected to it. The pen is a mile faster and incredibly sensitive. You can set up how fast and sensitive you want your pen to move in the wacom tablet properties.

I don't know about the Bamboo, as I've always had Intuos. On mine, if you are using your pen as a mouse, the tablet needs to be in "Mouse" mode in the Mapping tab. The pen mode maps a particular point on the tablet to the same exact point on your monitor, so if you touch your tablet a centimetre from the bottom left corner, your cursor shows at the same corresponding point on the bottom left of your monitor. Very disconcerting, unless seriously drawing. My tablet is fairly large and is on a slide out keyboard shelf. The keyboard sits directly above it on the desk. Just as well the tablet has a protector sheet on it, as it makes a convenient table when eating

Have an explore in the Bamboo Properties window to see if there are settings in there to make the pen comfortable for you. I definitely didn't need a massive getting used to period once I discovered Mouse mode. I loved the tablet from the beginning, but I used to draw years ago.

My pen has buttons under where my thumb rests, which I can assign properties to. It is a rocker button and one is set on back, and one on right click.
    Last edited by farmmax; 31-08-2019 at 1:41am.