User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Downton Abbey - here's one I took today!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downton Abbey - here's one I took today!

For anyone who enjoyed the TV series (and who will watch the movie) here is proof that it is still alive and well in downtown UK.

I took this one this afternoon. You're not allowed to take photos inside, so I had to be happy with outside shots .... and I was.

small_downton abbey.jpg

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this composition, placing the Abbey in its surroundings with the typical English leaden skies adding some mood and drama to the scene.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The earth moved under Bob's feet when he took this
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    The earth moved under Bob's feet when he took this
    It's been doing a lot of that lately. A few days ago I was 3 kilometers up a mountain where the lack of oxygen was making me feel quite spaced out! Shortly I'll be on my way to Iceland, where the earth really does move under you!

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never did get into the series, and probably won't watch the movie but enjoyed viewing your photo.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand that .... it's like any TV series - once you get hooked all the iconic scenes become more relevant and remain totally uninteresting to those who haven't watched.

We have the main street for "Neighbours" (Ramsey Street) just around the corner, but it doesn't mean much to me never having watched the show.

A bit of a buzz being in the UK and seeing things like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great shot under typical British summer weather, well done. Coming from the UK originally I was amazed when i got to Aus just how blue the sky was down here.

I agree with the sentiment about "seeing things like this". Everything you grow up with becomes part of the background but things that are far away are always much more "foreign and exotic". I grew up in a major city in the UK, buildings that are more than a couple of centuries old are everywhere and are just part of the scenery. Every summer we used to get annoyed with the tourists stopping and gawping everywhere when you are just trying to get from A to B, but when I came over here I used to get questioned on "have you been to this place and what was it like..." and I'd have to reply "yeah I've been there loads of times, and it was a pain in the neck to get parked" as if the history was just accepted.

I had a young colleague who was going to the UK for a conference and was really looking forward to visiting Blackpool. I had to break it to him gently that it wasn't that exciting, it was usually cold and wet, the food was crap and the place was normally full of drunken hen and stag night parties. His vision was donkey rides and funfairs and candy floss, although he admitted when he got back that I was right.
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good composition and the foreground interest helps with the overall photo.