Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup through Tablet

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backup through Tablet

I am going travelling in a few weeks. Previously when I have travelled I have had a laptop computer which I used to copy files off the camera memory card using a card reader, and then copy those onto a small USB hard drive. This gave me 3 copies of each photo, if I didn't clear the camera card, and two copies if I did.

My laptop has since died (RIP), and I don't want to buy a new one, I always use the desktop at home.

I have come up with this plan, to use a USB OTG cable to connect the card reader to a Samsung tablet (with 128Gb of memory), and copy the files into the tablet, then still using the OTG cable, copy those files onto a 128 Gb USB stick. This effectively gives me the same backup ability as I had previously.

I have tried this with my phone in place of the tablet (which I haven't purchased yet) and it all works fine, if a little slow. Both the phone and the tablet are Samsung, so should give the same result.

Anyone else tried something like this?

Here is the equipment.

Backup.jpg
    Last edited by davidd; 25-08-2019 at 2:14pm.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like, but not with this gear. It should work OK, but my reservation would be to use a stick at all. My alt preference
    would be for a $79 Toshiba Canvio 1 TB drive (or two, but not 2TB).

Now, if I were going on that trip I'd buy another laptop, just for the ability to seriously edit something while away.
    (From experience and now distant memory, tablets are pretty modest performers.)

As an example, a rel just bought a very snappy Acer (among a couple of other brands but this best for features)
    that is featherweight, small, 14" full HD touch, a heap of well laid out USB3 ports, 8 GB RAM, a very late Core I5,
    and (the only concession to economy) only a single 250 GB SSD. - Snappy as!! (After setting it up I wanted to keep it)

- - - Updated - - -

^^Raving and forgot to add: Slightly less weight your way, but way less performance.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for reply.

I am not looking to do any editing, merely backup storage.

I have a 250Gb SSD drive in a small enclosure, works fine connected to the computer through USB, without needing a separate power supply, but the phone (or tablet I presume) does not have enough power to power the drive through the USB port.
    Actually I might take it along just in case I can scrounge a few minutes on someone elses computer.

I would hate to get back and find I've lost all the photos due to a memory card failure.
    Last edited by davidd; 25-08-2019 at 2:49pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ My not-so-hot experience is with an Atom-powered HP "separatable" keyboard/tablet
    affair that has 64GB total storage, though it runs on Win 10. (Somebody gave it to me)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One slight hitch has arisen in this scheme. It seems the tablet is unable to see CF cards in the card reader, (they show up fine when connected to my computer), so it seems I will have to rely on SD cards only in my D810.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's gotter be a reason, DD. Can you pls supply the model of the tablet, size of card(s).

From reports, it's not CF cards alone that are problematic with such devices.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I suspect it's something easy and I reckon you should solve it before you leave.
    Having such a limitation would [cause relative substance movement due to differential fluid pressure over a distance]

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the same setup on my trip to Sri Lanka using a Samsung Note 8 ( a relatively old 8 inch table not the phone note 8). I am pretty sure my SSD (portable type) worked on the tablet.

It worked well, although a bit slow compared to doing it through a computer. I did do some limited editing on the tablet, however it was not very satisfactory.
    My camera has SD cards, I have not tried it with a CF card, it seems strange that the tablet can not see the CF card.

I have since replaced the dying laptop and dead tablet with a surface pro and now use that. Much quicker and editing is similar to the laptop.
    Mark

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'll eat my hat but there are no refs to CF cards for this problem. There are
    heaps for SD cards not being detected. About the only useful one is on this page.
    It has to do with a Galaxy Note 8 and SD cards, but the ideas may be relevant

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=ameerat42;1491307]There's gotter be a reason, DD. Can you pls supply the model of the tablet, size of card(s).

Its a Galaxy Tab A, 8". The CF card is a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, again!
    Yet another - this time CF specific - instance of the problem
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s-cf-card.html

The obvious:
    Have you tried another non-OTG cable? (Corollary: is your device OTG compatible?)
    Have you tried another card reader?
    Are the tablet and card reader matched for USB standard, like 2 or 3?
    Does the card reader require extra power (for CFs) that the tablet can't supply?

- - - Updated - - -

PS: By-and-by AK, JK, Swifty, or Tannin, etc should amble along with a bright light...
    Last edited by ameerat42; 29-08-2019 at 2:25pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I had a Samsung tablet - but it's an
    HP Pavilion XP Detachable. However, here's something it can do, and a
    Samsung tablet shouldn't be far behind...
    IMG_20190829_153130aclr.jpg
    Pls excuse a smidgin of camera shake

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Am, the OTG cable works fine when connected to a USB drive, or to the card reader with an SD card inserted.
    The card reader works fine with a CF card inserted when connected to my PC. (Update: Tried another card reader that only accepts CF cards, same result.)

It is only when connected to the tablet and the CF card is inserted the device simply ignores it, does not ask me to insert a card or anything. Just does not respond at all.

Your HP Pavilion is probably running Windows, but the Samsung tablet is running Android. I don't think Android can recognise CF cards.
    Last edited by davidd; 29-08-2019 at 6:00pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    ...Your HP Pavilion is probably running Windows, but the Samsung tablet is running Android. I don't think Android can recognise CF cards.
    Oh, I see

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try connecting the OTG adapter to the camera.
    This is what I used to do.
    As the camera is self powered, it doesn't draw power from the USB host device.

I used to use my SGT 7"(Android 4.4) with my D300 way back.
    Was an OK system, loaded a few apps to view images, loaded something(can't recall now) to view NEF files directly.
    Screen wasn't too nice, so the plan to possibly edit some images as time allowed went down like a lead balloon!
    Bit it was handy to be able to review some images on a larger screen when time allowed.
    More importantly was the backup.
    I used to backup to a portable HDD.

In saying all this tho, my OTG cable/device was slightly different to what I just scrolled up and saw in your pic.
    The Galaxy Tab of old had this totally silly 'Apple like' connector(not straight USB type port), and the OTG adapter I found has car reading ports on it, and a USB host port(like you PC does .. a USB A plug)
    SO I could use it as a reader, or as a USB host converter(Android does USB host). Had to flip a small switch between car slots and USB port for it to recognise the camera .. but my CF card reader was the camera.
    Never failed.

With the CF card issue:
    try some stuff ...

1/. format the CF card via Windows, use exfat or fat32. see if this recognises the CF card.
    2/. do you have any SD cards. D810 series has 1CF and 1 SD card slot. If you have any SD cards, take some images saved on the SD card using the camera, see if this works.(this is assuming you're shooting NEF, not jpg.
    3/. a couple of test shots using jpg mode on the D810 on the CF cards. Does the tablet see the jpgs on the CF card now?
    4/. have you loaded a NEF codec on the tablet?
    Basically the above relates to the ability for Android to 'see' NEF file types. Natively it doesn't, so you need an app that does, or an NEF codec(decoder) on the tablet. Just get an app that allows you to view raw files.

I know CF cards can be weird(ie do weird things).
    I went from a D300 to a D800E. The CF card I used in the D300(Patriot brand) was a ripper(for the time) .. super fast, never let me down.
    No way I could get the Patriot CF card to work in the D800E, even tho it worked perfectly in the D300!
    I got a reasonably fast Lexar CF card for the D800E, but the Patriot CF card was faster(testing on Windows) .. just wouldn't work on the D800E.

But as above CF cards natively should work on Android, as long as they're formatted OK(ie. not NTFS). Can't remember what format Nikon use .. I think FAT32 .. which is fine on Android anyhow.

Also to note .. the host device(ie. smart phone, PC, tablet .. etc .. these are the Host devices) .. they actually don't see the card directly.
    The see the card via the adapter. The adapter could be anything, just so happens that your adapter is device A from manufacturer B(ie. your card reader).
    The card itself is an ATA device, like the old gen hard drives, that used the UDMA1-7 interface .. now HDDs are SATA.
    So the CF card is something like a UDMA6 or 7 device .. not really a CF card.
    The card reader is a UDMA(or ATA) to USB adapter. The Host 'sees' the storage device only via the adapter, so could be the card reader.
    So technically speaking, you don't see the card itself, you see its file system via the interface type it uses(that UDMA/ATA/SATA/USB stuff).

I'm thinking tho, that most likely is that you have NEF files on the card, and Android can't see these.
    Note when I mention the NEF(or raw) codec, I don't mean a converter as such. I mean you could convert them if you want too, but if you got an app that can convert raw files(ie. NEF) to jpg, then it can read NEF files.
    As long as this app is flexible enough that you can point it to any directory/device .. then you should be able to see the files on the CF card(not so much the CF card itself)

Easy test to do for now(to gather more data) is .. connect camera to tablet via the OTG lead. See if this works first.
    And have both NEF and jpg files to play with.
    I reckon, as long as the card reader is fine, then if you had two images one in NEF and one in jpg, using even a simple app like Gallery, you should see the jpg file on the CF card.

One other tip, look for an app for the tablet(or phone) called X-plore. It's a file browser.
    I used to use ES File Explorer, but it turned to garbage. Found X-Plore much better replacement anyhow .. so even if ES was still unbloated rubbish .. would have changed to X-Plore anyhow.
    Might seem a little confusing at first .. but it's so much more intuitive once got used too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Arthur, thanks for the long explanation.

One thing, I don't believe it is NEF files upsetting it, I can download NEF files from the SD card with no problem. However when I insert a CF card and plug the card reader in, there is no reaction from the tablet at all, it doesn't even register I've done anything.
    I will try plugging in the card reader with both cards in, and see what happens. However, another problem has just arisen, when I turn on the tablet, it starts in 'Safe Mode', and when I turn off Safe Mode, it restarts again, still in Safe Mode. I will investigate further, but have other more pressing tasks to do right now. ( Update: Safe Mode problem fixed. )
    Will report back later.
    Last edited by davidd; 30-08-2019 at 9:25am.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The process of figuring out what and why could be a slow one.
    It's a matter of 'process of elimination'.

Have you connected the D810 directly yet. (to the OTG adapter, that is).

I'll have a play with any CF card readers I have.
    I know I have a couple, one right here, Lexar USB3, and also see what happens.
    I think(maybe 50% sure) I may have tried using a card reader(USB2) connected to the Tab .. but really can't remember well.
    Because camera worked, I just used it as the card reader .. less stuff to carry and potentially lose.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version of Android on the Tab A?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Android version is 9.

I tried connecting the camera, it recognised the camera, but was not able to see any files on the CF card (or the CF card itself).
    It opens a 'Camera Importer' app, and shows the photos on the SD card, but does not see anything else (no CF card).

I have tried 2 different card readers, same result.
    Searching with Google brings up many queries about this same thing, but no solutions.
    I think that Android just is unable to see or read CF cards.

Looks like I'll have to rely on SD cards on the trip.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From all the ^-going, next would be:
    "Hello, Samsung? - How do yer..."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    I think that Android just is unable to see or read CF cards.

Looks like I'll have to rely on SD cards on the trip.
    OK, it is hardware related, but not what you think.

Android can see CF cards(remember my arduous post above, that it doesn't strictly see the CF card, it sees it's file system via an inbuilt adapter).
    Anyhow. I can't get my Tab7 to see any of my cards via the OTG and a card reader .. neither the SD card nor the CF, and on an old USB2 reader and a Lexar USB3 reader.

My OTG is a little different to yours in that it's also a card reader(large dongle thing) and with a flip switch I also have a USB(A) port out to whatever I need.

If I connect the D800E, it sees it via the USB port, but now can't see the files on either card(I have to work that out).
    If I connect the D300 to the USB port, it sees the files and the D300 only has a single CF slot.
    My Tab 7 is old Android 4.4.

SO as it's now doing my head in .. I had to test other variables too.
    On my S8+, it came with it's own OTG adapter, noting that this is a USB-C to USB-A port .. a small cube looking thing.
    Haven't used it at all till just now.
    So, now on the S8+, connect the D800E, and it instantly pops up as a storage device.
    Also! .. connect either of the card readers to the S8+'s OTG adapter and both work, where I couldn't get them too on the Tab7.

So Android does see CF cards(remember above .. it doesn't really care what the card is).

And a few things I'm seeing that may point to a clue as to what the issue could be:
    On the Tab7, one of the notifications that pop up when connecting the card reader is that it's a 'high powered' device and not connected.
    So it sees it, but Droid 4.4 and/or the actual device(now being quite old) can't power it up .. whereas newer hardware can.
    My S8+ is also Android 9, so with that info, I'd say it's more a hardware thing considering your Tab A is also droid 9.

But remember my Tab7 does see the D800E(just not it's files), and does see the D300(and it's files).

Note too: I had my Tab7 setup for the same thing you want/need, and I installed quite a few apps to get the job done(just never used it as much as I thought).
    Anyhow, I installed raw codecs, and other raw file capable programs(notable being DslrDashboard), and for some reason now they can't see the raw files on the D800(I'm thinking maybe because they're old versions)
    Also of note is that I've replaced my Tab7(but still have it) with a Lenovo M10 .. haven't tried it with the M10 tho.

Took a quick photo with the D800(SD card in place) of the S8+ with the card reader and reading the CF card with a single NEF file on it.
    I don't use my smart phone for such stuff, and have never installed raw codec apps or anything like that on it, so some later versions of Android are natively capable of viewing camera raw files.
    Kind'a makes sense really as Google did give Android raw file capture capability a few years back(I think they do DNG format).

D800E_DSD_3264.JPG

I think 2 possible solutions:
    1/. Try X-Plore app on the tab A and use the camera as the 'card reader' .. at least see if this works. Camera is self powered so won't be the drain on the device that a card reader could be.
    If you do try to use the X-Plore app, on your Tab A, and want it to access your camera directly you need to change a setting in the app.
    In the app, go to settings, and scroll down near the end and look for the option to directly read the OTG adapter. I think it's Use X-Plore USB - Driver.
    It's obvious, as it explains it's purpose.

If your CF card issue is power related, I suggest you could get a dedicated CF card reader.
    I remember some years back I set a particular type on my ebay watch list. Looks like a USB thumbdrive but has a CF card slot on one side. These are (apparently)lower power devices, so could do the trick.
    About $20 on ebay IIRC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast