Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Color, influence of adjacent colors

Ausphotography Veteran Brigitte's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color, influence of adjacent colors

Thought others might find this interesting. To check colours and tones of my photos (in Photoshop) I reduce the image size so that there is a good amount of background showing. I then switch from light grey to dark grey to black and finally white. Amazing how different the image can look depending on the background colour.

https://www.diyphotography.net/your-...and-heres-why/

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a LT, Brigitte!

It was interesting though
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it Brigitte making the BG those other three colours and I could not see any difference.
    No idea why, it could be age, tired eyes, monitor different could have been the Bird image I was cropping at the time.
    Thanks for Sharing though

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an interesting article. Thank you

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I tried it Brigitte making the BG those other three colours and I could not see any difference.
    No idea why, it could be age, tired eyes, monitor different could have been the Bird image I was cropping at the time.
    Thanks for Sharing though
    Try it on a rather dark or very light image.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Colour theory and all it entails is an amazing subject. Then once you get the overall gist of it, someone comes along who is colourblind and sends what you think you know, into a spin once again.

Then we have the issues of camera sensors to deal with, that can only 'see' a small part of what the human eye can. For example our eyes have a dynamic range of about 25 stops. Cameras are up to about 14 stops now. There is also a flaw in sensor tech that means a certain shade of blue (it is a blue-purpleish colour) cannot be rendered accurately by our sensors. It is fun when you accidentally stumble across this, because depending on the light, the result is either another shade of blue, or another shade of purple that the resultant photo has. It is quite intriguing if you stay in one place for a while as the light changes and take a series of photos. The results on your screen can be two completely different looking images due to this blue issue.

And then.. there are the limitations of our actual screens, which again change the way colours are rendered.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-07-2019 at 8:39am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

And then.. there are the limitations of our actual screens, which again change the way colours are rendered.
    Just been challenged by "The Screen" New laptop, colour looked great till I looked at a close up of a King Parrot he was orange, all the reds were more orange compared to my desktop.
    There were very few changes that could be made as the main culprit, night light was already off. After a few chat lines I eventually had new drivers put in. A bit better but not quite right. A great way to fill in a day or two