Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you shoot a dSLR

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you shoot a dSLR

If you shoot a dSLR do you see it (or another dSLR) seeing you right through your photography journey or do you think you will ever go to a mirrorless body?

If you do go mirrorless, will you go native lenses or use your current lenses via an adaptor?

I'm thinking I'll be staying with a dSLR and current lenses, if Nikon mirrorless body years down the track comes out that is just an insane wow factor over a dSLR, that could change my thoughts.

At this stage I couldn't see myself buying a complete range of mirrorless native lenses, so I would be using an adaptor.

But realistically, I'm happy with my current dSLR gear and think it will do me until its worn out...or I am

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure any use of adapters allows full communication between lens and body.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM reading some reviews about using Nikon F mount lenses on the Z6 & Z7 bodies via the Nikon FTZ adaptor some people have said that the AF isn't as good and a few other niggles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adapter quality is of prime importance IME.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I’m being 100% honest, I don’t actually even know what mirrorless is. I know it’s there to read and understand if I want to, but for now there’s no point. I’ve wanted a full frame DSLR for a long time but it’s never been a financial option, and I assume I can amplify that for this mirrorless stuff. If it ever becomes relevant to me I’ll read up on it.

But I plan to ride out the 70D for as long as it operates.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to spring for a new camera earlier this year, but instead, I opted for a more lavish garage instead.

But prior to the additional $'s on the garage, I gave myself the two options of a D850 or Z7.
    The more I read about it, the more I think I would have went with the D850.
    Never got to check out the Z7, more specifically it's EVF .. not a fan of EVF!! ... as the funds have now gone into the garage anyhow.

But my reasoning for the Z7 option was merely for the ability to play with and experiment with various alternative lens types, as the shorter register distance on the mirrorless camera allows for a lot more flexibility.
    I have to disagree with Johns comment that the quality of the adapter is imperative, it really depends on what you're trying to do!

Then again I also have to disagree with Am's comment that you want full communication too .. how boring!

Of course you can have 100 people needing 100 alternative features from their gear .. so the above musings falls under one of those requirements.

I think the advantages of one 'thing' over a 'different type of thing' only becomes clear once you know what it is you want from the thing(you're contemplating to acquire)

eg. if you shoot landscapes exclusively, I'd avoid a mirrorless camera simply due to the excessive battery use you'd encounter.
    But then again this depends entirely on how you go about doing landscape, and I say this with my experience of doing landscape.

My method is slow, tedious and 'deliberate' .. I'll spend a long while on a single scene, no matter how simple it appears to be. Almost always it turns out there was a 'better' way to have captured the scene.
    So I'll plonk myself, I may loiter and compose for a minimum 30mins, usually more like a minimum of an hour .. sometimes most of the arvo! .. just to get a simple not always so obvious scene shot.
    With that glacial workflow in mind ... a mirrorless camera would be less ideal for me. I'd need 10x the battery count in my travels.

The above is the reason I decided that the D850(update from the D800E) was my suitable option ... but then again like I said .. $s disappeared into metal and concrete.

I may revisit the option again in the future, but in saying that, I've hit the lost mojo obstacle that other's have sometimes complained of too.
    Although in saying that, a lot of my time was taken up playing bob the builder, so haven't really tried much to get out and about so often.
    Just one aside from all that too tho, the one thing I really wish I had access too on my camera body is Electronic Front Curtain(EFC), where the front shutter is activated electronically, not the actual shutter.
    This way high magnification stuff(i.e MACRO macro, not the pseudo cropped up stuff!) doesn't turn out so crappily as I can get from the D800E(sometimes).

Once all the dust settles(if ever) in the shed(I'm currently making doors), maybe the super solid concrete floor(as opposed to timber framed/timber trampoline ... floor! in the home) may make a more solid starting base.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear, all the photos in this album were shot using my E-M1 MkI (mirrorless) using my four thirds 14-54 MkII lens via an Olympus MMF-3 adapter.

https://canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2...ralianCarShow/

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first medium format camera was a mirrorless. - An Agfa focus-free box camera. I've still got it.

After that I had a couple of 35mm mirrorless cameras - they were called "rangefinders".
    Finally I got an SLR. Since then a couple of digital compacts, and again now a DSLR

The (D)SLRs are a temporary side-track in the advance of mirrorless photography

And, don't read this

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    If I’m being 100% honest, I don’t actually even know what mirrorless is. I know it’s there to read and understand if I want to, but for now there’s no point. I’ve wanted a full frame DSLR for a long time but it’s never been a financial option, and I assume I can amplify that for this mirrorless stuff. If it ever becomes relevant to me I’ll read up on it.

But I plan to ride out the 70D for as long as it operates.
    My son has my 50D Geoff that is 11-12 years old now and it still operates like the day it came out of its box, your 70D will be around for a quite awhile.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Bear, all the photos in this album were shot using my E-M1 MkI (mirrorless) using my four thirds 14-54 MkII lens via an Olympus MMF-3 adapter.

https://canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2...ralianCarShow/
    Nice John.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    .. not a fan of EVF!! ...

If I ever bought another body with EVF I'd have to extensively test it beforehand. I've owned a Panasonic FZ2500 and a Sony RX10 III and both EVF's made me feel seasick.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had both SLR since 1981 and DSLR since 2002, but recently invested in a mirrorless. For me it was horses for courses - in this case the mirrorless was an addition to my kit (replacement actually). I already had a canon 1Dx so needed a smaller lighter body. The decision was easy for me as the canon supplied adaptor means I could use my existing Canon lenses flawlessly with the mirrorless body.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my two Olympus E-M1 & E-M1 Mk11 Cameras I shoot with Olympus m4/3 lenses.

Both Systems work for me Canon DSLR and Olympus Mirrorless m4/34, it all depends how I feel that day Strong as a Ox as everything is hand held, or weak as a little Puppy.

The reason I went Mirrorless Olympus E-M1 & E-M1 Mk11 was the lighter weight. Yes I still use my Canon gear and still Like it.
    Who am I kidding about weight my Olympus 300mmf/4 lens weighs a tad more than my Canon 300mm f/4 lens, so only the Olympus camera is lighter.
    I have the Kipon EOS m4/3 A Adapter 5 ½ years old now, not the cheapest though not up there with the price of the Metabones one which I wanted.
    They did not make one at the time. I have not checked to see if Metabones make one now as I am not interested in buying one it's to late

Because everything is Manual on my adapter and you cannot see what f/- you are using you have to make sure you put it on what you want I forgot a few times.
    I don't like it with the Canon 300mm f/4L lens and that why I saved for years to get the Olympus one.
    It's not to bad with the Canon 70-200mm f/4L, I have taken a few images with my Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens also.
    I used to love playing around with my Canon M-PE 65mm Macro lens on the m4/3 camera for a bit of fun I actually got to shoot a Aphid Egg on 4x hand held.
    And was very pleased with that image..
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 18-08-2019 at 2:58pm.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminder to members:

The nub of this thread is as cited below (from OP's 1st post):
    " If you shoot a dSLR

If you shoot a dSLR do you see it (or another dSLR) seeing you right through your photography journey or do you think you will ever go to a mirrorless body?

If you do go mirrorless, will you go native lenses or use your current lenses via an adaptor?"

Discussions ONLY on the relative merits of camera systems - like Mirrorless vs DSLR - may be subject to moderation.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have used a (Nikon) DSLR for a number of years now, but recently (last year) picked up an Olympus E-M10 MkII (and recently an E-M1) with the intention of just using it for travelling.

However, it quite quickly became the main camera that I use (due to weight), and is now used for around 80% of my photography.

I did look at getting an adapter to use my Nikon lenses on the Olympus, however, the adapters generally don't have a pass through, so are manual focus and only shoot on the widest aperture, unless you have a lens that has manual aperture adjustment.

Am slowly upgrading my lenses to comparable M43 lenses. That being said, I won't give up my DSLR and lenses, but it only comes out on special occasions.
    Last edited by Bensch; 18-08-2019 at 4:56pm.
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have adapters for my manual lenses from my film days, and an OEM 'smart' adapter for my four thirds lenses. All attach to my micro four thirds cameras. My old manual lenses also work on my four thirds cameras.

It's all to do with the registration distance (lens flange mount to sensor plane) and whether the electronic connections can be interpreted by a 'smart' adapter. A number of manufacturers make smart adapters and focal reduction adapters for many electronic lenses to mFTs and some other mirrorless makers/mounts.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post

I did look at getting an adapter to use my Nikon lenses on the Olympus, however, the adapters generally don't have a pass through, so are manual focus and only shoot on the widest aperture, unless you have a lens that has manual aperture adjustment.

Am slowly upgrading my lenses to comparable M43 lenses. That being said, I won't give up my DSLR and lenses, but it only comes out on special occasions.
    I think you can .. get an adapter that will pass through electronic data(I think) .. will have to delve into it a bit more.
    Obviously I'm not an Olympus user, so don't really delve into every possible option and accessory available, but I think Metabones may have an adapter for Nikon(lens) to Olympus(body) that does comms too.

Nah! sorry you're right .. no comms.
    It was the Canon EF adapter that did comms to m4/3rd.
    Obviously the Nikon AF protocol is too expensive(R&D) to deal with for some manufacturers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not expense. Check out what a Metabones adapter costs!

Much more likely to be a registration distance problem (too thin for connections).

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    I have had both SLR since 1981 and DSLR since 2002, but recently invested in a mirrorless. For me it was horses for courses - in this case the mirrorless was an addition to my kit (replacement actually). I already had a canon 1Dx so needed a smaller lighter body. The decision was easy for me as the canon supplied adaptor means I could use my existing Canon lenses flawlessly with the mirrorless body.
    So how do you reckon any mirrorless would perform over the 80D with my 600mm lens?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    So how do you reckon any mirrorless would perform over the 80D with my 600mm lens?
    Mark, it seems to be a general rule across brands that even within a brand adapted lenses do not AF as fast as lenses native to the format/body. Sometimes they will not AF at all.

In Olympus land the E-M1 series overcome some of these problems by using on-sensor PDAF alongside the native CDAF, sometimes using both. It is still not as fast as using native CDAF lenses for the most part.

It really seems to be on a case by case basis. There is an Adapted Lens forum on DPR where these issues are discussed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote a detailed response to this the other day, but it seems to have gone missing and I'll have to start again. Ouch!

I own and use both mirrorless (EOS R) and DSLR (5D II, 5D IV, 1D IV, 7D II) cameras. Simply, the mirrorless body is not even close to being as capable as the DSLRs. It copes well with slow-moving and static subjects, and in many light conditions, but it's just about useless as an action camera because of viewfinder lag and imprecise focus. (This rules out birding with it. Of my five bodies, it is the least capable for bird work, outclassed even by the ancient 5D II - a camera I have never regarded as suitable for bird work, not even when it was new and I was quite a lot younger.)

Also, the EVF can't cope with strong side-lighting. It becomes almost impossible to see what you are doing sometimes.

There are numerous other issues with the EOS R, mostly to do with rushed design and remarkably poor handling, but these are specific to that particular model and it is reasonable to assume that Canon will fix them in future releases, so they can be ignored in this context.

I'll be using my existing SLRs (and from time to time buying new ones) for the foreseeable future. Mirrorless technology isn't even close at present. I'll revisit the question if and when they come up with mirrorless systems suitable for birds and action. It will take major progress though.

(Note that I do use the mirrorless camera often, and get good results with it - but only for landscapes and other static subjects where its limitations are not generally relevant.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, I have absolutely none of those problems with either of my two mirrorless cameras. Maybe make/model specific?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast