I inherited (unfortunately, literally) a MacBook pro retina 15" from eldest son in 2014.

Having been a consulting Engineer for many decades I was definitely a windows person and put his computer to one side when it was returned, but after 6 months I decided I should give it a go.

Its a pain having to do things Apples way but I really love the screen. It seems very true and hardly needs any adjustment (none really) when recalibrating. In fact I bought an iMac 27" for my photography at home as well

But the battery is now cactus and being quoted $800 to replace. There's some keyboard issues, and whatever i do it will still be a 6 year old unit. So time to replace

I'm pretty sure I'll replace it with a another MacBook pro 15" retina but before I splash out $4500 on one I thought I'd seek advice on possible windows based (more useable and a lot cheaper) units that have as good a screen.

We generally have a short 2-3 week holiday in the first half of the year and a longer 2-3 month one in the second half, usually in ur caravan but probably a couple of o/s longer trips in the next couple of years so a good laptop is a necessity

Help please