User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Interesting article around copyright...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Interesting article around copyright...

Whilst not a photo, copyright still applies and some interesting arguments put forth here about the issues around copyright.

I found this statement particularly oblivious to copyright law "It's quite unusual for copyright to be held by an individual and controlled by an individual rather than a government or statutory authority who, maybe for policy reasons, has other interests in mind," Ms Phillips said.

Read the full article here and maybe we can discuss it further in this thread
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The owner of the Copyright, Harold Thomas, was awarded sole copyright over his design, by law, and has already given various organisations permission to reproduce his design
    "Mr Thomas said it was his common law right to choose who he enters licensing agreements with" and has chosen who he trusts

We could also ask who now owns the Ugg boots name and the global rights and who owns various music titles that were once Australian
    Any photogaph produced by a independent photographer can be reassigned, or licensed for someone else to use or just kept for themselves
    I can't see how the Government could just declare something to be a national symbol and take copyright without the owner's permission and pay compensation if requested...

The owner must have the right to not handover copyright if they so choose....
    Last edited by flashc; 14-06-2019 at 3:38am.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't have to read far to get the salient point - moaning about money-making
    Last edited by ameerat42; 14-06-2019 at 7:02am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I never knew the Aboriginal flag copyright was owned by an individual!! My first thought was that it was crazy - surely a national icon such as a flag should be subject to fair use rights? But then it was't a recognised national flag until 1995, I didn't know that either.

Didn't read the entire article, but almost more than the interesting copyright points it unfortunately goes to highlight the troubled past and struggle faced by Aboriginal people...

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Whilst not a photo, copyright still applies and some interesting arguments put forth here about the issues around copyright.

I found this statement particularly oblivious to copyright law "It's quite unusual for copyright to be held by an individual and controlled by an individual rather than a government or statutory authority who, maybe for policy reasons, has other interests in mind," Ms Phillips said.

Read the full article here and maybe we can discuss it further in this thread
    Rick, I think that the statement made must be taken to mean what it says only within the context of it being an official national flag.

One can be sued for making and selling our traditional flag without consent.

However, if the Australian government wants to hold the copyright to the Aboriginal flag, it can compulsorily acquire it, but must pay "just compensation" to the owner in accordance with the Federal Constitution (the "Castle" principle"). S.51, IIRC.