Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
Hi and sorry if this belongs in the canon section i wasnt sure where to put it.

So im new to the world of dslr and all the fancy terms with it like neutral density and cpl filters but what i do know is these seem to be imprtant to have so im just wondering a good place to get a kit of these that wont break the bank, i noticed this on amazon https://www.amazon.com.au/Neewer-Fil.../dp/B00SMG9HNU and im wondering if it would be worth investing in?

It will be mostly used for landscape shots with steam locomotives in frame along with some stock photography at times and hopfuly being able to use it with new lenses i will buy in the future so i dont have mutiple kits about.

Also another thing im wondering is whats a decent bag? i would like something that can carry my camera (canon 1500D) along with 2 extra lenses and the gear needed but not be a backpack i idealy would like it to be able to fit into the backpack i already own (its my multiuse old school bag that i keep for carrying my laptop and fishing tackle) i was looking at a lowepro one but i dont think that would work for me now since it would also need to survive a trip in a suzuki sierra for some of the places i would like to take photo's at like cape york and the old telegraph track and some of the tracks there like gunshot creek.

Thanks for any help that is given it helps not only me but anyone who reads this wondering the exact same questions on what to buy.
Don't get a cheap bag if you plan to do many corrugated tracks/roads in a Sierra.
Can't help with a specific bag, but make sure it's well designed for your needs and keeps the camera/lenses secured in their respective pockets.
Worst track I've done was the Anne Beadell hwy, in a very crappy car, which shook all my teeth out. Camera gear was fine tho.
The only lens I had fear for was the Tamron 300/2.8 which sits in it's own hard case, which I usually have on the floor. I stopped and placed it on the back seat just to be sure, even tho it was probably OK, as the case is well padded.

For filters, I'd also avoid this type of kit.
Mainly because there's too much stuff you won't ever use.

As already said, get a CPL(circular polariser). Cost about $40-ish or so(give or take).
Search online if need be.
Hoya, Kenko and Marumi are my faved/preferred brands in various guises.
I have good Kenko CPLs, and I have bad(cheapie).
The bad one still gives good image quality, but it badly made, where it falls to pieces regularly. Not surprising given it's price, but not happy with it either.
Marumi is good value for money.
Hoya's are generally more expensive for a given quality level.

First thing is to determine what size filters you will need for your 2 or 3 lenses. A bit unsure how many lenses, going by your description above ... is that bag for camera and lens + 2 more lenses(ie. 3 lenses).
ND filter I very rarely use them, I prefer to shoot in appropriate light conditions(ie. for long exposure), but can understand this is not always possible. They can be handy to have, but not vital.
A CPL filter is a mild(1-2 stop) ND filter anyhow and with a bit of adaptability, you can always make do for a given situation.
My preferred ND filters are graduated to help balance exposure variances. But these can get expensive!