User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Powershot G3X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Powershot G3X

Long involved story but short version is we have been trying to find the 'right' camera for the bride. She has arthritis in the hands and now thickening of something affecting the movement of her fingers. So camera selection has been pretty harsh. As he hands have deteriorated the size and weight of the DSLR's have put them out of her reach. We have tried the point and shots, but they are getting too small and rather finky to be user friendly.

Brand has not been an issue and over the years have had just about something from most makers trying to find that one camera that would tick all boxes, or at least most boxes. Recently our local Camera House had a birthday anniversary and they had organised for their customers a mini trade fair week with one camera rep and one accessory rep each day. Must say from an enthusiast view point it was great. May have meant going into the shop each day but just to check out and be able to use and play with all the gear and toys was awesome. So many things now on the list to get.

On the Canon day I was really impressed with the range the reps had on display, particularly after the other reps maybe having 6-10 cameras out, the Canon guys just about had all their camera range out. The bride wasn't have a good day so she stayed at home while I looked. After looking at their new full frame mirrorless got talking about the bride's situation and started at the other end of the table at there G3X, also referred to as a Bridge Camera. https://www.canon.com.au/cameras/powershot-g3x

So impressed with what the G3X offered later that afternoon I took the bride back to the shop and set her up with the Rep to go through the features etc of the G3X and allow her to play with the camera which was a good day to play as due to the colder weather her hands were not good. She found the weight and size of the camera to be good in her hands and the larger fixed lens barrel to be ideal to hold. The zoom of the lens is more then adequate for her needs and the stabilisation at full zoom pretty impressive.

While some of the controls on the camera body were proving difficult, the rear screen is full touch control and apart from zooming the lens all other adjustments could be made on the screen proving that on a bad day she can still easily use the camera. The other big plus was the image she settled on in the screen is what the photo will be, what you see is what you get. Which was one of the bigger issues with there current camera she has. The shutter button needed to have that half press to get the iris to close/open to see what the shot would be. Some what annoying for her.

After playing with the camera on and off over the next maybe half to 3/4s of an hour she was very impressed with the G3X and looks like this week she will be getting one.

Does anyone here own or used one, any real issues anyone has found with the Powershot G3X? Our searches online have the cons as ; no EVF, no 4k video, Max aperture of f2.8. These are not issues that will affect her photography or use of the camera so they are not a problem for her.
    Cheers Al

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after several weeks from ordering the G3X and a few emails by our local Camera House guys and the bride making a few comments on the Canon Australia Facebook page, which Canon finally replied via PM and a few PMs exchanged the bride's camera finally arrived late last week. Went yesterday and she finally got her new camera. She is wrapped to have a camera she can use. Canon seem to have an odd arrangement with Camera House and how they do deliveries. Anyhow all good now, the learning and fun begins for her.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks an interesting (little) camera, BJ.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Looks an interesting (little) camera, BJ.

It is a bit like the story of Goldilocks and three cameras (bears). The Bride has arthritis issues in the hands and finds the DSLRs are too big and heavy to comfortably use. The little point and shoots while light enough are too small and fiddly to comfortably use, while the 'Bridge Cameras' suit the balancing act. It has then been the mission to find one that ticked the most boxes.

The larger diameter barrel of the lens gave her the ability to comfortably hold and balance the camera and be able to use it. I know it doesn't sound much but it wasn't until we went out on the weekend to 'use' both our new cameras that the Bride found something else out. She found herself becoming very anxious, in a bad way, brought on by all the issues she has had before trying to use her previous cameras and having unpleasant experiences with them. Sometime it is the little things that have the biggest impact.

We went bush on Sunday and parked down on a little creek bed in one of the local State Forests and left her with it while I walked of down stream to see what I could find. Returned maybe half an hour later and she seemed happy with the camera. After a picnic lunch we went to another location, this time I left my camera in the vehicle and stayed with the Bride and we talked about a few things with the camera, how to use it, what was going to be the easiest way for her to use it etc. This location was on one of the rivers in the area which had a large body of water and a road bridge and rail bridge further up stream. We went through a lot of settings etc on the camera to find the easiest way for her to use it and got a few images she was happy with.

Third location was about 20kms up stream to some a shallow section with the water flowing through some reeds/weeds. Again left my camera in the vehicle and set the Bride up with the tripod aiming for a slower shutter with the moving water and the reeds. The last location was the local lookout over Coffs Harbour. This time, as there was people around, I left the Bride to it and took the dog for a walk with him on the leash. After people had left the Sky Pier I joined the Bride and she was playing with the zoom, 28 - 600, plus whatever the digital zoom offered. Crazy zoom really with the Bride astonished there were people down on the beach.

At these locations the camera was on her tripod and was the first time I had used her tripod. When looking for a tripod we went with a lightweight one that the Bride felt comfortable using. Using the tripod myself I did not think much of it at all. My thoughts of the tripod were supported when I loaded her photos onto the laptop. That annoying shutter release camera shake. Not being used to Canon out in the field I couldn't find the self timer which was not helping. Really though the tripod was just too light and really too fiddly, painful to use. The Bride now has a new Benro Itrip tripod with large clips for the legs and a 'lever' style knob for the ball head and a tripod that actually stays still.

Anyhow after the Sunday shoot the Brides anxiety stopped and she is now happy again to take photos. Will see how she goes net tie we go out.