User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Looking for a wide angle lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a wide angle lens

Hi all. I will be taking a driving holiday in Tasmania in January and was thinking of adding a wide angle lens to my kit to get some landscape shots. My camera is a basic Canon 200D and my budget for a lens is sub $1000. I have been looking at the Canon 10-18mm, 10-22mm, Sigma 10-20mm and Tamron 10-24mm. If anyone has any advice or suggestions i would love to hear them as i am a little overwhelmed with my options and not sure which way to go

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 lens purely on value for money
    (although, it looks like it's been discontinued .. hard to find stock of and no longer listed on Sigma's website)

Later model lens in this focal length range is the f/3.5 version.
    I had a go with one once, IQ wasn't as good as my f4-f5.6 lens.

Never used the Canon lenses, but expect them to be very good.
    Never used the Tammy.

But, I'd also recommend to have a serious look at the Sigma 8-16mm lens too.
    One thing you can never have too much of, is the widest FoV aspect at your disposal.

I've also used the Tokina 11-16/2.8 lens too, slightly better than the Sigma 10-20, but I don't think it's worth the additional expense .. just another option to ponder.

Personally, if it were my $s, I'd go Sigma 8-16mm. A tad expensive for what it is, used to be a lot cheaper .. but you won't be disappointed with it's wide angle-ness!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Arthur,

I've had some unexpected expenses come up so i had a quick look at second hand lenses and found the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 for what i think is a very good price. I have placed an order for it and am looking forward to its arrival soon. Thanks again

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beg to differ with AK about your potential reactions to the Σ8-16 lens.

I have one and I like it a lot, but beware when you seriously want to have
    people in the frame!!! Unless you place them right in the centre of the frame
    and mostly use about f=16mm they will be grossly s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d. And so will other
    recognisable shapes. You don't notice it as much for landscapes, and where it occurs in
    them, it can appear aesthetically positive. This is because they produce a rectilinear
    projection across the field. But, if you like to stand in a corner of a room and get all 4
    walls in the shot, then OK.

I don't know your experience with w-a lenses, but with these uwa lenses there is a
    bit of re-learning how to use them. They are not just a usefully wide solution to your
    photographic desires.

2nd-lastly, if you do go for a Σ10-20, I can say that the slower (older) version of
    f/4.5 "is reputed to be overall sharper" than its f/3.5 descendant.

Lastly, the Σ8-16 and 10-20 lenses are all crop-sensor lenses, whereas the Σ 11-22
    is a "full-frame" lens (and maybe some others, but I don't know about them).
    Last edited by ameerat42; 16-07-2019 at 6:29am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both the Sigma 10-20 and Canon 10-22 (its not an "L") and recommend the Sigma over the Canon for value and (by a smidge) quality.
    Canon 5Ds, 16-35mm F4 L, 24-105mm F4 L.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Hi all. I will be taking a driving holiday in Tasmania in January and was thinking of adding a wide angle lens to my kit to get some landscape shots. My camera is a basic Canon 200D and my budget for a lens is sub $1000. I have been looking at the Canon 10-18mm, 10-22mm, Sigma 10-20mm and Tamron 10-24mm. If anyone has any advice or suggestions i would love to hear them as i am a little overwhelmed with my options and not sure which way to go. […]
    I've had some unexpected expenses come up so i had a quick look at second hand lenses and found the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 for what i think is a very good price. I have placed an order for it and am looking forward to its arrival soon. Thanks again
    Pity you pulled the trigger so quickly.

I am of the view that without knowing the purpose (which you supplied) and the existing lens kit (which you didn’t supply) any advice apropos a specific lens PURCHASE will be lacking, especially considering now that we know there's a big element that you’re strapped for cash. Other solutions to get good “landscape shots” might have been available.

Though probably not useful to you, this comment might be useful to others asking about 'what lens to buy?'

WW
    Last edited by William W; 16-07-2019 at 4:21pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Thank you Arthur,

I have this lens too and no experience with any other wide angle lenses, but I think it’s great and as noted, seems particularly pleasing in terms of value for money.