User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Nortons Slow Down Internet Access?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Nortons Slow Down Internet Access?

Hi, only me lamenting again

I am trying to set up a new laptop, 64-bit Win 10 job...

Yeah, mostly OK, but I have noticed that when I'm downloading (drivers, etc) the download speed
    is often very slo-o-o-w It has a 30-day trial of Nortons security suite installed. If I try the same
    downloads on my own computer (roughly equivalent in specs) that does not have Nortons, the speed
    is about 5~10X faster. (BTW, an OOKLA test shows all pretty good.)

Is this just an alias effect, or does N's really take that much out of the performance?

I can't wait (end of 30 days) to ditch N's and just use Win defender. - I might not wait, yet!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, I gave up using Norton s/w in the late 1990s when Peter Norton sold it. I found that it dramatically slowed every computer it was installed on ...

I recommend MalwareBytes Premium these days. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, that is about what I was gunner do.

Do you have any info on how/why it slows things?
    I did disabled a (dys-)feature on it the other day, but can't remember what it is.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Hi, only me lamenting again

I am trying to set up a new laptop, 64-bit Win 10 job...

Yeah, mostly OK, but I have noticed that when I'm downloading (drivers, etc) the download speed
    is often very slo-o-o-w It has a 30-day trial of Nortons security suite installed. If I try the same
    downloads on my own computer (roughly equivalent in specs) that does not have Nortons, the speed
    is about 5~10X faster. (BTW, an OOKLA test shows all pretty good.)

Is this just an alias effect, or does N's really take that much out of the performance?

I can't wait (end of 30 days) to ditch N's and just use Win defender. - I might not wait, yet!
    Good idea. The installed 'Windows Security' works quietly in the background with no hassles for me. What more do you need?
    Last edited by Gazza; 16-08-2019 at 10:10am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Just poorly written, bloated code, I suspect.

Don't touch Kaspersky. AVG Free picks up things that Kaspersky should never have allowed through!

AFAIK, MwB is the only anti-poxware that actively watches for crypto virus behaviour, not just known viral signatures.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, guys. Cripes, what a pass!

- - - Updated - - -

JK, Gazza...
    Done! Sold to the man in the hat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    ...The installed 'Windows Security' works quietly in the background with no hassles for me...
    Uninstalled Nortons successfully (ie, now Not On the computer ) and set up Win Def firewall and virus protection.
    Also installed SuperAntiSpyware (14-day full trial) and downloaded Malwarebytes to install later after consult'n with owner.

All working fine.

Another 2 Qs:
    1) Is it worth setting up the W 10 "ransomware protection" based on OneDrive?
    2) " " " " " " " " "account protection" (whatever that means)?

If the acct protection means having to log in with password then I won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't allow Norton anywhere near any PC I owned AM.

Give Kasperksy a try, you won't see any slow down at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Dale View Post
    I wouldn't allow Norton anywhere near any PC I owned AM.

Give Kasperksy a try, you won't see any slow down at all.
    Ha ha, Bear. That's largely because it seems to me to be fairly lax ...

I support a friend's computer. He installed Kaspersky a few years ago on third party advice. In spite of my showing him that it wasn't catching stuff it should have caught, it is just so easy for him that he renews his subscription every year - even when I'm there telling him not to!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, I've used it for longer than I can remember and I've never had the slightest problem. Its popularity and following its gained in the nerd world is huge. It always is rated highly in every computer magazine/website.
    Happy to pay my yearly subscription

Ps Antivirus discussions can turn into Holden vs Ford discussions, but seeing I drive a Landcruiser I'll stay out of this now

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get rid of Nortons. Kill it.

A couple of years back a friend had an issue with a new computer. No matter what they tried it would not connect to their wireless network. We spent hours on it. Brand new.. out of the box.

I was watching the processor and noticed a file. Googled it.. a nortons file. Now even though Nortons was on this pc, we had not run it, or even 'activated it' on this brand new computer. It should have just been sitting there waiting to pop-up saying its usual crap about install me. A check of installed programs did not show Nortons. But there it was sitting on the desktop as an installation option. Yet here it was running a process already.

Disabled the process and voila..wifi worked.

Nortons is nothing more than a virus itself.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Dale View Post
    John, I've used it for longer than I can remember and I've never had the slightest problem. Its popularity and following its gained in the nerd world is huge. It always is rated highly in every computer magazine/website.
    Happy to pay my yearly subscription
    Being a 'nerd' myself since the early 1970s, I have found Kaspersky to have significant shortcomings. MalwareBytes does not appear to have those shortcomings. Having run my own computer consulting business since the late 1980s, and been troubleshooter of last resort for a couple of Australia's larger companies, I have come to trust my own judgement.

Ps Antivirus discussions can turn into Holden vs Ford discussions, but seeing I drive a Landcruiser I'll stay out of this now
    Too true. Driving a Subaru myself, I will too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said norton is a steaming pile of words that shall not be said and should be removed (something i should do myself on my laptop if its there)

Just windows defender and malware bytes do fine tho i run avast as a back up since i run the free version of malware bytes.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, guys. It is well and truly off that computer now.

I also have 2 different mates who are running McAfee and (I think) Nortons
    as paid subscriptions. Both are on firm contracts that when these are over,
    I will be called upon to exorcise their machines of the program.

Reminder: Can anyone venture some reply to my additional 2 Qs in post 6?
    Last edited by ameerat42; 17-08-2019 at 6:57am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    acct protection, needs a password, or pin No. for login.
    Can't say the I've ever needed it.

As for ransomware, just be smart ... and again not required.
    Nice to have, but ransomware will usually be 'installed' if you open a file from a foreign entity of unknown trustworthiness .. ie. be smart!

eg. emails come pretty much every day from 'my bank' .. both of origins obviously known to be false pretence, and totally legit origins(ie. my actual bank).
    Never respond, never open any links via the email(ever!!).
    If there's a real bank issue, I'll either log in manually from my known link, or call bank to figure out the issue.

a few years back, I had a credit card(I think Westpac) .. maybe Virgin(one or the other).
    Anyhow, for some reason the brand of the CC changed, I'm sure I got the snail mail for that change, but I think I noticed that it was brand B credit card envelope, not really interested in 'junk mail' so it got chucked in the recycling, direct from the mail box.
    But they were legit mail directed at me .. for me! It was about the change of CC from one to the other brand(thinking back I think it was Virgin to Westpac).

Anyhow, started getting phone calls about my Credit Card and that I needed to take some action.
    Bank employee saying that they needed confirmation of my ID!

Yeah, right .. you call me, asking my bank details ... and of course I'm just going to give those to any 'joe on the phone'.

My bad .. they were legit calls and emails, but me being standard issue paranoid about any such contact regarding sensitive issues like that ... the 'sensible' thing to do is ignore that contact and make direct contact with the bank I deal with.
    But remember, I had a Virgin CC, and the call was from Westpac CC .. so of course highly suspect from my point of view.
    My bad for not opening what I thought was spam snail mail and read the letter tho.
    Anyhow, all worked out in the end(6 months or so later when it struck me, I hadn't used that CC for about a year .. and time to close it down). I think I owed 20c or something for ignoring it for so long.

So if you get emailed statements from bank .. delete them. Go to bank website and download from there .. etc. etc.

I haven't opened a statement or invoice for a good 10-15years now .. always go direct to the website to check it there.

99.9% are probably legit emails and attachments, but that one that may pass through .. the 0.01% that is ransomware is the one that gets 'ya.

Q: now with Norton uninstalled, have you tested the connection speed of new lappy to see if it made a difference?
    My initial thought was that you're comparing two different systems, so not a direct comparison. Too many variables between systems to lay the blame on Nortons.
    My first thought would have been update drivers for whatever connection method you used on the new lappy.
    Was it eth, or wireless? if Wifi, was it 2G or 5G.
    Do you know the networking hardware on the new lappy? What module, chipset, driver version .. etc.
    There's a ton of difference in speed just on that side of the equation, never mind the interopability between different hardware types/brands/models etc.
    That is, your router/modem may not play as nicely with the network adapter on the laptop, as it does with the adapter on the PC .. etc.
    I've had that myself with my PC.
    Got the motherboard I did, based on the eth card(chip) it had installed on it .. at the time a very high quality brand/model.
    But, never played nicely until a long time later when Killer Networks finally updated the driver to a setup that my Netgear router finally liked.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, AK.

Surprisingly, Spam has decreased of late. I must be a lost cause in Spamada

I'd get it from courier coys, airlines, do-gooders,... you name it. (See a few of my threads thereon.)
    There used to be about 10-15 a day. Now it's only about 1 or 2 every 1 or 2 days. It's such a pity that people get hoodwinked.

Somebody I know recently got a death threat in a phone scam It got reported to scamwatch, but

It's such a simple expedient to hover the mouse over the sender's name to reveal the true address. I'm glad I've never had a
    ransomeware attack. It'd be such a (temporary) inconvenience. I must admit that my own email username got hacked and a
    bunch of stuff was sent to my contacts a couple of times - even to myself from me

Now to Nortons...
    OdDLy, the Ookla speed test was the same +/- both before and after ditching Nortons. It was actual file download speeds
    that were affected. I tried a few, to make sure it wasn't some alias effect. - Consistently slow with N's installed, even when
    I had switched off (what I thought were) Internet throttling controls in N's. I was testing a non-N's machine on the same
    wi-fi connection at the same time. There was about 10-15X difference. With N's gone, BANG! - up went the file download
    speeds to "normal". - A-a-a-and the Ookla speed "was still the same".

Other Qs: Wifi 5G; Intel Wireless AC 9560; chipset is ?; drivers are presumably up-to-date but for sure...

Only 1 question I have, AK:

In Device Mgr, the adapter properties are set to "Wireless 802.11 a/b/g". Should I change them to "...n/ac"?

I have connected to the Wifi 5G band, presumably the AC protocol.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm! Maybe this page answers that question.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 17-08-2019 at 6:48pm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the correction, Richard. Since writing that, I checked and found that a number of programs offer this now. When I first subscribed to MwB a couple of years ago, they were the only ones offering this.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, Richard. That's exactly how those settings are now. I will leave them as they are.
    (I was a bit to find that my own 2012 BIOS dated machine does not have an AC band adapter.
    Prgress, I suppose.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's just the settings

My workplace uses Norton; I asked id they've ever considered using something else but they said Norton hasn't given them issues with the software we use, where others potentially can (not sure if it means they've tried it themselves or based on experiences from other companies who use the same software as us)

Anyways, I personally use Comodo at home
    Whether it's the best or number 1, I don't know
    I only use it because it has firewall and anti virus, and the interface and all seems to work ok, not sluggish like Avast (when I used to use Avast and Windows Firewall only)
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, David. No, I only changed the settings after I had got rid of Ns.
    (Actually, I can't remember even if I did... - Oh, yes, I did. - One of them.)

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Another 2 Qs:
    1) Is it worth setting up the W 10 "ransomware protection" based on OneDrive?
    2) " " " " " " " " "account protection" (whatever that means)?

If the acct protection means having to log in with password then I won't.
    Issue I have with using OneDrive for my account protection is that you only get about 5gb of storage on the free OneDrive.

if it is going to provide me with account protection, it would need to store ALL my personal files which with all my photos is far greater than the space in my free onedrive account... I mean, I currently have 2 x 16GB SD cards in my camera... one photo shoot is going to blowout that 5gb on one drive...

To make it a viable option, I would need to pay for sufficient OneDrive Storage... And even if you had enough OneDrive storage, it would not really be viable unless your internet connection is faster than a basic NBN plan. (i.e NBN50 as a bare minimum)
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast